Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Re: Tithe-vs-Paying Your Bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by holinesspk View Post
Look. When you finally realize that everything you own is God's anyhow, and that tithing is recognizing that fact, tithing is going to start looking a lot more important. All God has asked for is 10%. I think God deserves that considering He is not required to give us anything. It is a good thing God didnt put His needs first when it came to Calvary.

Put it in this perspective. Which comes first, electric bill or what is rightfully God's? When you put the Lord first, you will NEVER EVER EVER go wrong and you can count on that. I would stake my very life on that!! God blesses those who keep Him first. The principle of keeping God first is all throughout the scripture. Case and point Matthew 6:33.

(Matthew 6:33 KJV) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Seek God first and put His things first, and God will add what you need to you. It reminds me of that scripture, Psalms 37:25.

(Psalm 37:25 KJV) I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

1 Kings 17 is an awesome example. The woman gave Elijah her last food and probably expected to die. But she put God first and because of that God blessed her and provided for her all through out that 3 and 1/2 years of no rain and provided for her and her son to live..........all because she put God first. She didnt know God was going to bless her when she gave Elijah the cake. Like I said, she probably resigned herself to die, but you need to get it through your head (not saying this in a mean manner btw), you can NEVER outgive the Lord. The Lord wont allow it.

(Malachi 3:10 KJV) Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

That looks like God is challenging us to try Him out. I am living proof. I dont give just to recieve, but there was once I did. I am NOT saying this to make myself look good, I just want to make my point. I challenged the Lord, not in a bad way, but just to try and prove Him. I had read Malachi 3:10 and decided to take that verse to heart and put it into practice. I started paying 25% of my paycheck instead of 10% in my tithes. And you know what? I couldnt afford that. I have bills. The first month, I was really wondering where and how I was gonna pay my bills. It was getting scary. I thought I was gonna lose my car, phone, insurance, etc, etc. I was really worried.

But wouldnt you know, that month, my grandparents just "felt" to send me a paycheck unannounced. Then I got a tax refund I wasnt expecting. Then I got a raise in pay. And that was just financially. God began blessing me in other ways. God gave me a fresh dose of the Holy Ghost. My prayer life blossomed like a flower. Bible reading once again became exciting. God actually spoke to me in His word. I remember praying about a need I had one day and that night when I read my bible, the first verse my eyes fell on was the answer I had been needing. Ever since then, I have continued paying 25% of my paycheck and God hasnt let me down once!!! Like I said, I do not give just to recieve it back, I love giving God what is His. I just continue this, because I love watching God continue to fulfill His promise. God is GOOD!!!

I will reiterate! YOU CAN NEVER OUTGIVE THE LORD NOR WILL YOU EVER GO WRONG PUTTING THE LORD FIRST!!!!!
Praise the Lord!

Such a good teaching - good word!

God bless.
Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
This is something that I was thinking about the other day. On AFF, we talk about not tithing if that is sin or not. There is a lot of talk on her whether tithe is a 'candy stick' that preachers use inorder to line their own pockets or carpet their houses. The thought I was pondering the other day is this-would God rather you not pay your debts (bad stewardship) so you can make your tithe payment?

I know that God wants us to be good stewards with our time and money. Often times nowadays with the housing issues, credit crunches, high energy costs and job cuts it becomes very, very tough. I have not experienced this issues a whole lot in my life. But I wonder what God would rather have from us the tithe or us to pay our debt?

What do you think?
I believe that tithing is a personal choice. Every person is to give as they have determined in their heart. If one finds themselves in a tight situation that they had no control over they need to pray and find God's will for them and what God desires that they give until they get back to stability where they can give what they previously gave. I attended an ultra conservative church at one time and there was a period when things rose above our ability and the Pastor essentially turned around and gave us our tithe back to help us.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what institution (or cause) are you giving to? I only ask because I feel I have an obligation to give where the need is.
I give to the church where God put me. Your first priority is to your church. Organizations are extra, Tithing is not......
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldpaths View Post
Praise the Lord!

Such a good teaching - good word!

God bless.
Thanks. I appreciate that. God is good isnt He?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
I give to the church where God put me. Your first priority is to your church. Organizations are extra, Tithing is not......
I understand what you are saying though it is a bit confusing.

I think you are in fact giving to an organization... or do you actually mean you are giving this $$ to the needy orphans and widows you worship with?

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I understand what you are saying though it is a bit confusing.

I think you are in fact giving to an organization... or do you actually mean you are giving this $$ to the needy orphans and widows you worship with?
Tithing is given to run the church. Pay the bills, pay the pastor, pay for improvements, put into the building fund, etc. That is your reasonable service. Giving to widows does not replace your tithes. That is on top of your tithes. I mean organizations like you were talking. Charitable works, etc.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Tithing is given to run the church. Pay the bills, pay the pastor, pay for improvements, put into the building fund, etc. That is your reasonable service. Giving to widows does not replace your tithes. That is on top of your tithes. I mean organizations like you were talking. Charitable works, etc.
How do you arrive at these intended usages of the funds?

Would it not stand to reason that we accept not only the Old Testament commands to tithe, but also the accompaying definitions for it's purpose and usage?

Really, I am just asking... not wanting to debate.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate that. God is good isnt He?
Yes He is.
Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls...
Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

One should support their home church with their finances,and pay their bills as well.
I have made some money mistakes in times past,one must be careful about getting into too much debt.
If one sows sparingly,then one will reap sparingly,if one sows bountifully,then one will reap bountifully.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
How do you arrive at these intended usages of the funds?

Would it not stand to reason that we accept not only the Old Testament commands to tithe, but also the accompaying definitions for it's purpose and usage?

Really, I am just asking... not wanting to debate.
I know your just asking. Buut I guess I dont understand what you mean in your second sentence. What do you mean?