Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM
On the road less traveled

Do you celebrate The Lord's Supper?

This is something that I have been wondering about recently. I know that many churches on New Year's Eve celebrate the Lord's Supper with communion, and some even with foot washing.

How many have done this, or did it this past New Year's Eve?

My question is this... where did the current tradition of doing it on New Year's Eve come from? Is it biblical to do it only on New Year's Eve or Easter.... or more often?

I looked up the five passages of scripture in the Bible that specifically reference the Lord's Supper, and will post them below.

Matthew 26:26
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. 30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Mark 14:22-26
22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body. 23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.
24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many. 25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God. 26 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Luke 22:15-20
15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: 16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. 17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. 19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1 Cor. 10:16-17

16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

1 Cor. 11:23-34
18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Based on the scripture references above, do you think the Lord's Supper is something that should be done once a year on New Year's Eve, or Easter, or should it be something that we do each time we come together to fellowship and break bread?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Re: Do you celebrate The Lord's Supper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
This is something that I have been wondering about recently. I know that many churches on New Year's Eve celebrate the Lord's Supper with communion, and some even with foot washing.

My question is this... where did the current tradition of doing it on New Year's Eve come from? Is it biblical to do it only on New Year's Eve or Easter.... or more often?

I looked up the five passages of scripture in the Bible that specifically reference the Lord's Supper, and will post them below.

Matthew 26:26
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. 30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Mark 14:22-26
22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body. 23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.
24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many. 25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God. 26 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Luke 22:15-20
15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: 16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. 17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. 19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1 Cor. 10:16-17

16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

1 Cor. 11:23-34
18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.
33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Based on the scripture references above, do you think the Lord's Supper is something that should be done once a year on New Year's Eve, or Easter, or should it be something that we do each time we come together to fellowship and break bread?
We held communion Christmas Eve and New Years eve but normally we do it monthly.

Christ said as oft as you do this do it in remembrance of Him. I think we can not do communion enough, I love the broken body and the shed blood.

As far as foot washing. At mid-night I had had a foot washing service with my wife in our living-room. I love her and I washed her feet and prayed a blessing over her for this next year.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Sister Alvear

That is so sweet...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Our church has communion two or three times a year. Didn't have it for New Years, but will probably have it some time in the next month or so.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM
of 9!! :)

Jesus said as oft as you do this....
I don't guess there is a certain amount of times it
needs to be done each year, but, it should be done.

Our church did communion and the foot washing on New
Year's Eve this year. Sometimes we do it around Easter.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM
mary

I've aad communion and footwashing on New Year's Eve many times, but generally now celebrate once every month or two.

Churches I know of that do Communion and footwashing on New Year's see it as a new beginning, a fresh start on a new year.

Is 'as oft as ye think of it' a matter of as often as we think of Communion or Jesus' death nnd resurrection or as often as we come together? Is 'do this in rememberance of me' as often as they celebrated Passover, which would be yearly, Or more often?

I never realized 'as often as you think of it' was not part of any of the gospels. 1 Cor 11:17-22, 33-34 doesn't seem to be communion as it's tradionally thought of, because no one could go home drunk or full from communion as it's celebrated in most churches today. 1 Cor 11:17-22,33-34 sounds more like a church fellowship dinner. (And might do some good to be read before those too!)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
We held communion Christmas Eve and New Years eve but normally we do it monthly.

Christ said as oft as you do this do it in remembrance of Him. I think we can not do communion enough, I love the broken body and the shed blood.

As far as foot washing. At mid-night I had had a foot washing service with my wife in our living-room. I love her and I washed her feet and prayed a blessing over her for this next year.
Wow! That has to be the post of the day! What a precious way to show your love to your wife!! Thank you for sharing that. I never thought of foot washing as husband-wife doing it, but what a beautiful way to show your love for each other!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
I've aad communion and footwashing on New Year's Eve many times, but generally now celebrate once every month or two.

Churches I know of that do Communion and footwashing on New Year's see it as a new beginning, a fresh start on a new year.

Is 'as oft as ye think of it' a matter of as often as we think of Communion or Jesus' death nnd resurrection or as often as we come together? Is 'do this in rememberance of me' as often as they celebrated Passover, which would be yearly, Or more often?

