Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Re: Do You Listen To False Prophets?

The phrase "false prophet" is bandied about too freely. Just because someone is wrong about something doesn't mean they are a "false prophet." A false prophet is telling lies and he knows it.

Strong's defines "false prophet" as: "a spurious prophet, i. e. pretended foreteller or religious impostor:— false prophet. AV (11)- false prophet 11; one who, acting the part of a divinely inspired prophet, utters falsehoods under the name of divine prophecies"

Strong's definitions point to knowledgeable actions; not ignorant error. The biblical false prophet is someone who is faking, being deliberately dishonest, probably for the sake of gaining power over people, in my opinion.

Bottom line: I would listen to what someone had to say, even if I didn't agree with them on everything, if they were sincere and intellectually honest. (E.g., they are telling the truth as they know and understand it; not trying to mislead anyone or knowingly tell lies)

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 AM
On the road less traveled

This is the scripture that pinpoints this issue for us, I believe.

1 John 4:1-3
1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Those who are antichrist do not believe that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh are not of God, and this is that spirit of antichrist that we must beware of.

No doubt there is something that each one of us believes about God that is probably not right, because we are just human, and cannot understand or know all the mysteries of God. Life is a journey of revelation, and understanding, and learning to know Him better. Yet... if one believes that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, this is not the spirit of antichrist that John was speaking of.

There are bones in the fish in just about everything you hear, it seems, some things you agree with and some perhaps you don't. But when someone outright does not believe that Jesus is God manifested in the flesh, it is then we should part ways.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Yeshua is God

There are false prophets, but how do we define or classify someone as a false prophet?

To me false prophets teach against the tithe, they teach the rapture, they teach against the Ten Commandments, they teach against the Sabbath.

Anyone who teaches such things would be classified by me as a false prophet, however I prefer to be more charitable and instead of calling them false prophets, I simply called them brethren who lack knowledge or understanding.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 AM
On the road less traveled

Here is another scripture that is very insightful to this discussion:

1 Cor. 3:11-15
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

It seems that you can have the right foundation of Jesus Christ, but how you build on that foundation will determine if your work will stand or fall. All will undergo the test of fire, and Paul says "If any man's work be burned, he shall suffer loss, but he himself shall be saved"...

From this, this is where I have peace about those who teach things that I may not see in scripture myself. As long as the basic foundation is built upon Jesus Christ, we have to understand that every man's work will be tested. The test or fire will determine if we have built right. It is possible that many have built upon the firm foundation of Jesus such things as wood, stubble, hay, and that others have built with precious stones, gold and silver, but the judgment day remains for all of us to see whether our work passes the test.

It does appear that salvation can occur even if you built with wood, stubble or hay, but that there is some sort of price to be paid.

Accordingly, all of us should strive daily to be sure that the we are building upon the foundation of Jesus with things that are eternal, and not things that will burn up in the fire of judgment.

Accordingly, we can have fellowship if necessary with those who have built upon the foundation of Jesus, but perhaps have added to the foundation that which will not stand the test of fire, but this does not appear to affect their salvation, but perhaps their reward.

We must cut off relationships though, where the foundation being built upon is NOT Jesus Christ.
1 Cor. 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esphes45 View Post
It sounds like we are just suppose to accept the fact that everyone teaches something false? Call me crazy but that is hard for me to swallow.

There are scriptures like Luke 1:3 and Hebrews 6:1 that make that hard for me to swallow.

I have heard people also tell me that go to church 3 times a week "they eat the meat and spit out the bone". You shouldn't have to go to church and do that. IMO, that would make what God did a waste of time.
Point being no church or preacher is without some error, even you. We should be in s constant love for truth and discovery. Of course, this takes humility because we have to realize we don't understand it all correctly. It is a journey. If I can only go to a church with all truth, I would have to stay home.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
There are false prophets, but how do we define or classify someone as a false prophet?

To me false prophets teach against the tithe, they teach the rapture, they teach against the Ten Commandments, they teach against the Sabbath.

Anyone who teaches such things would be classified by me as a false prophet, however I prefer to be more charitable and instead of calling them false prophets, I simply called them brethren who lack knowledge or understanding.
You would define me as a false prophet.

Well I try to be like you and be as charitable as possible.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post

Seems like a false prophet is trying to describe a true prophet here...LOL
Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

I've listen to false profits and really enjoyed the entertainment. Every heard the Georgia Prophet, David Epley, Rev. Ike, J. Charles Jessup, Rev. Al from Hayward, Ca.? Those guys were a hoot. They kept XERF, WSM and KAAY alive for years with their "preaching". They would have lifted the nickels off a dead man's eyes. Talk about robbing widows houses, they were the cream of the crop. They sold more holy anointing oil than Exxon and prayer clothes! Probably kept Burlington Mills busy for a decade.

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.