Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-27-2021, 02:08 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: David’s stature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Saul was fully capable of functioning as a king. It appears he was troubled at times, but not 24/7.

I Samuel 16:16 “Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.”
Yeah, he had "episodes".

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 06-27-2021, 02:09 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
You know just speaking generally about David. I get that he was a man after God’s own heart. But otherwise he seemed to live a life that wasn’t enviable at all. Running from Saul, fighting with his own sons, being banished to live with the enemy Philistines. And especially dealing with a generally dysfunctional family.

It just doesn’t seem to be the life that a king should covet. When I look at David’s life I think mine looks pretty good in fact.
Some people want boring. Some people want excitement.

David lived an epic life. Lord of the Rings kind of epic.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 06-27-2021, 02:43 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Yeah, he had "episodes".
Saul was like a man winning a massive lottery and being unable to handle the responsibility.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
You know just speaking generally about David. I get that he was a man after God’s own heart. But otherwise he seemed to live a life that wasn’t enviable at all. Running from Saul, fighting with his own sons, being banished to live with the enemy Philistines. And especially dealing with a generally dysfunctional family.

It just doesn’t seem to be the life that a king should covet. When I look at David’s life I think mine looks pretty good in fact.
I think history shows a lot of strife and drama in the various monarchies. Look at what is happening now in England. Meghan and Harry systematically working to bring down that system. Oxford has already removed Queen Elizabeth’s portrait. I don’t anticipate that ending well in time, if this Cancel Culture continues to plow down the fields that is.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:51 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
1 Samuel 16:11-19 KJV
And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither. [12] And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the Lord said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he. [13] Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah. [14] But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him. [15] And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee. [16] Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well. [17] And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me. [18] Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Beth-lehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the Lord is with him. [19] Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep.

David wasn't a little puny kid when he was anointed by Samuel and entered Saul's court.

1 Samuel 16:21 KJV
And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armourbearer.

He was immediately appointed as the king's armourbearer. This is not some little kid, no matter what Veggie Tales says.

According to Numbers 1:3, 20 years old was the minimum age for military service. David was identified as a "man of war" prior to killing Goliath, and afterwards was immediately placed in charge of a battalion (1000 soldiers). If he was under 20 it is highly likely somebody (especially Samuel the prophet of God and champion of "obedience is better than sacrifice") would have objected that he was not yet eligible for military service.

It is thus most likely that he was 20-21 years old when he killed Goliath. Such persons were often called "youths" (as was Absalom even though he was definitely older than 20). Goliath calling him a "boy" would just be an example of a giant warrior insulting a young challenger.
I had a person say that it is true that the minimum age was 20 years old, but Goliath still called David a boy,

Quote:
41 Meanwhile, the Philistine, with his shield bearer in front of him, kept coming closer to David. 42 He looked David over and saw that he was little more than a boy, glowing with health and handsome, and he despised him.
How old was Goliath? Saul said Goliath had been a warrior since his youth. That appears to show he was older and would think a 20 year old was a boy to him.

The person also said that perhaps Saul was mocking David by telling him to try on his armor. I think that’s supposition. David did try to walk in the Armor, but did say he couldn’t use it as he hadn’t proved/tested it. He never said it didn’t fit.

My thinking is that logically, Saul sized David up and believed he was large enough to fit into his armour. That’s another indication, IMO, that he wasn’t a little boy.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:25 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Saul was fully capable of functioning as a king. It appears he was troubled at times, but not 24/7.

I Samuel 16:16 “Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.”

Last edited by Evang.Benincasa; 07-25-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:27 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I had a person say that it is true that the minimum age was 20 years old, but Goliath still called David a boy,

How old was Goliath? Saul said Goliath had been a warrior since his youth. That appears to show he was older and would think a 20 year old was a boy to him.

The person also said that perhaps Saul was mocking David by telling him to try on his armor. I think that’s supposition. David did try to walk in the Armor, but did say he couldn’t use it as he hadn’t proved/tested it. He never said it didn’t fit.

My thinking is that logically, Saul sized David up and believed he was large enough to fit into his armor. That’s another indication, IMO, that he wasn’t a little boy.
Who is "The Person?"
Old 07-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Since Goliath was a solider from his youth, would indicate he was older than David. Let's say Goliath was in his fifties? Anything under that age may cause the solider Goliath to refer to the Judean as a boy? Saying that David was some skinny child may be pulpit embellishing?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Who is "The Person?"
Seriously? Would I mention that here on this forum? No.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:21 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Since Goliath was a solider from his youth, would indicate he was older than David. Let's say Goliath was in his fifties? Anything under that age may cause the solider Goliath to refer to the Judean as a boy? Saying that David was some skinny child may be pulpit embellishing?
That is my view as well and it makes logical sense.

When I look at I Samuel 17:56, it says that Saul asked who the “stripling” was. Studying further, I read stripling described as a full grown youth. So, he wasn’t a skinny sniveling kid.

The person (lol) said every place they check shows no one can determine David’s age. However, I see Saul’s servants, as Esaias wrote, describing him as old enough to be military age.

The person said they could have described him that way knowing about his victory against the lion and bear. And he may have had to fight marauding Philistines when keeping the sheep. Of course, I don’t agree.

I feel that Saul offered his armor because he sized up David and saw he was large enough to wear it. David only said he couldn’t wear it as he hadn’t tested it.

The person said that David would have obeyed the King even if he knew the armor was too small. I don’t agree with that. The other point the person made is that Saul could have been mocking David, as was his way, by having David try on the larger armor to show he was a kid. I think that is a stretch.

Anyway, putting all the scriptures together, military age in Numbers, servants describing him as a “man of war”, a stripling being a full grown youth (18-20 years old, logically), Saul handing David his armor, and your description of Goliath points to a young man who was not a child by any means.