Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
casual, church, cuff links, dress, gold, jcm, jeans, preacher, standards, suit, unhappy, white shirt, work

Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
the same pride that parks a new car in the front hides a beat up junker in the back
Was that you parking next to me around back?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

LOL, i had a 92 lincoln town car that had a huge crease down the side and had 475,000 miles when i sold it 3 months ago for 500.00. I felt guilty selling it for that much. Had it for 9 years.
Would have parked it beside you but it was too far to carry my equipment in to the church so i was stuck up front.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

If there was a dress code in the New Testament Church I would follow it. We are given some principles.

Modesty being the key. Most people think of how much they should cover as modesty. That is true but it also includes the idea of wearing expensive clothes.

If a poor man comes to Church in vile raiment he is to be treated with exactly the same honor as those wearing suits and ties. It is relatively certain that Paul was not wearing the sharp, professional look people like nowadays.

10: We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
11: Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace; 1 Cor. 4:10-11

Not very dignified right?

Would he be able to preach in places that prefer the Wall Street look?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Christmas 2009

I haven't read this thread yet, but I think it's ridiculous to say that a pastor has to wear a suit. Where is scripture for that?

Sometimes Eddie wears a suit, but the vast majority of the time he doesn't. The people (sinners) who come in say that they can relate to him and listen to him because he doesn't "look" preacher-ish. He comes across very real and open and honest. People are hungry for Jesus, but they are turned off by church. Although I love to see him in a suit, I have to remember that it's not about me.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Who cares? I mean really. The ones who wear suits do and the ones who don't wear suits don't. Why is it anyone else's business? Why do you care what another minister wears. The spirit of this thread is divisive in and of itself.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 AM
BANNED MYSELF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I haven't read this thread yet, but I think it's ridiculous to say that a pastor has to wear a suit. Where is scripture for that?

Sometimes Eddie wears a suit, but the vast majority of the time he doesn't. The people (sinners) who come in say that they can relate to him and listen to him because he doesn't "look" preacher-ish. He comes across very real and open and honest. People are hungry for Jesus, but they are turned off by church. Although I love to see him in a suit, I have to remember that it's not about me.
I agree with you. To those who want to wear suits that is fine but I don't think God cares if a preacher or a person in the pew wears a suit to church. Why should we make such an issue over it? Some do it to the point of disfellowshipping folks. Unreal.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
If there was a dress code in the New Testament Church I would follow it. We are given some principles.

Modesty being the key. Most people think of how much they should cover as modesty. That is true but it also includes the idea of wearing expensive clothes.

If a poor man comes to Church in vile raiment he is to be treated with exactly the same honor as those wearing suits and ties. It is relatively certain that Paul was not wearing the sharp, professional look people like nowadays.

10: We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
11: Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace; 1 Cor. 4:10-11

Not very dignified right?

Would he be able to preach in places that prefer the Wall Street look?
Good points:

Quote:
James 2:1-9 KJV My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. (2) For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; (3) And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: (4) Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts? (5) Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? (6) But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats? (7) Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called? (8) If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: (9) But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
The problem comes from circles where dress standards are stressed more than most other things, or just as equal as the othe most stressed issues. Suddenly anything to do with clothing becomes a huge issue. Funny, really.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 01-19-2008, 10:52 AM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post

BAM!!!!!!!! DING DING DING, we have a winner, thanks for this post!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 AM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

People are so turned off by church now, its time to forget about ourselves, how good we look or perform, and show them JESUUUUUS!!!! *BTW, this will usually occur OUTSIDE of your church building*
Old 01-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Have I said you were a "Liberal?"

What I have said (without knowing anything how you dress) is that "casual attire" can cause there to be "casual attitude" toward the things of God!
How is that? How does dressing casually make or cause people to have a casual attitude at all? Let alone towards God? That seems a very subjective statement.

Unfortunatelya LOT of what is taught or believed in Pentecost has little to no foundational basis.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.