Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-31-2021, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Re: Facebook rises. AFF declines.

What I generally like about Facebook is that more people tend to reply.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I joined FB after being a holdout for a long time. I joined in 2014. My reasons were that I was tired of rehashing doctrine here and I needed to branch out. Many people that I know are on FB...old classmates, co-workers, extended family. FB definitely has it's limitations. Discussions are usually very touch and go and have little real depth. I miss that. There are tons of propaganda memes. AFF is a good place for a "hold out" against all that.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 04-02-2021, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I joined FB .... Discussions are usually very touch and go and have little real depth. I miss that. There are tons of propaganda memes. AFF is a good place for a "hold out" against all that.
And I do a lot on Facebook, but what you say above is spot-on. I have rarely posted on any oneness or apostolic groups. Too much echo chamber.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Lol, I guess I'm more of a lurker than a poster on both AFF and the Facebook groups. IMO Facebook has more wackos than AFF.
2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
Gaffney Bible Fellowship
Old 04-03-2021, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
The ones I know offhand:

Apostolic Doctrine
Apostolic Theological Seminary and Bible College
Apostolic From All Over The World ~ 2020 (Community 2018-2020)
Discussion Board on Oneness Pentecostalism

Also:
Oneness and Trinity Debate Forum
Trinity v. Oneness v. Unitarian v. Arianism v. Binitarian Discussion group
Oneness V Trinity

And I rarely watch or post on any of these groups.
Jesus, the God of Two Testaments

A bit more edgy and without the noise. The description uses the dark-side name 'Yahweh'. David Martin is the admin.

Jerry Lynn Hayes is one of the posters, and has a series called Modalistic Trinity vs Societal Trinity. Put up in the last week. Three parts. Tertullian, Karl Barth and Alister McGrath, about 30 minutes each on Youtube.

Also Mark August.

=========================================

This next group is admin by Mark August:

Academy of Christian Theological Studies (A.C.T.S.)

He uses writing from Dr. Wilson and says the David Bernard oneness is Marcellusian Modalism rather than Modalistic Monarchianism.

Named after:

Marcellus of Ancyra (d. 374)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcellus_of_Ancyra

Eusebius has a very interesting quote about "three are one" in a letter to Marcellus, where he is discomfited that it is too Sabellian. The heavenly witnesses verse would trigger such conversations.

=========================================

Mark August
Quote:
"The Marcellusian Modalism taught by Dr. David Bernard actually helps Trinitarian Apologists by capitulation. What i mean by this, is that by the Oneness scholar positing Dr. Bernard's position, the Trinitarian Apologist is handed, on a silver platter, the opportunity to prove doctrinal continuity backwards from the earliest Patristic witnesses to the N.T. writers, simply based on tenets of the Marcellusian position being absent from the historical record prior to the 3rd or 4th century. The classic Modalistic Monarchian position does not have this problem, in fact the classic Modalist position removes from the Trinitarian Apologist any chance to set forth a positive argument for doctrinal continuity. Therefore, i highly recommend Oneness peoples abandon the Marcellusian position and petition Dr. Bernard to reevaluate the lack of benefit his position offers the modern Oneness movement."

Last edited by Steven Avery; 04-03-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I engage with Mark August some on Facebook. When he says:
Quote:
"The Marcellusian Modalism taught by Dr. David Bernard actually helps Trinitarian Apologists by capitulation. What i mean by this, is that by the Oneness scholar positing Dr. Bernard's position, the Trinitarian Apologist is handed, on a silver platter, the opportunity to prove doctrinal continuity backwards from the earliest Patristic witnesses to the N.T. writers, simply based on tenets of the Marcellusian position being absent from the historical record prior to the 3rd or 4th century. The classic Modalistic Monarchian position does not have this problem, in fact the classic Modalist position removes from the Trinitarian Apologist any chance to set forth a positive argument for doctrinal continuity. Therefore, i highly recommend Oneness peoples abandon the Marcellusian position and petition Dr. Bernard to reevaluate the lack of benefit his position offers the modern Oneness movement."
What he means is the position Dr. Bernard teaches that the Logos was in the mind of God until the incarnation is a weak position. That rather the Logos was manifest from the beginning being the angel of the Lord, visible image, or form of the omnipresent, invisible Spirit.

Mark teaches that most believers early on had a position that the Logos was the personal Creator rather than a "plan" resident in the mind of God until the incarnation.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Thanks.

David Bernard and David Norris in a discussion forum tomorrow.
https://www.facebook.com/upci.org/po...08245049213917

Wed 3PM Central time.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
I'll give you a good reason for the decline of AFF

A certain poster was allowed to run wild a few years ago and ran off all of the good discussion on the board.
So, a new discussion board was set up to allow those that left to have a refuge.
Then (as usually happens) the poster went so out of control that a ban was enacted.
But, it was like "shutting the barn door after the cows had all escaped".

You "old-timers" will know what I mean.
What you refer to certainly sped up the process. However, I’d say the end result was inevitable.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:26 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Tried to start a facebook account, for business related stuff. Got my account disabled by Facebook 3 times in 3 days. First time occurred 37 minutes after starting the account. Second time occurred 2 minutes after re-enabling it, then it was re-enabled a couple minutes later, then disabled the next morning. Was told no review possible because COVID19 was creating a shortage of reviewers working for Facebook. Literally did nothing except join several groups and post on my business page about upcoming projects.

I gave up and wouldn't go back if Zuckerberg himself wrote me a handwritten invitation. Zero customer support, totally random deactivations of accounts, and not actually all that useful. Worst. Company. Ever.

Can't figure out why anybody would even find it advantageous, business wise or otherwise.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 04-12-2021, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Tried to start a facebook account, for business related stuff. Got my account disabled by Facebook 3 times in 3 days. First time occurred 37 minutes after starting the account. Second time occurred 2 minutes after re-enabling it, then it was re-enabled a couple minutes later, then disabled the next morning. Was told no review possible because COVID19 was creating a shortage of reviewers working for Facebook. Literally did nothing except join several groups and post on my business page about upcoming projects.

I gave up and wouldn't go back if Zuckerberg himself wrote me a handwritten invitation. Zero customer support, totally random deactivations of accounts, and not actually all that useful. Worst. Company. Ever.

Can't figure out why anybody would even find it advantageous, business wise or otherwise.
I've been with Facebook for over ten years and I've had no issues whatsoever. That's very odd that your account was simply deactivated like that.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.