Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

"Churches arm, train congregants"

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...l_twitter_abcn
Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 PM
New User

Re: "Churches arm, train congregants"

Well,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
We were just discussing this very thing in staff meeting this week, and I found out that we have several gun-toting men at church that I didn't even know about. They are "unofficial" security, I guess. LOL
http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...3&postcount=53
Old 08-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Any church needs to be prepared for an armed attack. Smaller churches can handle this through an informal security plan, usually the ushers. Probably the only difference is that in the past strong arms would have been enough to handle any disturbance and now at least some need to be armed with a firearm.

Larger churches need to be prepared with a formal security plan and team to execute a consistent and comprehensive watch to do the best to keep church goeers safe.

My church has a security team made up of qualified volunteers for each of our four weekend services. You can pick them out by the secret service type earpieces if you look closely. Our pastor doesn't go to the platform until the last praise and worship song and if you look closely you can see a security guy following him across the back of the congregation and up the side aisle at a discreet distance. That security guy then sits clsoe to the front the rest of service.

Our security team is trained to defuse situations rather than escalate them so they are very professional and calm. They don't provoke or act in any rude way. However they can respond with physical force if required.

I know we also have a uniformed and armed deputy at services some or all of the time. I don't know if he is a member, volunters, or is hired.

It is a sad testament that any of this is necessary but I think the Lord expects us to use common sense to protect churchgoers in this crazy age we live in. All of our security is very discrete so as not to draw attention away from church itself.

(I will now count to ten and wait for EB or some other fine christian poster make some smart alek remark about my post and remind me why I rarely post here anymore)
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Any church needs to be prepared for an armed attack. Smaller churches can handle this through an informal security plan, usually the ushers. Probably the only difference is that in the past strong arms would have been enough to handle any disturbance and now at least some need to be armed with a firearm.

Larger churches need to be prepared with a formal security plan and team to execute a consistent and comprehensive watch to do the best to keep church goeers safe.

My church has a security team made up of qualified volunteers for each of our four weekend services. You can pick them out by the secret service type earpieces if you look closely. Our pastor doesn't go to the platform until the last praise and worship song and if you look closely you can see a security guy following him across the back of the congregation and up the side aisle at a discreet distance. That security guy then sits clsoe to the front the rest of service.

Our security team is trained to defuse situations rather than escalate them so they are very professional and calm. They don't provoke or act in any rude way. However they can respond with physical force if required.

I know we also have a uniformed and armed deputy at services some or all of the time. I don't know if he is a member, volunters, or is hired.

It is a sad testament that any of this is necessary but I think the Lord expects us to use common sense to protect churchgoers in this crazy age we live in. All of our security is very discrete so as not to draw attention away from church itself.

(I will now count to ten and wait for EB or some other fine christian poster make some smart alek remark about my post and remind me why I rarely post here anymore)
It is sad that this is becoming more commonplace in our places of worship.

The church I attend is small, anywhere from 80 - 110 on Sundays. The men's leader, who's also an usher, always carries. Now and then I've seen one other congregant carrying, but I don't know of anyone else. I don't know that this church has any kind of emergency plan or anything.

One church I attended previously was a bit larger - approx 150 - 200. There was an "Amour Bearer" who was always near the Pastor while he was at the church. He had a shoulder holster. That church's Pastor had single men who would sit in the aisle seats in various areas. They were placed so as to try and stop anyone from, I guess, charging the platform or if someone came into the auditorium with a weapon, to try and quickly engage them and attempt to stop any kind of attack.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:53 PM
New User

WWJD?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post

wwjd?
Pump their guts full of lead?

Last edited by JamesGlen; 08-20-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Most of the old preachers who have passed on would shudder to go to many of our churches today, they faced opposition all the time, many times the antagonists were armed. They just said... "In the Name of Jesus", seemed to work for them but.....

Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

All you that believe in carrying guns better never go to another country, you will be scared to death.

In other countries you have to have faith.... yes I know that is archaic but that is the way it is.

Wow. I expect the Baptists who don't believe in the Spirit to grab on to this but Apostolics? Yet, i have heard it and seen it for myself.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post

WWJD?
[Luk 4:29-30 NKJV] 29 and rose up and thrust Him out of the city; and they led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built, that they might throw Him down over the cliff. 30 Then passing through the midst of them [and pepper spraying them all while pointing his gun at them], He went His way.

Right?
Old 08-21-2019, 05:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterrey View Post
Most of the old preachers who have passed on would shudder to go to many of our churches today, they faced opposition all the time, many times the antagonists were armed. They just said... "In the Name of Jesus", seemed to work for them but.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterrey View Post
All you that believe in carrying guns better never go to another country, you will be scared to death.

In other countries you have to have faith.... yes I know that is archaic but that is the way it is.

Wow. I expect the Baptists who don't believe in the Spirit to grab on to this but Apostolics? Yet, i have heard it and seen it for myself.

Pastors being shot while preaching in pulpit, because they had a lack of faith, or lack of verbal command backed by faith....
Uhhh OK.
You can let his children know if he’d have had more faith, or been a little faster at invoking the name of Jesus, he would still be alive. That way they’ll have an understanding.