Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-29-2012, 06:46 PM
I Am That I Am.

Why I Hate Debate So Much.

Debate just shows one thing. Insecurity. You're not comfortable enough in what you believe that you can believe it alone. In order to make it better and more believable in your eyes, you need someone to agree with you. And while you're trying to get someone to agree with you, sometimes you get caught in the "Oh, I may be wrong now, but I have to save face, so better push forward and find a way to make myself right in this situation" trap. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure I believe in anything comfortably enough that I want to debate it. I can say one scripture out of the bible that I am so completely sure about that I could talk about it all day and not be swayed. But really and truly, when you take a scripture, and argue about it, when it comes to the bare boneded root, nobody can really say "I know for sure this is what God meant when He inspired a man to write this." Because none of us are Jesus Christ. We can be Christlike, we can have the mind of Christ, but we can't literally step into his shoes and say, "I am Jesus, and this is what I meant". And when we assume we actually are in this position, well, then we are making ourselves a false god. Anyways, I was just thinking on this for a few hours at work last night and these are a few final thoughts on the matter I came up with. Whether or not my thoughts make sense to you, well...that's debatable.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Re: Why I Hate Debate So Much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matt View Post
Debate just shows one thing. Insecurity. You're not comfortable enough in what you believe that you can believe it alone. In order to make it better and more believable in your eyes, you need someone to agree with you. And while you're trying to get someone to agree with you, sometimes you get caught in the "Oh, I may be wrong now, but I have to save face, so better push forward and find a way to make myself right in this situation" trap. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure I believe in anything comfortably enough that I want to debate it. I can say one scripture out of the bible that I am so completely sure about that I could talk about it all day and not be swayed. But really and truly, when you take a scripture, and argue about it, when it comes to the bare boneded root, nobody can really say "I know for sure this is what God meant when He inspired a man to write this." Because none of us are Jesus Christ. We can be Christlike, we can have the mind of Christ, but we can't literally step into his shoes and say, "I am Jesus, and this is what I meant". And when we assume we actually are in this position, well, then we are making ourselves a false god. Anyways, I was just thinking on this for a few hours at work last night and these are a few final thoughts on the matter I came up with. Whether or not my thoughts make sense to you, well...that's debatable.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I don't like to debate either. I just like to give my opinion and discuss what people are thinking about.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 PM
On the road less traveled

I like to hear what other people think about a subject I am interested in, because I understand that I don't have it all figured out. You may call it insecurity, but I would chalk it up to the fact that I am simply a human trying to figure out a God so big, so wonderful, and so beyond anything we understand as humans, that there are really no words that can describe Him. So I realize that my understanding is very limited, as in looking through a glass darkly, and many, many times in debate, someone brings up a point that I had never before considered, and upon prayer, and study, have realized that God was speaking to me through this.

So, I welcome open discussion, as iron sharpeneth iron, but I do not like it when people have to resort to name calling, and degrading remarks in order to try to prove their point.

At that point in a discussion, I am done, and care to hear nothing more from the person who has resorted to such ugly measures, because their spirit is speaking louder than their words.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 PM
I Am That I Am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I like to hear what other people think about a subject I am interested in, because I understand that I don't have it all figured out. You may call it insecurity, but I would chalk it up to the fact that I am simply a human trying to figure out a God so big, so wonderful, and so beyond anything we understand as humans, that there are really no words that can describe Him. So I realize that my understanding is very limited, as in looking through a glass darkly, and many, many times in debate, someone brings up a point that I had never before considered, and upon prayer, and study, have realized that God was speaking to me through this.

So, I welcome open discussion, as iron sharpeneth iron, but I do not like it when people have to resort to name calling, and degrading remarks in order to try to prove their point.

At that point in a discussion, I am done, and care to hear nothing more from the person who has resorted to such ugly measures, because their spirit is speaking louder than their words.
Eventually, pretty much every time on every subject in any debate, it's going to turn into that. You come to a point when you realize their minds won't be changed. You get angry because they can't see something that's so clear to you. The only difference between some people and most people, is the some people know how to bite with their words without SEEMING like a jerk. "You're blind. You're in confusion. You're lost. You're deceived." Or in other ways, such as openly mocking the obvious stupidity you have and they don't, with cunning words. There's a million ways to mask your hatred for that which you haven't considered yourself. Don't get me wrong, I've found in debates things which I haven't considered, that do make sense. But is my pride going to allow me to admit that in the heat of the moment, when I've spent the last four hours trying to convince you otherwise? Of course not. I'm but a human being.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 PM
I Am That I Am.

Debate just seems so ugly to me. It boils down to this...I have a point. You have a point. Your views contradict my point. So I will attack your views, with my views, in the name of Jesus. Because God wouldn't want it any other way. People may see it different, but that's what I see.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I Am That I Am.

Words mean more than we mean them to mean sometimes. It's the thought behind the words that matters. You can see what someone means by their words. It's not "I feel so bad for you because you believe this way" It's "If you can't see that I'm right, you must be pretty stupid."
Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Debates often generate more heat than they do light.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Go Dodgers!

If someone was not comfortable with their beliefs WHY in the world would they subject them to debate? TheMatt may I suggest people who are weak in what they believe run away from debates....

Just sayin

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
I Am That I Am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
If someone was not comfortable with their beliefs WHY in the world would they subject them to debate? TheMatt may I suggest people who are weak in what they believe run away from debates....

Just sayin
Thanks for proving my point. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matt View Post
Thanks for proving my point. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Why are you debating with me on this?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.