I never realized 'as often as you think of it' was not part of any of the gospels. 1 Cor 11:17-22, 33-34 doesn't seem to be communion as it's tradionally thought of, because no one could go home drunk or full from communion as it's celebrated in most churches today. 1 Cor 11:17-22,33-34 sounds more like a church fellowship dinner. (And might do some good to be read before those too!)
Yes, I've thought about what Jesus said, "do this in remembrance of me", although he did not say how often. Then, we see the NT church having the Lord's Supper as often as they got together to fellowship.

Perhaps the part about the Lord's Supper that most worry about is this part, where Paul says, "Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord."

It seems that having the Lord's Supper together as a group of people would be somewhat easier to do on a more regular basis in a house setting where food is already spread out, and perhaps before the meal is served, everyone could participate in the Lord's Supper before partaking of the meal? Or, it could happen as everyone gathers together after the meal, and before the service begins.

Perhaps it could take place in cell groups, or outreach services of the church, (if the size of the congregation is huge, which can be a problem all in itself.) The Lord's Supper seems to lend itself to small, informal, fellowship type gatherings, where everyone knows each other, and yet where body ministry is in place, and in this way could take place more than once or twice a year, perhaps once a month.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 AM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post

Quote:
Wow! That has to be the post of the day! What a precious way to show your love to your wife!! Thank you for sharing that. I never thought of foot washing as husband-wife doing it, but what a beautiful way to show your love for each other!
I agree with KBTW.....what a precious act of love that was!!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:

We eat the Lord's Supper often. I have come to the conclusion based on my studies that the Lord's Supper is (supposed to be) whenever Christians come together and have a meal together. Bread and wine are used (usually) but are not 100 percent necessary, in my opinion. (Although bread and wine are necessary to share the bread and the cup, of course...)

The 'communion' that passes for the Lord's Supper among most Protestant (including Pentecostal) churches is anything but.

The bread and cup are shared, expressing our 'communion' ie sharing with one another in the merits of Christ. One loaf, one body, one cup, one covenant, one faith, one Lord, etc etc.

The Supper ought to be a SUPPER, an actual meal (commonly called the 'agape' by theologians).

Too much superstition left over from the catholic MASS surrounds the common 'communion' service among Pentecostals. Such as - the need for DEEP INTROSPECTION to somehow get yourself worthy to 'partake'. Face it, you ain't worthy and never will be. Paul warned against partaking in an unworthy manner, and it had nothing to do with mere bread and wine, but with 'not discerning the Lord's Body' - ie THE CHURCH, one's FELLOW BELIEVERS, as members of the SAME BODY. Paul warned about turning the Lord's Supper into one's own supper and despising one's brethren. This would put you in the same position as JUDAS, not a good thing.

I believe the evidence indicates they ate 'the Lord's Supper' just about whenever they gathered together.

We eat it every sabbath, and sometime more often.

We use leavened bread except during Passover, or if we just want to use unleavened bread. There is no scripture which demands it be either one (except during Passover, which of course requires unleavened bread anyway). And there are good scriptural arguments for both positions, therefore I conclude it is not really relevant.

We use one loaf, which is shared, and one cup, which is shared. The squeamish who are afraid to drink after their brethren might use one cup to pour a drink into each person's cup, if that makes people feel better.

The way we do it is basically like this:

1. We say a blessing and give thanks for whatever drink we have (everyone drinks their own cup).
2. We give thanks for bread and break a piece off and pass the bread, everyone breaks off a pice and eats it.
3. We eat the meal.
4. At the end of the meal we say a blessing and give thanks for the wine in the cup of blessing, and pass it around.

This follows the pattern indicated in Luke, which is identical with the other gospel accounts EXCEPT there is a mention of a cup BEFORE the meal.

All the accounts seem to indicate the bread came with or at the beginning of the meal, and the cup of blessing (the shared cup) came at the END of the meal. Although, I wouldn't say this is dogmatically how it MUST be done.

Remember, the Lord's Supper is just that - a group of disciples eating dinner with Jesus. Keep it simple and avoid superstition and everything is well.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf