Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: David’s stature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Seriously? Would I mention that here on this forum? No.
I was just checking to see if we could have their name to lift them up in prayer?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
That is my view as well and it makes logical sense.

When I look at I Samuel 17:56, it says that Saul asked who the “stripling” was. Studying further, I read stripling described as a full grown youth. So, he wasn’t a skinny sniveling kid.

The person (lol) said every place they check shows no one can determine David’s age. However, I see Saul’s servants, as Esaias wrote, describing him as old enough to be military age.

The person said they could have described him that way knowing about his victory against the lion and bear. And he may have had to fight marauding Philistines when keeping the sheep. Of course, I don’t agree.

I feel that Saul offered his armor because he sized up David and saw he was large enough to wear it. David only said he couldn’t wear it as he hadn’t tested it.

The person said that David would have obeyed the King even if he knew the armor was too small. I don’t agree with that. The other point the person made is that Saul could have been mocking David, as was his way, by having David try on the larger armor to show he was a kid. I think that is a stretch.

Anyway, putting all the scriptures together, military age in Numbers, servants describing him as a “man of war”, a stripling being a full grown youth (18-20 years old, logically), Saul handing David his armor, and your description of Goliath points to a young man who was not a child by any means.
PO, good job. I am always please to see your posts. Whether, I agree or disagree. Here I agree with you. Now, take this to "the person" and spoon feed them some Bible logic.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:32 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
I had a person say that it is true that the minimum age was 20 years old, but Goliath still called David a boy,

How old was Goliath? Saul said Goliath had been a warrior since his youth. That appears to show he was older and would think a 20 year old was a boy to him.

The person also said that perhaps Saul was mocking David by telling him to try on his armor. I think that’s supposition. David did try to walk in the Armor, but did say he couldn’t use it as he hadn’t proved/tested it. He never said it didn’t fit.

My thinking is that logically, Saul sized David up and believed he was large enough to fit into his armour. That’s another indication, IMO, that he wasn’t a little boy.

David was actually showing his wisdom and experience in warfare by rejecting what he had not trained in. A novice would have taken the advice of the king not realizing how his range of motion would be affected and also the increased weight limiting his speed and mobility.

Remember that Saul was head and shoulders above everyone else so not quite the size of Goliath but still a big dude.

Also, remember the stipulation Goliath gave? Why in the world would any military leader worth his salt allow a unarmored child with a slingshot put their future freedom at risk in a all or nothing one in one battle?

David had to have had the confidence of Saul in some way and Im guessing it was from previous battles he had witnessed David fight in.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
David was actually showing his wisdom and experience in warfare by rejecting what he had not trained in. A novice would have taken the advice of the king not realizing how his range of motion would be affected and also the increased weight limiting his speed and mobility.

Remember that Saul was head and shoulders above everyone else so not quite the size of Goliath but still a big dude.

Also, remember the stipulation Goliath gave? Why in the world would any military leader worth his salt allow a unarmored child with a slingshot put their future freedom at risk in a all or nothing one in one battle?

David had to have had the confidence of Saul in some way and Im guessing it was from previous battles he had witnessed David fight in.
Evidently Saul didn’t know David when he slew Goliath.

1 Samuel

[55] And when Saul saw David go forth against the Philistine, he said unto Abner, the captain of the host, Abner, whose son is this youth? And Abner said, As thy soul liveth, O king, I cannot tell.
[56] And the king said, Inquire thou whose son the stripling is.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:56 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Evidently Saul didn’t know David when he slew Goliath.

1 Samuel

[55] And when Saul saw David go forth against the Philistine, he said unto Abner, the captain of the host, Abner, whose son is this youth? And Abner said, As thy soul liveth, O king, I cannot tell.
[56] And the king said, Inquire thou whose son the stripling is.

In the previous chapter however, it speaks of him sending a donkey laden down with bread and bottle of wine to Jesse when David is brought to the house of Saul to play the harp so that the evil spirit would leave him.

So they HAD met because Saul tells Jesse, Davids father that David had found favor in his sight.

Whats interesting is that after David slays Goliath and they are back in the court of Saul, Saul begins to prophesy...and the word in this case seems to indicate that its the evil spirit causing him to prophesy falsely...could it be that Saul in his spiritually bankrupt state had something similar to alzheimers or dementia?

That would answer the question of why he didnt remember David after already meeting him earlier in the text and David finding favor in his sight and he also made such an impression that he sends a large amount of food and a bottle of wine to Davids father in repayment.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:35 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I was just checking to see if we could have their name to lift them up in prayer?
Oh, right. Well, in that case the name is…..
Old 07-26-2021, 08:36 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
PO, good job. I am always please to see your posts. Whether, I agree or disagree. Here I agree with you. Now, take this to "the person" and spoon feed them some Bible logic.

Ted Cruz still rocks.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post

I believe that Goliath’s perception, as the Bible states, was not about his military equipment or lack thereof. The Bible shows that Goliath was focused on David’s appearance. From Goliath’s years of military experience (“a man of war from his youth”), he rightly viewed David as having none. Therefore, he called him a youth. Not a grown experienced man as himself. I believe today that an experienced soldier would view a 24 year old as but a youth.

My opinion is that the only confidence Saul had in David was that David had confidence in God and himself.