Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Go Dodgers!

What was this "second filling" and do we need it too?

Act 4:29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
Act 4:30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.
Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

What was this? A second filling? How often do we experience this in our lives or churches so that the members are empowered again to speak the word with Boldness?

How are the signs and wonders and operation of the gifts at your church?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Are we full of faith and the Holy Ghost ,many are Spirit Filled but do they have faith to believe no matter what circumstances and emotions say ?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

There have been many fillings over the years. I believe they do encourage us to speak boldly.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

There is a birth of the Spirit.
That experience puts us into the family of God and also into the Church or Body of Christ.
After the initial new birth experience, we are to "keep getting filled" or "be ongoingly filled" with the Spirit per Ephesians 5:17-21

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

There are several fillings mentioned in the Bible.

For example
The Apostle Peter would be considered "saved" while he was a disciple of Jesus, then sent out to preach the kingdom (Matthew chapter 10)
After he had seen the risen Lord and believed on Him, he was among those who "received" the Holy Spirit in John 20:19-23 on resurrection day after Jesus had ascended to the Father and returned to earth.
Then, after fellowshipping with the resurrected Christ, Peter was among those commanded to wait in Jerusalem for an experience in the Spirit compared to a baptism in water. We call this the HGB or Holy Ghost Baptism (Acts 1:4-8).
10 days later on the day of Pentecost Peter and about 119 others were baptized or filled with the Spirit (Acts 2:1-4)
Some time after Pentecost, Peter stood before the Council and it says he was filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 4:8)
Later Peter was among others who were filled with the Spirit (Acts 4:23-31)

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Prax,

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but I soon envision a break-off of the Apostolic church that says you have to obey Acts 2:38 UPC style, keep standards AND get a second filling in order to be saved!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Prax,

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but I soon envision a break-off of the Apostolic church that says you have to obey Acts 2:38 UPC style, keep standards AND get a second filling in order to be saved!
I was looking at this more from a dynamic stand point. There are those that view Pentecost more of an empowering thing than a salvational. I view this verse I am referring too as totally dynamic/empowering, that I think we STRONGLY need. I am not against TV advertisement etc etc, but....I never see tongues and interpretations on TBN telecasts and the so called prophecies are just some body claiming they can "speak to your situation" and God is obligated to do it....hooey!

We need the real demonstration of the Spirit of God at work and the only way we are going to get that is if we drop all our personal agendas and wait in him in prayer to be empowered. I wonder if we are better at fighting and debating than we are at operating the gifts and reaching sinners