Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-06-2023, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

The creation Mandate

I recently have had a discussion about something known as the creation mandate. I contend that the Genesis 1:28 is more so a promise than it is command to require marriage. The opposite view was that marriage is necessary except for rare exceptions and one of them was the gift of singleness. Is there anyone else that has heard of this?
Old 08-06-2023, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Re: The creation Mandate

Firstly, I would like to say this passage is written directly to the man and woman God created on the day He created them. It was spoken to them of whom God created in the garden. This command resonates throughout all of human history, by the fact that humanity has multiplied exponentially and has exercised dominion over all of the created things and it is still progressively being fulfilled.

Secondly, I want to recognize that it is in this 1st chapter of Genesis that the biological role of male and female are established here. The role of male and female are binary and will not change until the resurrection. It is at that point they are neither male nor female, married nor given in marriage. (Mt.22:30)

Now to the verse:

Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them,

This statement identifies all of what God is speaking over them. God is blessing the man and woman he created.

and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth,

God was speaking a prophetic blessing over Adam and Eve. He was not simply commanding them to get married and have intercourse. God was telling them to do the thing that causes babies to be born and He would make the wombs fruitful. It is only God who can open the womb, therefore if this verse was simply a command for man, Adam and Eve would be incapable of fulfilling it.

and subdue it (Earth): and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

In addition to God's command to multiply, He also commands man to subdue and have dominion.. To subdue is to dominate or bring something under control by force. To have dominion is to rule over something. The scriptures’ command to, “subdue it and have dominion over” are linked. Like saying, “conquer and take control”. They are different words with slightly different meanings, but one builds up to the other. It isn’t meaning to subdue the ground only and have dominion over the animals only. It means mankind is to take authority over the Earth and reign over every creature in it.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:29 PM
Covenant Apostolic

It's totally okay not to marry.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 KJV
I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

I think there might be a problem with some forms of birth control once you are married though.

Last edited by Amanah; 08-06-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:22 PM
New User

Talking Re: The creation Mandate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

I think there might be a problem with some forms of birth control once you are married though.
This was suggested because of the persecution that the church was facing at the time.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

The Lord convicted my wife and I against Contraceptives and birth control. The Bible teaches that God blesses the fruit of the womb and children are God’s blessing. Modern culture contradicts every thing God says is good and praises every thing that God forbids.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
This was suggested because of the persecution that the church was facing at the time.
1 Corinthians 7:26
I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be.

This was the argument made for the creation mandate. That 1Corinthians 7 was only written for special and unique circumstances. It is difficult to suggest that IMO when there is so much clear teaching for singleness. There is too much extrabiblical insertion to validate the arguments against 1 Corinthians 7.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Covenant Apostolic

The Bible says in this world we will have tribulation, so you could make a case for there always being some sort of distress.

The passage also points out that those who are single will more likely focus on pleasing Jesus.

I think the issue is most people have a pretty high sex drive which makes marriage necessary.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:09 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
The Lord convicted my wife and I against Contraceptives and birth control. The Bible teaches that God blesses the fruit of the womb and children are God’s blessing. Modern culture contradicts every thing God says is good and praises every thing that God forbids.

So a few days ago, out of nowhere my 7 year old daughter asked my wife, "Mommy, are you pregnant?"

🤣

Heres the thing...before my daughter wss born I told my wife that she was pregnant before she even knew...before any tests were showing up.

We have had some major blessings come our way recently and it wouldnt suprise me if my daughter was right.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The Bible says in this world we will have tribulation, so you could make a case for there always being some sort of distress.

The passage also points out that those who are single will more likely focus on pleasing Jesus.

I think the issue is most people have a pretty high sex drive which makes marriage necessary.
Agreed
Old 08-06-2023, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
So a few days ago, out of nowhere my 7 year old daughter asked my wife, "Mommy, are you pregnant?"

🤣

Heres the thing...before my daughter wss born I told my wife that she was pregnant before she even knew...before any tests were showing up.

We have had some major blessings come our way recently and it wouldnt suprise me if my daughter was right.