Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-19-2021, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

2 Week Notices

So my wife is leaving her company for a better position at another. She put in her 2 weeks notice and HR wanted her to sign a paper saying something to the effect that "If you miss any days (even being sick, etc) or are late or leave early that we will immediately accept your resignation". She refused to sign and the HR lady wanted to speak with her. The HR lady 1) implied that if she didn't sign the paper that it would affect her being rehired in the future and 2) stated that it didn't necessarily mean she would be asked to immediately resign if any of that occurred. But she did ultimately state my wife didn't have to sign the paper.

My wife refused to sign. I think it was the right decision. I also can't imagine an employee that had been with them over 3 years, rarely ever missed, etc would not be viewed as a favorable rehire. (Though she would have to be desperate to work for them again at this point). I really think the implied threat would be without teeth if she did ever reapply there. Thoughts?

But this whole process has left us with a pretty negative opinion about how this company runs things. Is this normal behavior nowadays? Does anyone have any other bad experiences when it comes to giving a two weeks notice?
Old 08-19-2021, 05:09 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: 2 Week Notices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
So my wife is leaving her company for a better position at another. She put in her 2 weeks notice and HR wanted her to sign a paper saying something to the effect that "If you miss any days (even being sick, etc) or are late or leave early that we will immediately accept your resignation". She refused to sign and the HR lady wanted to speak with her. The HR lady 1) implied that if she didn't sign the paper that it would affect her being rehired in the future and 2) stated that it didn't necessarily mean she would be asked to immediately resign if any of that occurred. But she did ultimately state my wife didn't have to sign the paper.

My wife refused to sign. I think it was the right decision. I also can't imagine an employee that had been with them over 3 years, rarely ever missed, etc would not be viewed as a favorable rehire. (Though she would have to be desperate to work for them again at this point). I really think the implied threat would be without teeth if she did ever reapply there. Thoughts?

But this whole process has left us with a pretty negative opinion about how this company runs things. Is this normal behavior nowadays? Does anyone have any other bad experiences when it comes to giving a two weeks notice?
Good for her, and good for you.

Companies will always try to get over on the workers. If you can it's better to start your own business. Work for yourself. But bravo to your wife, she did the right thing. They tried to put her in the trick bag by putting paper to pen and grab her signature. It's like getting a vaccination from a company who petitioned the federal government to protect them from litigations if anyone was harmed from the vaccine. Companies make you sign paperwork for one reason, to protect them, not you.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:40 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Two week's notice?

Would the employer give YOU two week's notice if they decided to let you go?

If no, then there's your answer as to whether two week's notice is anything other than a scam.

Of course it all depends on your individual work situation and environment.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-20-2021, 01:33 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Two week's notice?

If no, then there's your answer as to whether two week's notice is anything other than a scam.

I see the 2-week notice as more of a courtesy to your employer, in regards to parting on good terms and giving them time to find a replacement. It can also have an affect on how your current employer responds to a call from your future employer, regarding how you were as an employee (favorable versus unfavorable report). If you don't care about the employer, then you just quit without notice.

And the reason the employer doesn't give notice when firing, is because they're worried (sometimes rightfully so) about retribution by the employee. And they've likely already planned out your replacement, so there's no need for them to find one.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
I see the 2-week notice as more of a courtesy to your employer, in regards to parting on good terms and giving them time to find a replacement.
My view as well. If it's a place that I would consider working at again I would give one.

Quote:
It can also have an affect on how your current employer responds to a call from your future employer, regarding how you were as an employee (favorable versus unfavorable report).
It could but it really shouldn't.

Quote:
If you don't care about the employer, then you just quit without notice.
Agreed.

Quote:
And the reason the employer doesn't give notice when firing, is because they're worried (sometimes rightfully so) about retribution by the employee. And they've likely already planned out your replacement, so there's no need for them to find one.
Ironic - That's also a reason employees may not give a company a two weeks notice: "if they are afraid of retribution such as being fired simply for putting in the notice before completing their notice period."
Old 08-20-2021, 06:19 PM
New User

Quote:
Ironic - That's also a reason employees may not give a company a two weeks notice: "if they are afraid of retribution such as being fired simply for putting in the notice before completing their notice period."
This has happened. I know a guy…
Old 08-20-2021, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
My view as well. If it's a place that I would consider working at again I would give one.

It could but it really shouldn't.

Agreed.

In the case laid out above, if the boss goes ahead and fires you, it would be pretty close to the same result as not giving two weeks notice.

I’ve been on both sides of the issue. My policy is to treat everyone with respect, if possible. Because I would rather to always have the option of returning to work. It doesn’t mean that I have to take that option, only that it’s available. It has served me well.

I have employed many people as well. Sometimes I gave them notice, sometimes I didn’t. If there was a conflict, I may fire them without two minutes notice. It may save a fight. There’s nothing magical about two weeks either. It is really about treating people with respect. It often has the effect of polishing your personal brand, and ultimately creating demand for your services. People are funny. If nobody wants you, then nobody else wants you either. But if the word gets out that some other company wants to hire you, another company will often beat them to it.

I have let employees go just because I couldn’t dredge up even the slightest bit of respect for them. I’d rather work with people I have respect for.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:50 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
I see the 2-week notice as more of a courtesy to your employer, in regards to parting on good terms and giving them time to find a replacement. It can also have an affect on how your current employer responds to a call from your future employer, regarding how you were as an employee (favorable versus unfavorable report). If you don't care about the employer, then you just quit without notice.

Why don't employers offer the same "courtesy" to their employees? Don't need 2 weeks to find a replacement? How about the employee needing 2 weeks to find another way to feed their kids and pay their bills? That would be nice.

The truth is the whole 2 weeks thing is pushed by employers in order to give the employer an advantage. It benefits them, period. It is marketed to employees as "courtesy". But it's really about the boss ensuring you leaving causes them minimal or no disruption in operations and thus profits.

My son has had several jobs. On a couple of them at the interview they asked him if he would give 2 weeks notice if he ever decided to leave. He always tells them straight up "No." They look surprised, and he asks them "Would you give me 2 weeks notice?" Every. Single. Time. they told him a variation of "Fair enough". And then hired him.

But like I said, it depends on the situation. If my leaving would cause hardship and extra work to my coworkers then I'll give notice so my leaving doesn't cause a negative impact. But I am ALWAYS prepared to leave that same day because there are quite a few companies that will terminate you the moment you give notice.

Of course, I don't work for an employer any more (thanks to Jesus!) so I don't really have that problem. And being courteous is one thing (as Christians we ought to be courteous). But some rule about 2 weeks notice? Nope. I've had people work for me before. I never demanded or expected any "notice" and never held it against them if they decide to drag up one day. If your operations take a hit because an employee leaves without notice, your operations need to be adjusted.

Then again my work background is construction, mostly industrial (refineries) or large commercial stuff. Nobody gives 2 weeks notice in that line of work that I've ever seen.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-20-2021, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Two week's notice?

Yes a two week notice. It is called integrity and doing what is right.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-21-2021, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

I just disappear to avoid dirty looks. In 2 weeks they notice I am long gone. Burn the bridge.