Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

Re: History of Tithes in the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Brother,
How is posting their own articles of faith regarding tithing mudslinging?I just copied and pasted. Their policy for their membership should not be mudslinging either if it is true.
If you have copied and pasted from their articles of faith then there is nothing needed to be verified. I have been on this forum for a while and I have seen how this goes. I admit there are problems in the UPCI just like any man made organization. My children where recently blessed to be a part of youth camps in our state and I can see a lot of good it has done for me personally. If you want to keep the discussion going about what I personally believe about tithing then I will oblige.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:28 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
If you have copied and pasted from their articles of faith then there is nothing needed to be verified. I have been on this forum for a while and I have seen how this goes. I admit there are problems in the UPCI just like any man made organization. My children where recently blessed to be a part of youth camps in our state and I can see a lot of good it has done for me personally. If you want to keep the discussion going about what I personally believe about tithing then I will oblige.

Bible quizzing is also a fantastic activity for our youth.

Last edited by Amanah; 07-26-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure. Comment or not about your personal beliefs about tithes. Everyone is able to do so. But to think that the UPCI policy on tithes is off limits for exploring and discussing is not logical. This is their beliefs. If you correctly state my beliefs as I have stated them, I would be foolish to call that mud slinging. They should be happy when their beliefs are shared. Don’t you think?

I just stated their beliefs in their own words. It’s not a big secret. I pointed out what is an obvious fallacy to me. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings but I’m a bit puzzled as to what the problem really is here.

Should we also not discuss WPF or ALJC and their history of tithing?

With all due respect, read the thread title.

As for your opinion, I am interested and I appreciate you sharing. But it’s about the history of tithes in the church. And for the last seventy five years the UPCI is part of that history.

Unless you believe that they are not part of the church?

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 07-26-2022 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure. Comment or not about your personal beliefs about tithes. Everyone is able to do so. But to think that the UPCI policy on tithes is off limits for exploring and discussing is not logical. This is their beliefs. If you correctly state my beliefs as I have stated them, I would be foolish to call that mud slinging. They should be happy when their beliefs are shared. Don’t you think?

I just stated their beliefs in their own words. It’s not a big secret. I pointed out what is an obvious fallacy to me. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings but I’m a bit puzzled as to what the problem really is here.

Should we also not discuss WPF or ALJC and their history of tithing?

With all due respect, read the thread title.

As for your opinion, I am interested and I appreciate you sharing. But it’s about the history of tithes in the church. And for the last seventy five years the UPCI is part of that history.

Unless you believe that they are not part of the church?

As I have said it has been a good pattern to support church ministries. I didn’t say that the UPCI is off limits for you to discuss, but only I am not going to discuss. I have been very forthcoming with my views and even the practices of my local church. You have already posted the articles of faith, so it is established that the UPCI advocates tithing in a stricter sense which I do not pass down to my local church. I disagree with that, and I am not ashamed to say it. I am not yet convinced it is something I want to break fellowship over it though.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
As I have said it has been a good pattern to support church ministries. I didn’t say that the UPCI is off limits for you to discuss, but only I am not going to discuss. I have been very forthcoming with my views and even the practices of my local church. You have already posted the articles of faith, so it is established that the UPCI advocates tithing in a stricter sense which I do not pass down to my local church. I disagree with that, and I am not ashamed to say it. I am not yet convinced it is something I want to break fellowship over it though.
I’m not suggesting that you break fellowship. What I would like to see is pastors and other leadership that would work to correct it. I’m not advising you to do so either. That would be up to you, obviously.

I do beg to differ with you on the good pattern to support ministries of the church. A GOOD pattern would be one that is scriptural. When we decide to adapt scripture to fit our habits and vision, even though in some cases it may be with good intentions, we have willingly stepped on to a slippery slope. It’s not going to end well (in my humble opinion). And my humility is legendary.

I think this is working from your perspective. I know it’s not working from other perspectives. I may share a story later about that.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

The weirdest excuse I've seen is "tithing is also a way to prevent the saints from taking advantage of the pastor". That's a very hilariously twisted idea.

I have personally started two congregations, taught/preached a lot from pulpit and in Bible Studies, mentored, made decisions, sang, played, led, organized, trained, traveled to train others... and I have never received a dime from tithing in my entire over two decades of service! Only voluntary offering! Seriously. Never felt saints taking advantage of me. In fact, the immense majority of the work done in activities like quizzing, camps, children's ministries, conferences, visiting, meals to sick people, etc... is done by unpaid saints!

Last edited by coksiw; 07-26-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
The weirdest excuse I've seen is "tithing is also a way to prevent the saints from taking advantage of the pastor". That's a very hilariously twisted idea.

I have personally started two congregations, taught/preached a lot from pulpit and in Bible Studies, mentored, made decisions, sang, played, led, organized, trained, traveled to train others... and I have never received a dime from tithing in my entire over two decades of service! Only voluntary offering! Seriously. Never felt saints taking advantage of me. In fact, the immense majority of the work done in activities like quizzing, camps, children's ministries, conferences, visiting, meals to sick people, etc... is done by unpaid saints!
Amen to that brother. And they are happy to do the Lord’s work.

Just to make Good Samaritan feel better, I’m posting the tithe doctrine of the ALJC. I don’t want him to think I’m picking on UPCI.

ALJC Articles of Faith

TITHING
We believe tithing is God’s financial plan to provide for His work, and has been since the days of Abraham. Tithing came with faith under Abraham, Moses’ law enjoined it, Israel practiced it when she was right with God, Jesus endorsed it (Matthew 23:23), and Paul said to lay by in store as God has prospered you. Do not rob God of His portion, that is tithes and offerings (Read Malachi 3).

IT looks surprisingly similar to the doctrine of the UPCI. But it’s different.

Can you see the difference?
Old 07-26-2022, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think this is working from your perspective. I know it’s not working from other perspectives. I may share a story later about that.
Can't wait to hear your story
Old 07-26-2022, 07:58 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Amen to that brother. And they are happy to do the Lord’s work.

Just to make Good Samaritan feel better, I’m posting the tithe doctrine of the ALJC. I don’t want him to think I’m picking on UPCI.

ALJC Articles of Faith

TITHING
We believe tithing is God’s financial plan to provide for His work, and has been since the days of Abraham. Tithing came with faith under Abraham, Moses’ law enjoined it, Israel practiced it when she was right with God, Jesus endorsed it (Matthew 23:23), and Paul said to lay by in store as God has prospered you. Do not rob God of His portion, that is tithes and offerings (Read Malachi 3).

IT looks surprisingly similar to the doctrine of the UPCI. But it’s different.

Can you see the difference?
One says "indorsed", the other says "endorsed", and one gives a chapter/verse reference to Malachi and the other does not, and one uses "viz." and the other uses "that is".

How many cookies do I get?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-26-2022, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
One says "indorsed", the other says "endorsed", and one gives a chapter/verse reference to Malachi and the other does not, and one uses "viz." and the other uses "that is".

How many cookies do I get?
Man you’re good!

This reminds me of the pictures that appear to be just alike, but they have insignificant differences. They appear identical but they really aren’t. “

Can you spot the five differences in these pictures?”

Tell you’re granddaughter that I said to bake you some oatmeal pecan cookies.

I’ve tried to find the tithe doctrine of the WPF, but I haven’t been able to. If memory serves, it is the same way. It’s like take this tithe from their Articles of Faith and we’ll use it. Be sure and change something so we don’t get accused of plagiarism.

I’m pretty sure the ALJC and the WPF copied off of UPCI. But that’s okay because UPCI copied off of the AOG.

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 07-26-2022 at 09:57 PM.