Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Televangelist's Family Prosper's From Ministry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
Oh come on. Every time someone brings up the faults of the trinitarians another person cries out "but you guys do it to." It gets old. Yeah, 'our' people are just as guilty, or more so. No one is disputing that.
The Trinity and Oneness issue does not play into this - at least not to my knowledge. It seems to be a thing that the Pentecostal/Charismatics are plagued with. Financial scandal appears to be at epidemic levels among them, and it's quite disproportionate when comparing to the nonPentecostal religious community.

I think it's noteworthy that these same ministry types are also know to shun the accountability organizations (like http://www.ecfa.org/ ) that can help prevent and rectify the problems in question.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
Curious as to why K Haney is lumped in with tv preachers...
Just wondering how a large organization like the UPC compares to radio ministries like Focus on the Family and to TV ministries like some of those I've listed.

Do we have any idea what kind of compensation those guys receive?
If they are non-profit, shouldn't information like that be available to the public?
Shouldn't there be some type of "watch dog" organization(s) monitoring them?
Are they hiding something?
If salaries are hidden and they are not paying taxes, doesn't that put more of a burden on those of us who are paying taxes?
I pay taxes on Social Security and a pension. Should others get by without paying taxes on income? or should real income be disguised and hidden so taxes (if any) are lower?

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Banned

This is why I favor house churches and bi-vocational elders.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
This is why I favor house churches and bi-vocational elders.
Both of these ideas are totoally unscriptural and spring from the mind of philosofizers wishing to imbibe on the solitary solitude of dispositional and panderamically sertalocadratious individuals!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:35 AM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the raven View Post
Both of these ideas are totoally unscriptural and spring from the mind of philosofizers wishing to imbibe on the solitary solitude of dispositional and panderamically sertalocadratious individuals!
House churches are unscriptural? What Bible are you reading?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Both of these ideas are totally unscriptural and spring from the mind of philosophizers wishing to imbibe on the solitary solitude of dispositional and panderamically sertalocadratious individuals!
Um. Can you translate, please?

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 07-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
House churches are unscriptural? What Bible are you reading?

Currently I am not reading the bible however if you are wanting an explanation to my statement, I was not speaking in unilatteral terms but rather sociological and post modernistic ideaology. Within the foundation of scripture both the house and cathedral at large were used for worship however in our age the church in corporate form within a contextual conceptualization and authoritarian circumferance is the intended encapsulation for kairological outpourings in a chronistically saturated society.

That's all I was trying to say.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Currently I am not reading the bible however if you are wanting an explanation to my statement, I was not speaking in unilatteral terms but rather sociological and post modernistic ideaology. Within the foundation of scripture both the house and cathedral at large were used for worship however in our age the church in corporate form within a contextual conceptualization and authoritarian circumferance is the intended encapsulation for kairological outpourings in a chronistically saturated society.

That's all I was trying to say.
The Raven, you said house churches are unscriptural. You're wrong on that. Save all the fancy wording for someone who's interested. Who cares if the predominant way we meet today is in church buildings? That in no way makes house churches unscriptural.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
The Raven, you said house churches are unscriptural. You're wrong on that. Save all the fancy wording for someone who's interested. Who cares if the predominant way we meet today is in church buildings? That in no way makes house churches unscriptural.
You are correct in that I said what you said I said BUT I did not mean what I said in the way that you interpreted what I said as being what I meant by what I said.

What I meant by what I said is given in the post that does not matter to you. I now believe it is scriptural just not in the exact essence of the meaning in which you possibly feel.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
You are correct in that I said what you said I said BUT I did not mean what I said in the way that you interpreted what I said as being what I meant by what I said.

What I meant by what I said is given in the post that does not matter to you. I now believe it is scriptural just not in the exact essence of the meaning in which you possibly feel.
If you are interested in what I believe I will tell you that I believe in a sort of hybrid arrangement. My family and another family have started having house meetings. So far we have only been able to meet once. Neither family has a traditional church it belongs to, in case you are wondering. At our meeting we talked about incorporating visits to traditional churches so we can enjoy some corporate praise and worship. Unfortunately, our second meeting was cancelled, and we haven't scheduled another one yet. I am very much waiting to see how our meetings develop and what God does with our efforts.