Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Re: Assemblies of God & Voting Out Tongues

Because of the congregational style of the Assemblies of God, it is difficult to define a typical local church. Church identity is influenced by the members' social class, ethnicity, and musical and worship preferences. Sociologists have assembled the Assemblies of God into four groups: traditional, evangelical, renewalist, and alternative.

Traditional Assemblies of God congregations are those that strongly identity with the Assemblies of God and classical Pentecostalism in general, while encouraging "more intense experiences of the charismata, or the gifts of the Spirit" such as baptism with the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues.

Evangelical Assemblies of God congregations, the most common type, identity with the Assemblies of God and Pentecostalism but "are moving (in varying degrees) away from the unique experiences that were once important markers of Pentecostal identity".

Renewalist (or Charismatic) Assemblies of God congregations encourage supernatural gifts of the Spirit but seem to weakly identity with the Assemblies of God and Pentecostalism.

Alternative Assemblies of God congregations are those where both identity with the Assemblies of God and Pentecostalism is low, including an adoption of seeker-sensitive and emerging church models.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.