Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-17-2022, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Re: Sabbath and bible feasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
You realize that he had just came out of an intense period of mourning right?
No, I didn't know that. I just watched multiple videos from different preachings in their channel. So, not sure all the ones I watched were from the days after the mourning.

Quote:
Are you saying the preacher was unwashed wearing the same clothes as the day before?
No, I didn't even notice it was the same clothing as the day before. I'm a man

Last edited by coksiw; 10-17-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:50 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
No, I didn't know that. I just watched multiple videos from different preachings in their channel. So, not sure all the ones I watched were from the days after the mourning.

I meant the verse you posted referring to Davids mourning after the loss of Bathshebas child.

Of course he changed and washed...he had been in intense repentence and mourning. Its a description but its not a prescription for doctrinal behavior.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:53 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:

I meant the verse you posted referring to Davids mourning after the loss of Bathshebas child.

Of course he changed and washed...he had been in intense repentence and mourning. Its a description but its not a prescription for doctrinal behavior and maybe something that would be a little harsh to judge someone over.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:05 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

I saw two videos, a month apart, he had the same shirt. Obviously heretical. Right?

Seriously though, I can't find a command in Scripture that directs us to dress a certain way for church, beyond modesty issues. I do however see this:

James 2:1-4 KJV
My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. [2] For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; [3] And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: [4] Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-17-2022, 01:27 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I saw two videos, a month apart, he had the same shirt. Obviously heretical. Right?

Seriously though, I can't find a command in Scripture that directs us to dress a certain way for church, beyond modesty issues. I do however see this:

My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. [2] For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; [3] And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: [4] Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

I just got on lunch and was about to post the exact same scripture!!!!
Old 10-17-2022, 01:48 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
I just got on lunch and was about to post the exact same scripture!!!!
Great minds
Old 10-17-2022, 02:11 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Great minds

Dont insult Esias like that. 🤣
Old 10-17-2022, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Of course he changed and washed...he had been in intense repentence and mourning. Its a description but its not a prescription for doctrinal behavior.
It is not a prescription, but a good example. It is being dressed for the occasion, which is corporate worship in a holy convocation. Being dressed for the occasion is a human thing, that shows your attitude. It is common sense, but I'm going to post a Bible verse of that common human expectation because some can't reason unless there is a Bible verse:
Mat 22:11-12 NKJV - (11) "But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. (12) "So he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

That verse is obviously a situation of wealth, not of honoring or respect to the event happening. I don't think dressing formally, according to the culture, is a wealth issue. Even in very poor countries, even the one I came front, long sleeve shirts and dress pants were available, and people had the mercy to sometimes give it away to those that couldn't even afford that and wanted to come formally presentable to the convocation.

The other aspect of this is mercy. Mercy on new converts, mercy on visitors, and mercy on the poor. Mercy triumphs over all that clothing stuff, but I don't think this is a mercy issue the one we are talking about.

Last edited by coksiw; 10-17-2022 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:42 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
That verse is obviously a situation of wealth, not of honoring or respect to the event happening. I don't think dressing formally, according to the culture, is a wealth issue. Even in very poor countries, even the one I came front, long sleeve shirts and dress pants were available, and people had the mercy to sometimes give it away to those that couldn't even afford that and wanted to come formally presentable to the convocation.

The other aspect of this is mercy. Mercy on new converts, mercy on visitors, and mercy on the poor. Mercy triumphs over all that clothing stuff, but I don't think this is a mercy issue the one we are talking about.

If you look through religious history you will find that styles have ebbed and flowed over the years. At one point if you "dressed up" they would have kicked you out if you were roo "fancy".

Ive found that the origins of "dressing up" was more about making people comfortable with wealth desparity in a congregation by getting everyone to dress the same.