Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

The Son Is Gods Self 1 Hr. Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 04-19-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:11 PM
Banned

Re: The Son Is Gods Self 1 Hr. Video

Myself, Myself, why hast thou forsaken thyself?
Old 04-19-2021, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

People flip out when they think God is both the Son and Father, as if God is speaking to himself. Meanwhile, the bible shows a MaN SPEAKING TO HIMSELF:

Luk 12:16.. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:..

Watch how he THINKS WITHIN HIMSELF:

Luk 12:17.. And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?..

He just asked himself a question!

Then he answers himself:

Luk 12:18.. And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

Then he actually speaks to his own soul:
Luk 12:19.. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry...

And then we read God took counsel of his own will!

Ephesians 1:11 KJV.. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

In the case of God, He so perfectly manifested as a human being that that man had to pray and rely on deity! And to say that God cannot do that as a single person is to weaken his abilities and base them on the limitations that human beings have, who cannot manifest themselves with another nature. So simple yet so many make that fatal error.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 04-19-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
People flip out when they think God is both the Son and Father, as if God is speaking to himself. Meanwhile, the bible shows a MaN SPEAKING TO HIMSELF:

Luk 12:16.. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:..

Luk 12:17.. And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?..

Then he answers himself:

Luk 12:18.. And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

Luk 12:19.. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry...

Ephesians 1:11 KJV.. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

In the case of God, He so perfectly manifested as a human being that that man had to pray and rely on deity! And to say that God cannot do that as a single person is to weaken his abilities and base them on the limitations that human beings have, who cannot manifest themselves with another nature. So simple yet so many make that fatal error.
So, then we can use the phrase, God the Son?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
For what it’s worth, the phrase God the Son doesn’t appear at all on the whole Bible. That is according to a search of the Bible that I requested. On the other hand, the phrase Son of God occurs forty seven times in the NT and once in the OT. The lone occurrence in the OT of the phrase Son of God occurs in Daniel when the fourth figure appeared in the fiery furnace.

So, whatever that means.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Since we teach God is the son then that is correct.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Going back to the start....

Quote:
No, why would that imply God the Son?? Lol.

God was not born. Humanity that God Manifested in was Born. Simple.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 04-29-2021, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Going back to the start....

No, why would that imply God the Son?? Lol.

God was not born. Humanity that God Manifested in was Born. Simple.
I asked that not because I believe your belief is in that direction. I asked that because others on here believe the humanity, was God.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Then he answers himself:

Excellent Brother Blume!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Then he answers himself:

Mike,

The situation in Luke 12 and the rich man and his private, internal cogitations is not at all the same as the situation we see between Jesus and the Father. You quoted the text at length and even emboldened some of the text as proof. Let me show you:

Quote:
And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?..
Notice what the man does as he thinks within himself: He asks Himself "What shall I do?

He then responds to His own personal musings:

Quote:
And he said, This will I do
Notice again the use of "I", the first person referent to Himself.

Then, as you show, he speaks to his own soul here:

Quote:
And I will say to my soul, Soul,
Note the specificity of the Greek for "my soul":

τῇ ψυχῇ μου (tē psychē mou)

Literally, it reads "the soul of me". Mou is found in the Genitive Case, meaning personal possession or source of origin.

See: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/luke/12-19.htm

In every instance you shared from Luke 12, the narrative never suggests that the man is in any way speaking to anyone other than himself.

He, like many of us humans, is referring to himself in 3rd person. But when we do such things, we are not actually presupposing that our self is actually another person.

But note what Jesus says in John 17:5,

Quote:
5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
Jesus says quite clearly that the Father has a "self" that is differentiated and wholly not the self of Jesus/the Son.

The Greek phrasing is as follows:

παρὰ σεαυτῷ (para seautō)

Or literally, "with Yourself", noting that σεαυτῷ (seautō) "Yourself" is a compound of two words, namely:

σέ (se) meaning "you" and αὐτός (autos), meaning "self".

See:

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/17-5.htm
https://biblehub.com/greek/4572.htm
https://biblehub.com/greek/4571.htm
https://biblehub.com/greek/846.htm

This means that as far as Jesus was concerned, the Father was an entirely different person, if you will, or entity and identity, with a "self" that was not at all the self of the Son, but was unique to the Father alone.

It is therefore a mistake to use the situation of Luke 12 and the rich man's internal monologue as descriptive of the nature of the relationship between, and the differentiation of of the persons of, the Father and the Son.

The issue then is not limiting God or His ability. The limitations are from the Scriptures themselves, and from what Jesus actually said with the language He Himself employed, for our understanding.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 04-21-2021 at 09:40 PM.