Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-24-2021, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Pentematic

Pentematic Christians combine doctrines common within Pentecostal and Charismatic traditions.

I came across this portmanteau "Pentematic" on Facebook, but I cannot remember what group it was in. Essentially, these Christians believe that when a believer is filled with the Holy Ghost they will speak with other tongues, but they do not believe that outward modesty and "standards" are necessary. They typically write all that off as legalistic or "clothesline doctrine".

While this movement might not seem too different from the mainline Charismatic movement, this specific body of believers are different that traditional Charismatics. Most Charismatics do not believe that a Christian must speak in tongues in order to be filled with the Holy Ghost, while the self-identifying Pentematic people believe that tongues is the initial outward sign that a believer has been filled with the Spirit.

Has anyone heard this term?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Re: Pentematic

Two points on this.

1. When I was around the Charismatic movement and read many of the various authors, most believed tongues to be the initial evidence of the baptism. Not all but most.

2. You wrote:

Quote:
Essentially, these Christians believe that when a believer is filled with the Holy Ghost they will speak with other tongues, but they do not believe that outward modesty and "standards" are necessary.
The big difference between Charismatic/Pentecostals and Oneness Pentecostals is the phrase "filled with the Holy Ghost". Charismatic/Pentecostals all agree when you accept Christ you have a measure of the Holy Ghost. Thus you are saved but not spirit filled.

However if one wants to be FILLED with the Spirit they should seek for the baptism, which is evidenced by tongues.

On the other hand most Oneness Pentecostals believe that to receive the Holy Ghost and to be filled with the Holy Ghost are the same event. If one is not "filled" with the Spirit with the evidence of tongues they are not saved.

As far as "dress standards" most at least used to believe in modesty. Several Charismatic/Pentecostal groups I was around had strict dress codes. The main issue was always can women wear pants.

As far as the term "Pentematic" maybe its a solo Facebook group? Ive never heard that before. But maybe its a movement among Charismatic/Pentecostals.

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 01-24-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Are you describing the UPC?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Old 01-24-2021, 08:51 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterrey View Post
Are you describing the UPC?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha
Huh? Care to explain?
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
Pentematic Christians combine doctrines common within Pentecostal and Charismatic traditions.

I came across this portmanteau "Pentematic" on Facebook, but I cannot remember what group it was in. Essentially, these Christians believe that when a believer is filled with the Holy Ghost they will speak with other tongues, but they do not believe that outward modesty and "standards" are necessary. They typically write all that off as legalistic or "clothesline doctrine".

While this movement might not seem too different from the mainline Charismatic movement, this specific body of believers are different that traditional Charismatics. Most Charismatics do not believe that a Christian must speak in tongues in order to be filled with the Holy Ghost, while the self-identifying Pentematic people believe that tongues is the initial outward sign that a believer has been filled with the Spirit.

Has anyone heard this term?

"Pentematic." It sounds like something Ronco would sell. "Ronco presents, the Pentematic! Order now and you'll receive these free Ginzu steak knives!"
Old 01-24-2021, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
"Pentematic." It sounds like something Ronco would sell. "Ronco presents, the Pentematic! Order now and you'll receive these free Ginzu steak knives!"
I wonder how much difference there is in Pentematic and Bapticostal.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I wonder how much difference there is in Pentematic and Bapticostal.
Bapticostal would be more scripture-focused, spiritual gifts second.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

The majority of those that fall under the denominational world’s “Pentecostal” label nowadays do not keep any form of holiness standard and see HG baptism and secondary to new birth. Why the new label? Goofy. I doubt it’s much of a real thing...but just a self ascribed label by someone on the net.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
The majority of those that fall under the denominational world’s “Pentecostal” label nowadays do not keep any form of holiness standard and see HG baptism and secondary to new birth. Why the new label? Goofy. I doubt it’s much of a real thing...but just a self ascribed label by someone on the net.
A pastor friend of mine jokingly used the term in 1988.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
True about the Holy Ghost being secondary to the new birth in their terms.Could you explain the holiness standard?