Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
biblical holiness, christian living, holy ghost, pentecostal, personal

Old 09-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Don't ask.

Re: Is Holiness More Than A Departure From Sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Holiness means separation:
1. Separation from Man and God [contrary to secular humanism]
2. Separation in speech [use of cursings from youth to government officials, and even loosley in our own pulpits]
3. Separation between man and animals. Man and animals are not equal. PETA describes the barbecuing of chickend to be comparable to Haulocast on a plate. Again secular humanism and devlauation of the status of men.
4. Separation of the sexes in dress and sexuality. Men and women dress differently and before the Bible homosexuality across cultures was a common practice, but remember the Old Testament law defined sin, and the New testament did away with homosexuality as well as poligamy. Men are to be heterosexual and faithful to one wife.
Guess I'm holy, then. Wow. 1. I know I'm not God. 2. I don't curse. 3. I don't equate man and animals. 4. I don't dress like a woman.

Who knew?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Guess I'm holy, then. Wow. 1. I know I'm not God. 2. I don't curse. 3. I don't equate man and animals. 4. I don't dress like a woman.

Who knew?
Oh, and I'm a straight guy, married to only one woman, and I'm faithful.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
delete account

Quote:

Who knew?
You forgot one thing...
Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
You forgot one thing...
You mean this (posts crossed 'in the mail')?

Quote:
Oh, and I'm a straight guy, married to only one woman, and I'm faithful.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
ultra con (at least here)

Holiness is a state of being, not a code of conduct.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Standing fast in liberty!

Holiness IS more than a departure from sin. It involves drawing closer to God and allowing Him to guide your thoughts, emotions, actions, and everything else in your life.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
delete account

Holiness is accepting the grace and mercy of God and covering yourself in his righteousness. Holiness is the nature and character of God which we are unable to accomplish in ourselves or through the law. Galatians about covers it

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Holiness is a state of belonging to someone, and in our cases, we belong to God so we are HOLY to God. Therefore, we should act like we belong to Him, or act holy.

People used to use the word centuries ago in simple things such as this "bag" is holy to me, which means it simply belongs to me.

Unfortunately, "holiness" is so synonymous with dress standards now that when you mention HOLINESS people immediately think of clothing. That is so far removed from the actual meaning. Holiness WILL CAUSE us to not dress like harlots and so on. But holiness is not dress codes.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Since we are speaking about belonging to God when we say HOLY, and sin separates us from God, then separation from sin is indeed part of holiness. But we can be HOLY to anything or anyone. But it is more than being separate from sin. It is separate BECAUSE WE BELONG. BELONGING is the more core idea.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1399 View Post
For the Christian who is Holy Ghost filled, is Holiness more than a departure from sin?
1399, it is an interesting question.

Holiness isnt about saved folk not sinning. although you cannot walk in holiness and live a life of sin.

Holiness isnt a list of rules that we live by either. Although Holiness had better make you rethink the rules you live your life by.

My explination of holiness generally makes a lot of people around here uncomfortable because most here will tell you that God credits you with his holiness.... which is an Idea I reject out of hand. God DOES credit to us his righteousness. He stamps us with his righteousness and that gives us "right standing" with him.

But the bible says "BE HOLY" and that means we have to have some roll to play in that process. We dont simiply become holy when we become saved. We do come in contact with HIS HOLINESS and therefore we will be moved to BE HOLY, but there is still some act on our part in this process. And that isnt simply about sin.

My explination is that as we move toward God, It is like we are walking down a long dark hallway. at the end of that hallway is the LIGHT of God. the closer we get to Him, the more of his light shines on us, and we can then see those things that are impure or un-Christlike. To move forward into the Light of God, we have to clean those things up.

It is a progression (and very much a part of real sanctification).

This is also very much the work of Grace in the life of a believer (see Titus on this). Greace is a teacher. It requires learning on our part.

Also remember that there are NO requirements on sinners. That is why they are sinners. They live outside the law of Christ.

But it is vastly wrong (IMHO) to suggest that there are no requirements on believers by God.