Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Scott Hutchinson's Avatar
Scott Hutchinson Scott Hutchinson is offline
Resident PeaceMaker


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson,AL.
Posts: 16,548
Re: Well hellooooo.

I'll just stick to baptizing people in the name of Jesus Christ.
__________________
People who are always looking for fault,can find it easily all they have to do,is look into their mirror.
There they can find plenty of fault.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
trialedbyfire's Avatar
trialedbyfire trialedbyfire is offline
Holiness Is Still Right.


 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington DC Area
Posts: 1,093
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
I'll just stick to baptizing people in the name of Jesus Christ.
Right.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 AM
The Matt's Avatar
The Matt The Matt is offline
I Am That I Am.


 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 1,500
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
I'll just stick to baptizing people in the name of Jesus Christ.
Go for it. In Jesus Name, Amen.
__________________
1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 AM
The Matt's Avatar
The Matt The Matt is offline
I Am That I Am.


 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 1,500
Re: Well hellooooo.

How bout, In The Name Of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who is the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost/Spirit, The King Of The Jews, I Plunge Thy Head Underwater, YOU WILL DIE, and then YOU WILL COME BACK UP A NEW BEING with the opportunity to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, which will be evidenced by the speaking of tongues after full repentance. Now please sign this contract, and ignore all the small print. IN JAAAAAAAAAAAYSUS NAMEAH! I mean...that would just about destroy all the confusion....which is not of God according to the bible...right?
__________________
1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 AM
MawMaw's Avatar
MawMaw MawMaw is offline
of 8!! :)


 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South
Posts: 5,746
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matt View Post
How bout, In The Name Of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who is the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost/Spirit, The King Of The Jews, I Plunge Thy Head Underwater, YOU WILL DIE, and then YOU WILL COME BACK UP A NEW BEING with the opportunity to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, which will be evidenced by the speaking of tongues after full repentance. Now please sign this contract, and ignore all the small print. IN JAAAAAAAAAAAYSUS NAMEAH! I mean...that would just about destroy all the confusion....which is not of God according to the bible...right?
The Name of Jesus is totally sufficient and covers all
because He is ALL.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 AM
The Matt's Avatar
The Matt The Matt is offline
I Am That I Am.


 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 1,500
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
The Name of Jesus is totally sufficient and covers all
because He is ALL.
Yeshua? Jeshua? Joshua? Jesus? When in Mexico...said Hezus? Sorry, I've been told I have a spirit of death, and deception on me...I've been praying a lot lately for someone to receive a new tongue...the original language that Jesus Christ spoke when he walked on the earth as a human...and I've been praying that I be given the gift of being able to interpret it. I need a good bible study this way...if possible.
__________________
1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 PM
bishoph's Avatar
bishoph bishoph is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 952
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matt View Post
How bout, In The Name Of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who is the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost/Spirit, The King Of The Jews, I Plunge Thy Head Underwater, YOU WILL DIE, and then YOU WILL COME BACK UP A NEW BEING with the opportunity to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, which will be evidenced by the speaking of tongues after full repentance. Now please sign this contract, and ignore all the small print. IN JAAAAAAAAAAAYSUS NAMEAH! I mean...that would just about destroy all the confusion....which is not of God according to the bible...right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matt View Post
Yeshua? Jeshua? Joshua? Jesus? When in Mexico...said Hezus? Sorry, I've been told I have a spirit of death, and deception on me...I've been praying a lot lately for someone to receive a new tongue...the original language that Jesus Christ spoke when he walked on the earth as a human...and I've been praying that I be given the gift of being able to interpret it. I need a good bible study this way...if possible.
My good friend, IMO, I have a well rounded (some would say warped) sense of humor.........however, I find no humor in making light of matters of eternal consequence. There is no name under heaven that has been given to man that we can be saved by, other than the name of Jesus. It matters not how that name is pronounced based on one's native tongue (such as Jeshua, Jesus/"Hezus", etc) as long as baptism is done in that name.

However, while I believe that the name is absolutely necessary, of equal importance is the understanding of the baptizee. They must understand that they are being identified with Christ and accepting of his substitutionary work on the cross. IMHO opinion that is why most Bible translations of Matt. 28:19 say "go and make disciples........baptizing them." They are to be discipled first. Far too many people make an emotional decision to be baptized without any understanding. That is why IMO that sooooo many get baptized and we never see them again. They suffer "buyers remorse" because they really don't know what just happened to them.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Farfel Farfel is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 481
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishoph View Post
of equal importance is the understanding of the baptizee. They must understand that they are being identified with Christ and accepting of his substitutionary work on the cross. IMHO opinion that is why most Bible translations of Matt. 28:19 say "go and make disciples........baptizing them." They are to be discipled first. Far too many people make an emotional decision to be baptized without any understanding. That is why IMO that sooooo many get baptized and we never see them again. They suffer "buyers remorse" because they really don't know what just happened to them.
This is true.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Pressing-On's Avatar
Pressing-On Pressing-On is offline
Not riding the train


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48,431
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishoph View Post
However, while I believe that the name is absolutely necessary, of equal importance is the understanding of the baptizee. They must understand that they are being identified with Christ and accepting of his substitutionary work on the cross. IMHO opinion that is why most Bible translations of Matt. 28:19 say "go and make disciples........baptizing them." They are to be discipled first. Far too many people make an emotional decision to be baptized without any understanding. That is why IMO that sooooo many get baptized and we never see them again. They suffer "buyers remorse" because they really don't know what just happened to them.
Well said!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM
RandyWayne RandyWayne is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 16,746
Re: Well hellooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishoph View Post
My good friend, IMO, I have a well rounded (some would say warped) sense of humor.........however, I find no humor in making light of matters of eternal consequence. There is no name under heaven that has been given to man that we can be saved by, other than the name of Jesus. It matters not how that name is pronounced based on one's native tongue (such as Jeshua, Jesus/"Hezus", etc) as long as baptism is done in that name.
What if someone pronounced it Edward Throatwarbler Mangrove? Just how much liberty does someone have to butcher how it is said before it is no longer valid? Could someone take the Bruce Cambell/Army Of Darkness approach and say "And I baptize you in the name of Jee<clear throat><cough cough>....."?

Last edited by RandyWayne; 12-04-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by coksiw
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.