Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: Do you celebrate The Lord's Supper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
We eat the Lord's Supper often. I have come to the conclusion based on my studies that the Lord's Supper is (supposed to be) whenever Christians come together and have a meal together. Bread and wine are used (usually) but are not 100 percent necessary, in my opinion. (Although bread and wine are necessary to share the bread and the cup, of course...)

The 'communion' that passes for the Lord's Supper among most Protestant (including Pentecostal) churches is anything but.
I have long felt that the Lord's Supper as celebrated in most Protestant churches is far from how the NT church celebrated it. I was hoping for your input, because I remember there was a similar discussion sometime back.

Quote:
The bread and cup are shared, expressing our 'communion' ie sharing with one another in the merits of Christ. One loaf, one body, one cup, one covenant, one faith, one Lord, etc etc.

The Supper ought to be a SUPPER, an actual meal (commonly called the 'agape' by theologians).
Excellent. I think so too. And... further... even if you have a large church group, this would lend itself to being held in a more intimate home/fellowship setting.

Quote:
Too much superstition left over from the catholic MASS surrounds the common 'communion' service among Pentecostals. Such as - the need for DEEP INTROSPECTION to somehow get yourself worthy to 'partake'. Face it, you ain't worthy and never will be. Paul warned against partaking in an unworthy manner, and it had nothing to do with mere bread and wine, but with 'not discerning the Lord's Body' - ie THE CHURCH, one's FELLOW BELIEVERS, as members of the SAME BODY. Paul warned about turning the Lord's Supper into one's own supper and despising one's brethren. This would put you in the same position as JUDAS, not a good thing.
THANK YOU FOR THIS INSIGHT! This makes so much sense. I truly think this is the main reason many don't celebrate the Lord's Supper because they feel unworthy. Thank you for this simple explanation.

Quote:
I believe the evidence indicates they ate 'the Lord's Supper' just about whenever they gathered together.

We eat it every sabbath, and sometime more often.

We use leavened bread except during Passover, or if we just want to use unleavened bread. There is no scripture which demands it be either one (except during Passover, which of course requires unleavened bread anyway). And there are good scriptural arguments for both positions, therefore I conclude it is not really relevant.

We use one loaf, which is shared, and one cup, which is shared. The squeamish who are afraid to drink after their brethren might use one cup to pour a drink into each person's cup, if that makes people feel better.

The way we do it is basically like this:

1. We say a blessing and give thanks for whatever drink we have (everyone drinks their own cup).
2. We give thanks for bread and break a piece off and pass the bread, everyone breaks off a pice and eats it.
3. We eat the meal.
4. At the end of the meal we say a blessing and give thanks for the wine in the cup of blessing, and pass it around.

This follows the pattern indicated in Luke, which is identical with the other gospel accounts EXCEPT there is a mention of a cup BEFORE the meal.

All the accounts seem to indicate the bread came with or at the beginning of the meal, and the cup of blessing (the shared cup) came at the END of the meal. Although, I wouldn't say this is dogmatically how it MUST be done.

Remember, the Lord's Supper is just that - a group of disciples eating dinner with Jesus. Keep it simple and avoid superstition and everything is well.

Thank you for sharing how you choose to celebrate the Lord's Supper in your home. It sounds like a very special and sweet time of fellowship and love as your fellow brethren gather together to worship the Lord. I would think this would be very meaningful each time a fellowship/gathering took place, how ever often that may be.

It is my hope that this discussion will open up the hearts and minds of all those involved in ministry/cell groups/home fellowships or even a large church ... to reconsider how often they partake of the Lord's Supper, and to realize that it DOES NOT have to take place in a church building, but that it may be the most appropriate in a home or small group setting, wherever that may be.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 PM
mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Perhaps the part about the Lord's Supper that most worry about is this part, where Paul says, "Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord."
The descriptioss I've read about Communion as part of a fellowship meal are beautiful.

As non-Jewish Christians I think we often miss a lot of the meaning of Communion as it began, as part of the Passover meal. At Passover, if a house was too small for a lamb, they were to share it with their nearest neighbor. (Ex12:4) At Communion, each was to wait on the others, not leaving one hungry and another full. Any male, even foreigners and aliens, who had been circumcised could eat of it, just as those who have been baptized may.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Our church has communion at the end of every Sunday Service. End of service goes like this;

1. At end of sermon Pastor gives invitation to come pray and announces that communion is available on either side at the front.
2. Band plays instrumental and people pray as folks go through the line at the communion tables.
3. Once the last person has taken communion the band plays the last praise and worship song. If folks are praying in the altar (we don't really have any altars so I mean up front) then the band will continue to play an instrumental and not start singing until they are done (typically).
4. Dismissal
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Our church has communion at the end of every Sunday Service. End of service goes like this;

1. At end of sermon Pastor gives invitation to come pray and announces that communion is available on either side at the front.
2. Band plays instrumental and people pray as folks go through the line at the communion tables.
3. Once the last person has taken communion the band plays the last praise and worship song. If folks are praying in the altar (we don't really have any altars so I mean up front) then the band will continue to play an instrumental and not start singing until they are done (typically).
4. Dismissal
That sounds like a great way to do it with a large group of people!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
The descriptioss I've read about Communion as part of a fellowship meal are beautiful.

As non-Jewish Christians I think we often miss a lot of the meaning of Communion as it began, as part of the Passover meal. At Passover, if a house was too small for a lamb, they were to share it with their nearest neighbor. (Ex12:4) At Communion, each was to wait on the others, not leaving one hungry and another full. Any male, even foreigners and aliens, who had been circumcised could eat of it, just as those who have been baptized may.
Yes, I think the original intention for having the Lord's Supper, was to share a meal, and then to partake together in the memory of the Lord and what happened at Calvary. Having it in an intimate, small fellowship setting would lend itself to a more meaningful, and personal remembrance and celebration of the Lord. I would think having the Lord's Supper with a large crowd such as at CC1's church could be meaningful, but perhaps not as meaningful and personal as it could be in a smaller home fellowship setting.