Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

View Poll Results: Are sins forgiven at repentance or baptism?
Repentance 59 81.94%
Baptism 12 16.67%
Unsure 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Not wrestling w/ flesh n blood

Re: New Doctrine Emerges: NOT Forgiven at Repentan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Maybe Bernard is not as far off from Mizpeh as we think:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...al/New-Ch5.htm

Most 3 steppers I've encountered ... even here say Forgiveness happens at repentance .... while remission happens at water baptism.

I believe Elder Epley would agree this is the common notion among 3 step theology
I beleive what Elder Epley believes. So if you cannot convince him different, neither can you me.

The gloves are off.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

Forgiveness is not given at repentance,it is given as we walk in the light,as we continue to obey the word of God.Jesus said you MUST be born again. To be born again you must repent and be baptized and be filled with the Holy Ghost to enter the kingdom.Then you must continue in his truth.

1John.1
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Remission is forgiveness.

I don't have time to post the verses until tonight. So I'll have to get back with you later. Basically, when our sins forgiven/remitted is when the blood of Christ is applied. No blood, no forgiveness.

Dan, I can only stay for a few minutes. I'll be back on and off today and then perhaps have more time tonight to hash this out with you.
Why is the blood applied at a certain time? I thought the blood was applied at Calvary. Christ died for the sins of the world. I think we in Pentecost have tried so hard to make the bible fit our doctrine that we end up in these strange areas where it takes a huge breakthrough just to understand the basics of the gospel.

Now, we have people using very orthodox teaching to explain the exact opposite of what historical Christianity taught for hundreds of years.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
If my sins are forgiven, that is no sin remains, then what stands between me and God?

One can only rebel if they know a command, one cannot rebel in ignorance, but that is way beyond where we are.
If the church is preaching the full gospel of the New Testament...you'll know what's expected of you. Peter made it clear to those he preached to.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Maybe Bernard is not as far off from Mizpeh as we think:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...al/New-Ch5.htm

Most 3 steppers I've encountered ... even here say Forgiveness happens at repentance .... while remission happens at water baptism.

I believe Elder Epley would agree this is the common notion among 3 step theology
In the Greek...what's the difference between "forgiveness" and "remission"?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Banned

An old timer once told me that at repentance God forgives the sins one has committed but at water baptism one's "sin nature" is pardoned. He believed there are two things at issue...deeds done and fallen nature. Don't know if that's relevant though.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned

I believe my sins were forgiven at repentance. I received the Holy Ghost shortly after. I was later water baptized in Jesus name.

Had I not received the Holy Ghost I wouldn't have experienced regeneration, my old man would still be in full control and I'd be lost. If I didn't obey and be water baptized I wouldn't have been adopted into the family and I would be lost in rebellion.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Repent so your sins can be blotted out when ?

Acts.3
[19] Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelel View Post
Forgiveness is not given at repentance,it is given as we walk in the light,as we continue to obey the word of God.Jesus said you MUST be born again. To be born again you must repent and be baptized and be filled with the Holy Ghost to enter the kingdom.Then you must continue in his truth.

1John.1
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
So, according to this theology we are not justified by faith but by doing more and more we will someday become justified. This is catholic doctrine to the letter.

Watch this debate between a Catholic priest and Christianity. It is scary how close the UPC doctrine is to Catholicism. If you are interested watch all the videos. Here is the first one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0JueyifsXA
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
So, according to this theology we are not justified by faith but by doing more and more we will someday become justified. This is catholic doctrine to the letter.

Watch this debate between a Catholic priest and Christianity. It is scary how close the UPC doctrine is to Catholicism. If you are interested watch all the videos. Here is the first one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0JueyifsXA
True faith brings forth good works.

James, chapter 2
1: My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.
2: For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;
3: And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:
4: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
5: Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
6: But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?
7: Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?
8: If ye fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
9: But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
10: For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11: For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12: So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
13: For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.
14: What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15: If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16: And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17: Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18: Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20: But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21: Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22: Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23: And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24: Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25: Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26: For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.