Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-31-2020, 12:31 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Sabbath and bible feasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
When I marked my calendar, I noticed that the new moon is identified, so knowing that the biblical calendar begins March after the new moon, and passover is two weeks later, and pentecost is 50 days afterwards made the calendar comprehensible.

My first goal for 2021 is to finish reading the Septuagint by the end of February.
Second goal is to do a study on bible holy days before passover.

A note about the beginning of the month: The astronomical "new moon" is when the moon is completely invisible to the naked eye. The Biblical new moon is when the first sliver of a visible crescent is sited (nobody had high powered telescopes back in Bible days or computers to plot the exact course of the moon). If a regular calendar has the new moon marked, the visible new moon will usually be 1-3 days later. The cool thing about modern astronomy is we can identify when the visible new moon should be seen (unless the weather interferes, clouds etc).

Personally, we actually try to sight the new moon in the seventh month (Day of Trumpets) because it provides some built in uncertainty about the actual day ("maybe today, maybe tomorrow? Maybe the next day?") which I think is in keeping with the purpose and symbolism of the Day. It heralds the upcoming Atonement Day (a type of Judgment day) and thus it maintains the Biblical uncertainty of the "exact day and hour" for Judgment. It helps maintain the "looking forward to and expectation of and being ready for" the final disposition of things.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 12-31-2020, 12:46 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

A note about the beginning of the month: The astronomical "new moon" is when the moon is completely invisible to the naked eye. The Biblical new moon is when the first sliver of a visible crescent is sited (nobody had high powered telescopes back in Bible days or computers to plot the exact course of the moon). If a regular calendar has the new moon marked, the visible new moon will usually be 1-3 days later. The cool thing about modern astronomy is we can identify when the visible new moon should be seen (unless the weather interferes, clouds etc).

Personally, we actually try to sight the new moon in the seventh month (Day of Trumpets) because it provides some built in uncertainty about the actual day ("maybe today, maybe tomorrow? Maybe the next day?") which I think is in keeping with the purpose and symbolism of the Day. It heralds the upcoming Atonement Day (a type of Judgment day) and thus it maintains the Biblical uncertainty of the "exact day and hour" for Judgment. It helps maintain the "looking forward to and expectation of and being ready for" the final disposition of things.
By way of explanation, I view holy days as a teaching method. They are designed to teach us things as we reflect on "why is this done?" The important thing is to learn by doing, and as learning is always a progression, one can expect to "make lots of mistakes" in the beginning. But it's all good, because Jesus is our Teacher and we are His students and we are learning as we go. He isn't a mean headmaster with rod of correction just waiting for an opportunity to smack our knuckles when we hit the wrong note on the piano.

It's like teaching a baby to walk. The parent is overjoyed at each successful step the baby takes. If the baby falls, the parent helps the baby back up. The whole process - the successes, and the "fails" - are all part of the joy of learning and growing. God is our Father, and we are His children, literally.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Old 01-01-2021, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
By way of explanation, I view holy days as a teaching method. They are designed to teach us things as we reflect on "why is this done?" The important thing is to learn by doing, and as learning is always a progression, one can expect to "make lots of mistakes" in the beginning. But it's all good, because Jesus is our Teacher and we are His students and we are learning as we go. He isn't a mean headmaster with rod of correction just waiting for an opportunity to smack our knuckles when we hit the wrong note on the piano.

It's like teaching a baby to walk. The parent is overjoyed at each successful step the baby takes. If the baby falls, the parent helps the baby back up. The whole process - the successes, and the "fails" - are all part of the joy of learning and growing. God is our Father, and we are His children, literally.
The bolded seems to be equating keeping feasts and sabbaths with growing in the Lord.

Steve Waldron on Christians and feast days and sabbaths.

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 01-01-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
The bolded seems to be equating keeping feasts and sabbaths with growing in the Lord.
Growing in the Lord is about learning to know God in all areas of life.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Growing in the Lord is about learning to know God in all areas of life.
But should not the focus be how Christ fulfilled those feasts, and that we are not commanded to observe them?
Old 01-03-2021, 03:43 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

The feasts that have been fulfilled:

Passover, Jesus crucified
Unleavened Bread, Jesus wrapped in a cloth and buried
First Fruits, Jesus Resurrected
Pentecost, Jesus pours out His Spirit

All fulfilled on the literal feast day!

The feasts not yet fulfilled:

The Feast of Trumpets, Jesus Returns
The Atonement, The judgement day
The feast of Tabernacles and the last great day. The millennial reign and heaven

The last feasts have yet to be fulfilled.

Far more meaningful then Santa, the Easter bunny, Cupid, and Spooks.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The feasts that have been fulfilled:

Passover, Jesus crucified
Unleavened Bread, Jesus wrapped in a cloth and buried
First Fruits, Jesus Resurrected
Pentecost, Jesus pours out His Spirit

All fulfilled on the literal feast day!

The feasts not yet fulfilled:

The Feast of Trumpets, Jesus Returns
The Atonement, The judgement day
The feast of Tabernacles and the last great day. The millennial reign and heaven

The last feasts have yet to be fulfilled.

Far more meaningful then Santa, the Easter bunny, Cupid, and Spooks.
I wonder if Preterists see the latter ones as having been fulfilled. I would like to know. But Scripture does seem to indicate Christ has fulfilled all the Law.

Last edited by Originalist; 01-03-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I wonder if Preterists see the latter ones as having been fulfilled. I would like to know. But Scripture does seem to indicate Christ has fulfilled all the Law.
I also think the preterist likely see all fulfilled.

The feasts are prophetic, not all prophecy is fulfilled.

Also, the spring feasts are the gospel, the death, burial, resurrection of Christ, and the outpouring of the Holy Ghost. All things to keep in remembrance.

Last edited by Amanah; 01-03-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I also think the preterist likely see all fulfilled.

The feasts are prophetic, not all prophecy is fulfilled.

Also, the spring feasts are the gospel, the death, burial, resurrection of Christ, and the outpouring of the Holy Ghost. All things to keep in remembrance.
Since we now have the substance of the things those feasts predicted, then what is the point of observing them? Having knowledge of them is fine for context. But making a yearly practice of observing them tends towards Judaizing, in my opinion. I feel the same when a see a Gentile believer throwing a rabbinical shawl around his shoulders and having a Friday evening "sabbath observance." We are not called to act and look Jewish.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:53 AM

As a remembrance of Jesus's sacrifice.
As a reminder to watch and be ready for Jesus's return.
To have biblical holidays instead of pagan holidays.

I spoke with my family about it, and they are amiable and interested to see what we come up with to observe them.