Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Re: The UPC is a dying movement!

The way I see it, the UPCI will NEVER die.

I mean, as far as organizations go there is STILL an Amiga users group!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreligious View Post
Make Changes? Uuuuhhhh.....no. Admit mistakes??? You're kidding, right? I was once a young, enthusiastic, well-intentioned fellow who was going to help change things. I'm still fairly young but I eventually decided I'd rather live my life serving those that are far from God than beating my head against an unmovable wall. It hurts too much and the people that need us Christ Followers the most are never introduced to the only thing that matters....the grace of God.

As long as foam pours out of the mouth of upcer's when the word "trinitarian" is mentioned, things won't change. I hate to tell you but the next generation is already going for this nonsense.

I jumped in on a thread when I asked someone to stop spreading untrue rumors. Since I joined a few days ago, I've been run through the shredder continually. When you consider that the trend toward exclusivity has only increased over the upc's history, and NEVER decreased, then it is what it is.

If you want things to be different...I say, "Hit the trail."

And I'm glad you're upset.
The issue is not "foaming at the mouth"...in fact the UPCI has had meetings with Trinitarians to come to a peaceful consensus.

The problem the younger generation has with the UPC are what appears to be man made traditions amoung other things. There are enough in the UPC that don't "foam at the mouth" at the mention of the word Trinity.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Go Dodgers!

It's a sad day when Ultra Cons and Liberals have something in common in attacking the UPC

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfWord View Post
I honestly don't relish in the death of any org really. I don't wish to write the UPCI's epitaph nor will I dance on the grave. However, change is inevitable....misery is optional!

The problem is that the UPCI has labelled so many things sin which are not labelled sin in the scripture, that it would be extremely embarrassing and assaulting its integrity, to back track. However, Jesus stated that TRUTH would set the captive free. Until one is willing to face the truth, they will continually use their energy to hide it! Fear is a terrible taskmaster and an enemy of TRUTH.

I am a holiness preacher. I believe that when we are saved that we are saved FROM something. That SOMETHING is sin! We should be able to say, "That is what I WAS and this is what I AM!"

But we should also be willing to proclaim biblical truth and let convictions stand to the bearer. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it! LD
I heard at the next GC they are gonna allow goatees and speedos!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Has anyone been to a Catholic service lately? Lots of blue haired ladies! The average age MUST be around 60. Predicting what this will look like in another 30-40 years is not hard. "Catholic" will soon be something people describe themselves in the same manner that they describe their origins -there will be very few practicing.
I've been to both a Catholic mass and an Eastern Orthodox mass and the crowd at both tended to be young families with children. There were older people there too, but the majority were young families. Maybe just my area.

God is good!

May my life be a daily example of the redeeming power and the love of God
Old 07-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
That may be true in the land of stars and stripes, but recent statistics, presented to the UPC of Canada's National Conference, show that, with the present growth trajectory, the UPC of Canada is destined to double.

The UPC may be dying in the hinterlands to the south, but its future is bright in the north lands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Maple Syrup,

Any chance you are going to be rejoining the UPC in Canada to help jumpstart this growth?
To tell the truth, my post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Honestly, I'm not sure that Sandra isn't, at least, partially right, but I'm a long way from giggling about it.

The decline of the UPC is not good news for anybody in our baby killing, same-sex marrying, prozac popping, pleasure loving world.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Me and my sister Terri

Love AFF and America... freedom to speak our opinions!!!
you all are a blast!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

I think that is true generally. All denom. will eventually "die" since they are not biblical. After all Jesus started the "church." Its HQ in heaven, not in St. Louis, or Springfield, or Rome, or wherever.
Could it be that it is simple economics? Why would a minister pay the almost $100 a month fee, plus tithes to the local church, plus the $20 fee to the local church, for the priviliage to be domniated by a denomination, when they could form their own 501 c 3, for about $500 total. Or they could join many fellowships and the fee is only about $20 a YEAR. I am in one fellowship and the head of the 501c3 DOES NOT CHARGE!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Love AFF and America... freedom to speak our opinions!!!
you all are a blast!!!!
UPCI ROCKS!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Interesting thread......and yes it is sad. Of course it's probably just as sad that I read every post on it, but that is another story! What is apparent to me is the amount of intolerance on both sides of the highway.

I see and understand the concerns of Rev. Haney's generation. They do have VERY valid concerns. I also see the concerns of the younger generation - I personally am smack in the middle (guess I get hit from both sides!!) at any rate, it would be more productive to come and reason together than to banter so much back and forth.

Swift large brush strokes by either side are in large part unfair and in some cases just plain mean. YES we need to stand for truth, but the Bible says it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance, not smashing a persons face in the dirt by saying things like Resolution 4, and people wearing short sleeves, etc. is causing the UPCI to faulter - as if that is going to cause ANYBODY to want to come reason together. What that mentality does is foster more exclusivity and the "We have it all, and everyone else is going to hell in a hand basket" mentality.

Conversly, we can't afford to be sheep with NO FENCE either. We need to live within the fence of Gods Word to be safe from not only the preditors, but safe from our biggest enemy - SELF. We need the ACTS 2:38 message, we need holiness and separation. We need to be willing to pay the cost to build on THE foundation.

Both sides have valid points and need to come together (sort of like they did at the merger) and talk, pray, and come to a concensus and LISTEN to each other and more importantly.....to GOD.