Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-28-2021, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Re: “Just call me pastor, son”.

#6 Report Post
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Lamb Saved & Shepherd Led

Re: When your own wife and kids call you, Pastor
I had one pastor tell me he'd rather have his kids think of him as their pastor than their dad. I was shocked.

I have never enjoyed being called "pastor." I much prefer "Brother" being used before my name. I see it this way:

I introduce my self by the name "Tom Burk" because that's who I am.

My parents called me "son" because that's who I am.

My wife introduces me as "Husband" because that's who I am.

My kids call me "Dad" because that's who I am.

But "Pastor" is not who I am--it's what I do.

So, to me, calling a person "pastor" is like calling others in the church names like "housewife." "Fireman," "waitress," store clerk," retiree," or whatever else they do. Such names are titles or descriptions of what they do, not names of who they are.
The Bible is open to those that want Truth, and if they want Truth, they find Truth. They watch individuals squabble over Bible symbolism on the Internet, and leave the Message boards to enter into the real world where live people dwell, and they find Truth. The World Wide Web is full of Internet Ayatollahs who speak their mind. There is only one Truth, and it is not hidden. No matter what anyone says, Truth still converts the sincere.
 -DD
Old 09-28-2021, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
The excessive exaltation of specific brethren is seen as wrong by most saints. The humble attitude instead is commendable, appreciated, and praised, just in case you haven’t figured that out yet.
If you have been around saints as another saint, not as a “minister”, you will find out how the humble spirit, reflected in even the details, are usually praised. They say brother so is so “humble” or “down to earth” and they all would love to be under him.
And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

It doesn't seem weird that they'd acknowledge him as "Pastor" of the church OR as the "Pastor" of their lives, but them calling him such seems somewhat odd.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
It doesn't seem weird that they'd acknowledge him as "Pastor" of the church OR as the "Pastor" of their lives, but them calling him such seems somewhat odd.
Exactly, like the New Testament church. They recognized the work and calling of people like James, Paul, John, etc…, but never used titles when referring to them. So odd! Those NT people should’ve known better and respected them by using titles in front of names instead!
Old 09-30-2021, 08:40 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I’m not big on titles….

Often they seem to be used to show approval or disapproval of a particular individual.

But generally speaking I can take it or leave it. The reason why a young minister might say, “as the brother has stated…” even if it’s his own Father, is to show the brotherhood in the body of Christ. I suppose the same could be said about “pastor”. He is pastor to the whole church including his family. Of course that particular title isn’t used much in scripture, but that’s another thread.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 09-30-2021, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Isn't it strange how the word "pastor" more so than "shepherd" has become the norm?

Or bishop instead of overseer?

Deacon instead of servant?

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 09-30-2021, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Exactly, like the New Testament church. They recognized the work and calling of people like James, Paul, John, etc…, but never used titles when referring to them. So odd! Those NT people should’ve known better and respected them by using titles in front of names instead!
All of those apostles just needed Brother Nicodemus to show them a more perfect way.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I’m not big on titles….

Often they seem to be used to show approval or disapproval of a particular individual.

But generally speaking I can take it or leave it. The reason why a young minister might say, “as the brother has stated…” even if it’s his own Father, is to show the brotherhood in the body of Christ. I suppose the same could be said about “pastor”. He is pastor to the whole church including his family. Of course that particular title isn’t used much in scripture, but that’s another thread.
Wow! How long has it been since Hoovie posted? I’m glad to hear from you.

Aaaand you’re right. If the word pastor occurred one fewer time in the New Testament, it wouldn’t occur at all. But it did occur once so there’s that.

The role of the pastor in the Bible is sufficiently vague to allow people who are inclined to do so, to make it up. And that’s what they do.

Who was the pastor of the church at Jerusalem?

Rome?

Corinth?

Colosse?

Philippi?

Galatia?

Etc?

Odd isn’t it?

According to Brother Nicodemus and many pastors, the pastor is the MOST important person in the church. But we don’t really know who is officially the pastor of ANY of the New Testament churches.

Weird!

Now let’s talk about apostles.

Does anyone know who the apostles in the New Testament were?

Different story altogether.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Isn't it strange how the word "pastor" more so than "shepherd" has become the norm?

Or bishop instead of overseer?

Deacon instead of servant?
VS?

Could you hazard a guess as to why that happens?

Any ideas that we could chew on?
Old 09-30-2021, 11:27 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Who was the pastor of the church at Jerusalem?

Rome?

Corinth?

Colosse?

Philippi?

Galatia?

Etc?

Odd isn’t it?

According to Brother Nicodemus and many pastors, the pastor is the MOST important person in the church. But we don’t really know who is officially the pastor of ANY of the New Testament churches.
Another interesting thing I've heard in the past couple years, was the pastors being referred to as angels. Specifically, it was referencing the passages from Revelations, where John wrote:
Quote:
Revelation 2:12
And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write
Quote:
Revelation 3:7
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write
They were saying angel in this case actually means the pastor. I don't recall any more of it beyond what I wrote, so I'm not sure what the justification was for that.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.