Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Banned

Re: Why Baptize In Jesus Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefaith2 View Post
Acts 22:16 clearly shows that Paul is being told to call or involke the name.
Acts 22:16 clearly teaches that the individual is calling on the name of Jesus.

Act 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

'Thou' is calling on the name of the Lord, not someone else.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerman View Post

Act 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

This is in the middle voice NO ONE baptizes himself and the one doing the baptizing is invoking the name. The baptizer was told to baptize in the name. Mt. 28:19 James 2:7 & Acts 15:17 speaks of the name being invoked over them.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Agreed.
I did not say they didn't call on the name of Jesus at baptism - I believe they did, especially the one getting baptised. Yet, we are left without any specific formula when it comes to exact wording for the ceremony. Even OPs use variations to this very day.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
This is in the middle voice NO ONE baptizes himself and the one doing the baptizing is invoking the name. The baptizer was told to baptize in the name. Mt. 28:19 James 2:7 & Acts 15:17 speaks of the name being invoked over them.
The passage wasn't speaking of the baptizor at any point, Paul was speaking of his encounter with Ananias and Ananias' instructions to him to be baptized, among other things.

"Thou" and "thy" directly relate to the person who is calling on the name of the Lord, Paul in this instance. NOTHING in the passage speaks of the words the baptizor is to utter over Paul at his baptism. The focus of the scripture is always concerning Paul, the focus never changes to the personal actions of the baptzor.

This translation says it best....

Act 22:16 'Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Urban Pastor

I believe that the Covenant Name of Jesus Christ should be invoked over every person while they are in the water to be baptized. I DO NOT believe in just saying "In Jesus Name." When we say,"In the Name of Jesus Christ", we are saying, because of or in the Authority and Power of the person of Jesus Christ. We come into a blood covenant with Jesus Christ in water baptism when we take on His name. Our heart is spiritually and supernaturally circumcised and the blood of Jesus Christ is Supernaturally applied to our life.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:

Makes sense. I've heard this before, and it holds water, no pun intended.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Banned

AB, I gather that you are not a Catholic? Then?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
The passage wasn't speaking of the baptizor at any point, Paul was speaking of his encounter with Ananias and Ananias' instructions to him to be baptized, among other things.

"Thou" and "thy" directly relate to the person who is calling on the name of the Lord, Paul in this instance. NOTHING in the passage speaks of the words the baptizor is to utter over Paul at his baptism. The focus of the scripture is always concerning Paul, the focus never changes to the personal actions of the baptzor.

Act 22:16 'Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.'
I like this explanation by Gill:"calling on the name of the Lord; the name of the Lord is not only to be used by the administrator of baptism in the performance of it; but it should be called upon by the person who submits to it, both before and at the administration of it, for the presence of Christ in it; and this invocation of the name of the Lord in baptism, signifies an exercise of faith in Christ at this time, a profession of him, and obedience to him."

I've always liked both couples, in a marriage ceremony, to each say their vows. I've been in some ceremonies where the officiant spoke the words and the couple only said, "I do." I didn't like that as much.

It would be very awesome for the administrator in baptism and the person being baptized to both have words to speak.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
NOPE it is in the middle voice Paul no more baptized himself than he invoked the name!!!!!!!!!!! The baptizer is to invoke the name see Mt.28:19.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Did Paul baptize HIMSELF???????????????????????? It is in the MIDDLE voice look it up. He no more invoked the name than he baptized himself.