Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Re: Has Steve Pixler left Apostolic Conservatism?

Steve Pixler is an interesting person.

For a while he was accused of being a preterist because he held, by his own admission, to a post trib historist stand. The group he was raised in all believed that way.

He wrote a chapter in the book, "Our future hope" that tried to defend that stand and made his statement against the charges that he was one of those accursed preeeeeterists!

But since that time he has continued to study the Book and has made some very controversial statements regarding facial hair that has set his former circle of Ultracons in a tizzy. They are almost beside themselves to sacrifice him upon the altar of self-justification.

Time will tell where he goes from here but I like the statement about following God and not worrying about his daddy's legacy. That must have really upset the "Group" as that is a big big deal with them, ie Westburg and Bean and others. They are more worried at times about their own legacy than the legacy of Christ.

What happened to "I must decrease that He may increase"?

Ought to be interesting!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

I'm praying, because my real fear is that Steve will wind up like two other Ft Worth pastors, one UPC and the other AMF and make a complete ship wreck.

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
When females wear jeans, I can't call it modest. They are form fitting. I know good Christian women, some who I believe to have even been filled with the Holy Ghost, who wear jeans and most jeans for females are form-fitting.

I haven't lusted off of them, but you would have to redefine "modesty" to defend jeans-- and once pants are acceptable, jeans will be too, in very short time.

When people say it is a slippery slope, it really is.

I don't have the answer. I know legalism doesn't save and neither does it keep anyone saved. I know jeans for females MOST of the time can't really by called modest.

People really need the Holy Ghost for themselves.
I wish I'd been wearing jeans yesterday when I walked outside to go to church. I'd have much rather been wearing jeans that didn't show my underwear, rather than the well past my knees dress that happened to get stuck in my underwear. Some people got a show when I walked out to my car from my house and I was mortified.

I'd wear slacks to church if it wouldn't make people stare at me more than they already do because of my short hair. Which is short not just because I want it that way, but because I had to do something *drastic* to kill an infected open wound/rash that had taken up residence on the back of my neck and was not going away after a couple of years of prescription drugs. And cutting off my hair was what it took. And it's going to stay that way. I'd tell that to Lee Stoneking's face, that my health is far more important than the length of my hair.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I am always a bit leery when a preacher makes a huge swing in a short period of time. I hope it is for all of the right reasons. Time will tell and I certainly will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes it is not as "sudden" a swing as it appears because a preacher has been coming to a new understanding himself over years but has been afraid to show it. The danger in these cases is if he tries to take a church very quickly through something that took him a long time.

The psychological conditioning that goes with legalistic clothesline preaching can't be undone in a short series of sermons. It is a very long road.
That is so very true.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
I am always a bit leery when a preacher makes a huge swing in a short period of time. I hope it is for all of the right reasons. Time will tell and I certainly will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes it is not as "sudden" a swing as it appears because a preacher has been coming to a new understanding himself over years but has been afraid to show it. The danger in these cases is if he tries to take a church very quickly through something that took him a long time.

The psychological conditioning that goes with legalistic clothesline preaching can't be undone in a short series of sermons. It is a very long road.
I don't believe it was all of a sudden

For a few years SP seems to have been progressive. Im really not surprised at all

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

Where does the Word of God say you can do any of those things?
Seriously, you need permission from the Word of God to grow a beard?

Well let's start with Jesus and go from there.

I also doubt Peter, Andrew, James and John wore long sleeves on the Sea of Galilee.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill

Last edited by Jason B; 07-14-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

Where does the Word of God say YOU CAN DO any of those things?
Your question betrays your lack of scriptural support for your traditions.

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
Seriously, you need permission from the Word of God to grow a beard?

Well let's start with Jesus and go from there.

I also doubt Peter, Andrew, James and John wore long sleeves on the Sea of Galilee.
Next you will be suggesting Jesus and the Apostles didn't wear suits with ties and that they didn't meet Sunday mornings and Sunday night!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Next you will be suggesting Jesus and the Apostles didn't wear suits with ties and that they didn't meet Sunday mornings and Sunday night!
What?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photobucket-shocked.jpg (11.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
What???? Surely you jest....and I'll bet the next thing you're gonna to try to tell us is that Jesus & the Apostles didn't use the KJV either........reprobate......lol