Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 AM
coksiw coksiw is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,330
Different Responses to the Word of God

The Lord Jesus taught us through the Parable of the Sower in Luke 8:4-15 the different responses of the people to the Word of God, as a way to warn us about how we hear it. It is an exhortation to be doers, and a warning against things that can hinder bearing fruit (results).

This parable also shows us what to expect when we proclaim the Word of God. The seeds that fall on the wayside are those that reject the Word immediately. They will hear it, but there is a battle in their mind, refusing it. Then, there are the ones that fall on the rock. They will receive it, and even go to church, and start praying, but trials, and social pressure will hurt their ability to produce mature fruit. They love the acceptance of the peers more than God. Then, there are the ones that fall among the thorns. They will receive it as well, and will begin to produce fruit, but when it comes to haves vs no-haves, believing and obeying the Word of God will take a second place. Finally, others will receive the Word in faith, and with an obedience heart, and will produce fruit in spite of social pressure and the no-haves.

Skepticism is the behavior you see in the ones represented by the seeds falling on the wayside. However, not all skeptical attitudes are bad. The skepticism that is bad is the one that is basically a spirit of unbelief or disobedience. In Acts 17:32, you can see an example of spirit of unbelief. Some of the people hearing Paul’s preaching began to mock him and despise his message when he talked about resurrection. They rejected Paul’s message because they could not believe that the Creator could do such a thing. In Luke 16:13-14, you can also see an example of a spirit of disobedience. The Pharisees derided Jesus. They rejected his message, because they loved their sin too much. The message was too inconvenient for them to accept or consider.

A healthy skepticism is the one that is based on an attitude of prudence, and a true desired to understand the divine truth. You can see if the skepticism is good by looking at what they do after the truth is being presented completely and accurately. If they go and mediate on it and then embrace it and obey, then their original attitude was good. An example of this was the Jews in Berea, in Acts 17:10-12. They received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. As result many of them believed.

What you all think?

Last edited by coksiw; 06-08-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-08-2021, 12:52 PM
Tithesmeister Tithesmeister is online now
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,334
Re: Different Responses to the Word of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
The Lord Jesus taught us through the Parable of the Sower in Luke 8:4-15 the different responses of the people to the Word of God, as a way to warn us about how we hear it. It is an exhortation to be doers, and a warning against things that can hinder bearing fruit (results).

This parable also shows us what to expect when we proclaim the Word of God. The seeds that fall on the wayside are those that reject the Word immediately. They will hear it, but there is a battle in their mind, refusing it. Then, there are the ones that fall on the rock. They will receive it, and even go to church, and start praying, but trials, and social pressure will hurt their ability to produce mature fruit. They love the acceptance of the peers more than God. Then, there are the ones that fall among the thorns. They will receive it as well, and will begin to produce fruit, but when it comes to haves vs no-haves, believing and obeying the Word of God will take a second place. Finally, others will receive the Word in faith, and with an obedience heart, and will produce fruit in spite of social pressure and the no-haves.

Skepticism is the behavior you see in the ones represented by the seeds falling on the wayside. However, not all skeptical attitudes are bad. The skepticism that is bad is the one that is basically a spirit of unbelief or disobedience. In Acts 17:32, you can see an example of spirit of unbelief. Some of the people hearing Paulís preaching began to mock him and despise his message when he talked about resurrection. They rejected Paulís message because they could not believe that the Creator could do such a thing. In Luke 16:13-14, you can also see an example of a spirit of disobedience. The Pharisees derided Jesus. They rejected his message, because they loved their sin too much. The message was too inconvenient for them to accept or consider.

A healthy skepticism is the one that is based on an attitude of prudence, and a true desired to understand the divine truth. You can see if the skepticism is good by looking at what they do after the truth is being presented completely and accurately. If they go and mediate on it and then embrace it and obey, then their original attitude was good. An example of this was the Jews in Berea, in Acts 17:10-12. They received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. As result many of them believed.

What you all think?
I think youíre on target.

Human nature is to go all in. In this case all skepticism is bad, or conversely, all skepticism is good. The truth is as youíve shown above. Skepticism can be good. Skepticism can also be bad. It depends on the subject, what the response should be. Healthy skepticism would be good for the church, in my opinion.

Another example that often gets misapplied is judgement:

Matt.7

[1] Judge not, that ye be not judged.

And . . .

John.7

[24] Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

And of course . . .

1Cor.6

[3] Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

Of course we should judge . . .

Righteously.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2021, 02:55 AM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 24,499
Re: Different Responses to the Word of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I think you’re on target.

Human nature is to go all in. In this case all skepticism is bad, or conversely, all skepticism is good. The truth is as you’ve shown above. Skepticism can be good. Skepticism can also be bad. It depends on the subject, what the response should be. Healthy skepticism would be good for the church, in my opinion.
Regarding the bolded... Is that really true? That it is "human nature to go all in"?

Or is it conditioning and indoctrination? I've known quite a few people who would never go all in on practically anything except never going all in on anything.

I think the "total skeptic" is actually just an ignoramus who doesn't know what they believe and they just refuse to accept certain things that contradict their little world view or their personal aspirations and desires. And the "totally gullible" who views all skepticism as bad is just as big of an ignoramus as the other and for the same reasons. In fact, it looks like they are both birds of a feather.

If "all skepticism is good" then the person who believes that is in reality unbelievably gullible. Why no skepticism about the utility and range of skepticism?

And if "no skepticism is good" then isn't such a person highly skeptical of skepticism? Isn't that like doublethink?
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2021, 08:13 PM
Tithesmeister Tithesmeister is online now
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,334
Re: Different Responses to the Word of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Regarding the bolded... Is that really true? That it is "human nature to go all in"?

Or is it conditioning and indoctrination? I've known quite a few people who would never go all in on practically anything except never going all in on anything.

I think the "total skeptic" is actually just an ignoramus who doesn't know what they believe and they just refuse to accept certain things that contradict their little world view or their personal aspirations and desires. And the "totally gullible" who views all skepticism as bad is just as big of an ignoramus as the other and for the same reasons. In fact, it looks like they are both birds of a feather.

If "all skepticism is good" then the person who believes that is in reality unbelievably gullible. Why no skepticism about the utility and range of skepticism?

And if "no skepticism is good" then isn't such a person highly skeptical of skepticism? Isn't that like doublethink?
Sometimes you make my head hurt. I donít even know where to start. How bout here.

Phil.4

[5] Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2021, 10:43 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 24,499
Re: Different Responses to the Word of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Sometimes you make my head hurt. I donít even know where to start. How bout here.

Phil.4

[5] Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
I was bored.

__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
117 Views No Responses jediwill83 Prayer Closet 10 05-17-2017 09:47 AM
Bishop Jakes Responses to His Critics!! crakjak Fellowship Hall 67 01-21-2008 05:56 PM
Hey! I've Got A Word For You. Raven Fellowship Hall 14 11-18-2007 08:58 PM
Right Responses to Injustice Felicity Fellowship Hall 20 08-21-2007 11:43 AM
Letting The Word Speak vs Making The Word Talk Digging4Truth Deep Waters 4 07-25-2007 09:05 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by MawMaw
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.