Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Apostolic Articles
Facebook

Notices

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
clothing, honesty, humility, peace, pride

Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Facebook.com/bethelchristian

Vanity and Humility... True Modesty in the Church

Let’s look at a few words and there opposites:

Vanity
Being too proud of yourself or your appearance. The fact of being too proud of your abilities, or too interested in your appearance

Insecurity /Doubt
Not confident about yourself, uncertainty, the state of being uncertain; doubt; hesitancy, Anxious or afraid; not confident or certain, worried, anxious, afraid, shy, uncertain, unsure, timid, self-conscious, hesitant, meek, self-effacing, diffident, or unassertive. To be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe, to distrust, to fear; be apprehensive about.

Now the opposites:

Humility
The quality or condition of being humble, a disposition to be humble; a lack of false pride, the trait of being unduly vain and conceited.

Security/ Undoubtedly
Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence, assured freedom from poverty or want, the state of being certain that adverse effects will not be caused by some agent under defined conditions, feeling no fear, confidence - a feeling of trust (in someone or something), assurance, confidence, safety, comfort, conviction, happiness, certainty, reliance, peace of mind, sureness, positiveness, ease of mind, freedom from doubt, absence of worry.

Deuteronomy 28:66 and thy life shall hang in doubt before thee; and thou shalt fear day and night, and shalt have none assurance of thy life:

God has called us to glory in Him, and in what He has done… not our face book profile, are vehicles, are clothes, our shoes, or our financial situation…

• Facebook has over 400 million users worldwide and over 50% of those sign in more than once a day

• More than 5 billion pieces of content are uploaded each week

• The average user has 130 “Friends”

• There are more than 70 translations of the social networking site face book

Despite the websites claim to be able to control content and “Keep your kids safe”…
There are still over 400 million photos a week that are flagged, and removed due to elicit or offensive content!

1Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

I am not saying that God is anti-Facebook, but I am saying that thanks to face book, and many other websites out there, self proclaiming “Christian” girls, boys, men, and woman are being promoted, lead, and encouraged to post photos, videos, and comments that do anything but reflect God’s Salvation in their lives…

2Corithians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

For the sake of integrity in my own life I chose not to share some examples of “Inappropriate” content, but you can imagine…

1Timothy 2:9 in like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

People are so afraid to go to a church were the pastor/leadership promotes modesty, or Godly apparel, but they have not problem going to a site every day that runs over 550 billion adds a month attempting to get you to do something they want:

Rom 6:1-2 what shall we say then?
Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
God forbid.
How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

…buy this…wears that…watch/play this…

Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

What is the Job of the Word?

Fun?
Good reading?
Entertainment?
Occupy time?
To look good?

2Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So, you may say… I know all this!

Then if we know, then why do we not allow God and His Word and His judgment to come into our lives NOW?
Why do we wait…why do we put it off… why do we choose to submit ourselves to so much that God hates…

Amplified Bible
1 John 1:6-10
[So] if we say we are partakers together and enjoy fellowship with Him when we live and move and are walking about in darkness, we are [both] speaking falsely and do not live and practice the Truth [which the Gospel presents]. But if we [really] are living and walking in the Light, as He [Himself] is in the Light, we have [true, unbroken] fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses (removes) us from all sin and guilt [keeps us cleansed from sin in all its forms and manifestations]. If we say we have no sin [refusing to admit that we are sinners], we delude and lead ourselves astray, and the Truth [which the Gospel presents] is not in us [does not dwell in our hearts]. If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]. we say (claim) we have not sinned, we contradict His Word and make Him out to be false and a liar, and His Word is not in us [the divine message of the Gospel is not in our hearts].

Amos 3:6-8
When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the LORD caused it?
Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.
The lion has roared, who will not fear?
The Sovereign LORD has spoke, who can but prophesy?

Revelation 20:10-15 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever.
And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Bible Evangelist,

Timothy M. Locklear
bethelchristian.org
facebook.com/bethelchristian

God has a plan a will...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

Re: Vanity and Humility... True Modesty in the Chu

what can i say but amen
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I guess I understand the individual pieces of the first post but am a little confused on how it all ties together.

Are you saying that Facebook promotes immodesty (for the women of course)?

http://www.facebook.com/randy.dietmeyer

Last edited by RandyWayne; 08-10-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
The "Light"House

I think what he is trying to say is, and correct me if I'm wrong, why are we engaging in activities, and using sites that promote what we don't believe in. Another point is, why aren't you doing what you believe in.

(Read my signature)
Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. (Romans 1:32 KJV)

So stop trying justify your sin, grow up, and deal with it like an adult should.