Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Marty Ballestero doesn't LIKE facial hair on m

You guys missed the point and the conversation. Someone said something about churches that allow facial hair but not on the platform

I responded that maybe they do that to not get flack from other Pastors/churches

he responded, correct they are men pleasers

I responded yes or they are simply trying to keep unity in an organization.

You have two options in any union, compromise or leave. Same goes for marriages

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Uniformity is unity.
Consider that some people conform, but not because they believe something is right (or wrong) to do. That uniformity is not unity, IMO.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
Exactly. Its lame the reasons people will spit out in support of this garbage. My blessed mother said "Well they have uniforms in the military, why not in the church?" sigh....
Because they don't tell you you are going to hell for not wearing it in the military.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
What I find truly repugnant is the implication that men who follow an extra-biblical rule are in any way superior Christians to those who do not, and the implication or outright statement that facial hair on men is a sin with zero biblical support behind it. As for the latter, I can forgive some issues a bit, because I realize they surround scripture that can be interpreted one way or another, and even badly. I don't like it when scriptures are interpreted inaccurately (in my view), but I can forgive it if it's obvious the motive is trying one's best to follow scripture. However, when it's apparent that a person is completely outside of the Word, and using their influence to push their own personal likes and dislikes, it becomes far less forgivable.
I think once people bite into the idea that extra-biblical rules are mandatory and salvational, they want to make sure they are in the kingdom out of fear of not making it, and they feel it's better to be 'safe' than sorry, not realizing that legalism also has it's own dangers. So, not seeing how dangerous their rule system is in and of itself, they make rules to 'err on the side of safety'.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Murphy View Post
Charnock... I have to chime in and defend MissB here... I was a regular poster here for years and have to say that she has been one of the most balanced and thoughtful posters across this forum and its various predecessors. I think you are off-base here and seem to have some very personal bone to pick with MissB.

I've posted things so anti-UPC that it would make your skin crawl and she was never rude to me... if anything, she helped me to understand that I was the one who had changed, and that helped me to stop getting so riled up about issues in an organization I haven't been a part of for years. Other than my mom's funeral a couple of months ago, I haven't been in a UPC church for many years. I still have my same views, but don't see the point in offending people who are still in a culture/belief-system that I am no longer a part of. Obviously, you have the right to express yourself and your opinion, but speaking as someone who is very much NOT a UPC-apologist, your bias is coming in very clearly and if you don't see it, you might need to take a step back and examine why you feel so strongly about her. Respectfully... and I will not respond to further discussion on this, just wanted to say my two cents.
Sorry you lost your Mom, Brad.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Uniformity is unity. People doing the same, not rocking the boat or being schizmatic.

BTW since we were discussing allowing facial hair but not on the platform, it's not really uniformity.

As I said it's about not causing division or trouble from others who unfortunately still follow this old tradition
No, unity is not uniformity. Go and learn what this meaneth.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Sorry you lost your Mom, Brad.
Thanks It was tougher than I expected, even though she had been sick for several years.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks It was tougher than I expected, even though she had been sick for several years.
I have not lost a parent but I hear you can never really be prepared.....

Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I think once people bite into the idea that extra-biblical rules are mandatory and salvational, they want to make sure they are in the kingdom out of fear of not making it, and they feel it's better to be 'safe' than sorry, not realizing that legalism also has it's own dangers. So, not seeing how dangerous their rule system is in and of itself, they make rules to 'err on the side of safety'.
I agree, and I've made those sorts of fearful choices myself.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm sorry, Brad. My Dad was sick for years, too...it doesn't make the loss any easier to know that it's coming.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road