Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Re: Can any WPF'rs explain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
From WWPF by-law:

I will also avoid having television, or other Hollywood or Hollywood-type productions and movies in my home or elsewhere. I will further refrain from engaging in any other such unacceptable programs or materials via radio, internet or any other present or future technology. I will limit my use of all forms of communication technology to that which is, educational, business, or otherwise wholesome and edifying.

Question: As this statement prohibits television in any form or fashion, why does it allow internet (barring unacceptable programs) to squeeze in under educational, business or otherwise wholesome and edifying? HMMMMMMM??? Are they saying a televison is more likely to destroy a person spiritually than the internet????????????????? It appears silly to have an internet site for your church but feel the need to form another organization because the UPC now allows advertising on television. Just looking for some principle here.
The problem is they are so egocentric. Because they preached against TV for 6 decades they can not show weakness and say now it is ok.

The internet however is new technology in the past 15 years.

They are so foolish it's just crazy...
Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Walkbyfaith7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyde View Post
Are any on here? Other than that new guy who knows everybody and everything.

Yes there are many but they all come on as guests and lurk around seeing what you all are saying about them.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
Not to defend the WPF, but I have explained the differences in principle and practice between broadcast television and internet access here on AFF until I'm blue in the face. I'm done. The Cliff's notes: It's push vs. pull media. People either get it or they don't. People either want more of the world's "offerings" or they want less.
OPC, One quick question...

If one can "pull" the exact same program on the internet that is "pushed" on TV, would it stand to reason, then, that the content should be forbidden? Or do you make the case that C-span is acceptable on the internet but should be avoided on TV?

If both of the medias have overlapping content, is it then not a question of content rather then conduit?

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post

If one can "pull" the exact same program on the internet that is "pushed" on TV, would it stand to reason, then, that the content should be forbidden? Or do you make the case that C-span is acceptable on the internet but should be avoided on TV?

If both of the medias have overlapping content, is it then not a question of content rather then conduit?
Stumper!

Or DVD's of TV shows can be watched, but not the actual show in real time.

P.S. Also, as someone stated that the internet is safer because of all the protection programs you can purchase. Well, they make that for TV also - Guardian Angel I believe it's called.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 AM
arbitrary subjective label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post

Start a new thread.

Despite today's rising cost of living, it remains popular.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Start a new thread.
Lol....sounds like it's still a question that would fall under the title of this thread....
Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Stumper!

Or DVD's of TV shows can be watched, but not the actual show in real time.

P.S. Also, as someone stated that the internet is safer because of all the protection programs you can purchase. Well, they make that for TV also - Guardian Angel I believe it's called.
Rhenda, While at JCM many years after you (lol) one of the FPC guys came to JCM and we became good friends... We would go to his house and his parents had a monitor and a vcr (which has a tuner)... We couldn't watch prime time from 7-10pm, but they would record the prime time programs and we could then start watching them at 10... That was acceptable...

I guess the rules vary... You can watch TV programs as long as it is not while they are being initially played... wacko
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Start a new thread.
Done - in the main Fellowship hall.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Forever Loved Admin

I think the silly part is you can watch wholesome programs on TV, but watch out for those evil commercials. And of course you can't get those on the internet.........
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 AM
R.D. Foster

Herein lies the problem: The Manual of the UPCI states; "We wholeheartedly disaprove of our people indulging in any activities which are not conducive to good Christianity and godly living, such as theaters, dances, mixed bathing or swimming, women cutting their hair, makeup, any apparel that immodestly exposes the body, all worldly sports and amusements, and unwholesome radio programs and music. Furthermore, because of the display of all these evils on television, we disaprove of any of our people having television sets in their homes." Each UPCI minister agrees to this yearly. So the real problem lies with UPCI ministers that sign saying they agree when they don't. This makes them liars. WPF'ers don't agree with the new advertising stand and rather than become liars they are leaving.

It sounds like some of you need to pick apart the UPCI stand against TV instead of the WPF.