Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Re: Hotlinking and Image Violation

I sometimes post things from you tube,if this is wrong,I will stop,I hope I haven't done anything wrong.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
I sometimes post things from you tube,if this is wrong,I will stop,I hope I haven't done anything wrong.
No,infact youtube helps you by giving you the link

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

I have no idea what you guys are talking about! Can you show an example of it in someone's post?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgustaveson View Post
1.) Without giving proper credit, i.e. a link back for creative commons images, you are breaking a copyright law.

2.) I never said hotlinking was a copyright violation but it causes monetary loss to the owner of the content, however, a copyright allows the creator of an image to control where an image they created will be shown and used. Hot-linking can thus constitute a violation of Copyright.

It is also a stipulation of 90% of web hosts that hotlinking will result in removal of you account.
By using a Hot link you are infact pointing to the original source.

It only cause monetary lost IF they are selling the image for use and specify that hot linking is not allowed, in which case if that is really their livlihood they would use preventative measures like some websites that change the URL.

I will wait for a court case or something to prove this out. I don't think it's that clear as far as US copywrite laws.

We already protext against intellectual rights. But if you see a violation let us know

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
By using a Hot link you are infact pointing to the original source.

It only cause monetary lost IF they are selling the image for use and specify that hot linking is not allowed, in which case if that is really their livlihood they would use preventative measures like some websites that change the URL.

I will wait for a court case or something to prove this out. I don't think it's that clear as far as US copywrite laws.

We already protext against intellectual rights. But if you see a violation let us know
No, you are using their server resources and it causes them to lose money based on that.

I think it is not only unsafe as far legality because 1) it is stealing 2) it is against the Google TOS.

I don't think anyone as to specify hotlinking is not allowed, it is just a known rule. People don't put stuff on their website so people can copy unless they specify. Site like YouTube, ImageShack, Flickr are all sites that say go ahead. Most web owners don't want images used on other sites.

The fact that it is against Google TOS and 95% of internet hosts TOS should be enough to not allow it. If Google would be informed that would result in immediate suspension of AFF listings in SERPS.

The keyword here though is that display of images is restricted to the copyright owner, if that isn't enough if there isn't a copyright then you are eating up their bandwidth and that costs money.

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
I have no idea what you guys are talking about! Can you show an example of it in someone's post?
http://apostolicfriendsforum.com/sho...t=15983&page=2

Notice the Image is not a site owned by the poster or a free image site.

Hotlinking can also be linking http://www.site.com/image.jpg, to avoid hotlinking link to the page you found the image on so that the owner of the content gets the traffic, the ad residuals, and isn't getting bandwidth stolen.

I used to have a bad problem with this and it was eating my bandwidth bad, so I placed a script in my htaccess file that only allows images from SBF to be displayed at superbowlforums.com.

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!