Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Re: Can any WPF'rs explain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Ok then post 31...

"We disaprove of our people owning televisions"

You seem to be saying some do own them. This is clearly not open to interpretation you say... but I think it is.

1. So...the ownership is regarding who? Not the spouse, or a rental agency or other family member etc. but "our people".

2. If any and all "TV" and worse is available on your PC, does your PC then become a "TV" in this case??

In both cases, I agree, they are currently somewhat of "loopholes" in the "rule book" and a change in wording is forthcoming.
I agree, Stephen. To an outsider this would sound like it's intentionally vague. It sounds like the writers wanted to leave a lot of options open.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
People are free to associate with who ever they wish. The "WwPF'ers" are likewise free to come and go and have the associations that they choose.

I'd be interested in any study that you've seen where "Social Scientists" "agree" that televison is morally worse than the Internet.
They generally shun the idea of morals. I don't think you could even find a study that says television is a "force for evil" at all.

As far as people not answering this "question" (you bring that up in your next post), try putting a question mark after the question.

The only real problem I have with the WwPF is the way they went about their recruiting and then the follow up defensive actions they took. I am also a little disappointed that they haven't really been able to garner more support from the "conservatives" and "ultra-cons" out there. I wanted to see a nice clean "break," so to speak, right down ideological lines. That would have been best for everyone.
If I type "Blue Smurfs" into my Tivo, it will go to a cartoon channel, If I do it on my browser, there are sites that will pop up I will not navigate to...but I could
Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
If I type "Blue Smurfs" into my Tivo, it will go to a cartoon channel, If I do it on my browser, there are sites that will pop up I will not navigate to...but I could
Good point. And the set up screen on my television shows an IP address now. My TV is on the Internet.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Or White House

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Go Dodgers!

What it appears to me is a situation where approval was given in the past to a medium without really looking into it and rather than admit wrong they instead try to justify the decision by any means necessary. It reminds me of people that actually try to prove facial hair is a sin by quoting scriptures

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 AM
impactleader

Who says we don't agree with the AOF when it comes to people having TV's in their homes. Res 4 didn't change our stance aginst TV. All it did was allowed us to advertise and minister on TV (which I don't agree with for a whole lot of reasons). I can assure you when I sign each year. I still wholeheartedly disaprove of people indulging in worldly activities. The questian to be asked is when it's preached against do the saints continue to do it anyway?

As for the Internet, The Position Papers in the back of the manual state that the UPCI recognizes that the widespread use among our people may not be reversed but that the dangers must not be ignored. It goes on to give a list of guildlines to monitor the access and use of the Internet.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Formerly known as CareyM

Interesting bit of info here...In NW's church almost half his congregation has TV...
Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Jellybean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post
Interesting bit of info here...In NW's church almost half his congregation has TV...
Surely those were just the 'new converts'.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mrs View Post
Surely those were just the 'new converts'.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post

I find your statement interesting. Unless things have changed drastically in the past couple of years. I questions that "almost half" of his congregation would have TV. I personally know someone who left that church because she couldn't sing in the choir or be involved in leadership position because of the TV in their home.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11