Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-26-2020, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

Frank Denny was a missionary to China around 1910. His wife, Clara died there. In 1913, he was at the Arroyo Seco campmeeting of 1913. He remarried a girl from New Jersey.

He is last seen at the Open Door Mission in Phoenix in 1927.

He was born in Pittsburg in 1870, but I do not know where and when he died.

Frank Denny, where are you ???
Old 12-26-2020, 11:36 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Frank Denny was a missionary to China around 1910. His wife, Clara died there. In 1913, he was at the Arroyo Seco campmeeting of 1913. He remarried a girl from New Jersey.

On the shelf next to Hillary's emails?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-30-2020, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post

I did a little digging on Frank Denny and found a passport application from Hong Kong dated October 6th, 1914. The first part of it reads as follows:

"I, Frank Denney, a native and loyal citizen of the United States, hereby apply to the Consul of the United States at Hong Kong for a passport for myself, accompanied by my wife Clara Denney, and minor children as follows: Clara Vida Denney, born at New Jersey on the 22nd Day of September 1904.

I solemnly swear I was born at Philadelphia in the State of Pennsylvania on or about the 20th Day of October 1862, that my father is a native citizen of the United States; that I am domiciled in the United States, my permanent residence being at 227 Maine St. Los Angeles, in the State of California, where I follow the occupation of missionary, that I left the United States on the 6th Day of October 1914, and am now temporarily sojourning in Hong Kong."

I was interested to read the following vital statistics on the man:

Stature: 5 ft, 7 inches
Forehead: Medium
Eyes: Grey
Nose: Broad
Mouth: Straight
Chin: Round
Hair: Brown with Grey
Complexion: Fair
Face: Square

I think the passport birthdate (October 20th, 1862) is probably his true birthday. Maybe you've seen this already. If not, maybe it will help you find him. Interesting that he actually swore (and did not affirm) that he was born in Philadelphia and not in Pittsburg.

Perhaps knowing his daughter's actual birthday will be a clue in finding her. Wherever she went, he might have eventually followed.

Also note the passport spelling of his surname and that his wife Clara seems to be still living a year after Arroyo Seco.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by derAlte; 12-30-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the data. I cannot find a picture of him, other than the one I have from his time at Arroyo Seco in 1914.

The last stop he made is in Phoenix in 1927. I cannot find his obit. I wonder if he passed overseas in China ??
Old 01-01-2021, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the data. I cannot find a picture of him, other than the one I have from his time at Arroyo Seco in 1914.

The last stop he made is in Phoenix in 1927. I cannot find his obit. I wonder if he passed overseas in China ??
Old 01-10-2021, 05:06 AM
Registered Member

William Frank Denny was born in Philadelphia, Penn. in 1972

1903 Frank Denny and Clara Douglas tie the knot in Penn. They live in New Jersey.

1904 Clara Vida Denny is born in Philly.

1909 Frank Denny is an evangelist in Alabama

1910 Frank Denny pastor of the Atlanta Mission, in Atlanta, Georgia.

1910 Frank Denny, Blanche Appleby and JJ King feel the call to be missionaries to China.

1910 Deputation brings them to Toronto, Canada for a missions conference. From there, they make their way to the west coast. They drop off their daughter at a boarding school in Ontario.

12/10/1910 departure date for passage to China from Oakland. Denny visits the Pentecostal Mission in Chinatown, Oakland where R.G. Hammond is filling in for Rev. Moore.

1/3/1911 Arrival in Hong Kong. They work and live with other missionaries. They admit to having problems learning the language. They stay for one year.

1/25/1912 Frank and Clara arrive in San Francisco.

1913 Frank Denny is at Arroyo Seco Worldwide Camp Meeting.

12/4/1914 Frank and Clara Denny are in Hong Kong.

10/13/1915 Clara Denny and Vida Denny become sick. Clara dies of undisclosed illness.

3/1/1916 Frank and Vida arrive in San Francisco.

1923 Frank Denny is remarried and living in New Jersey. He hits the road to return to China. They find him in Ontario, Canada, visiting his daughter.

1927 Frank Denny preaches at Open Door Mission in Phoenix.

That is where the trail goes cold.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:06 AM
Registered Member

William Frank Denny was born in Philadelphia, Penn. in 1972

1903 Frank Denny and Clara Douglas tie the knot in Penn. They live in New Jersey.

1904 Clara Vida Denny is born in Philly.

1909 Frank Denny is an evangelist in Alabama

1910 Frank Denny pastor of the Atlanta Mission, in Atlanta, Georgia.

1910 Frank Denny, Blanche Appleby and JJ King feel the call to be missionaries to China.

1910 Deputation brings them to Toronto, Canada for a missions conference. From there, they make their way to the west coast. They drop off their daughter at a boarding school in Ontario.

12/10/1910 departure date for passage to China from Oakland. Denny visits the Pentecostal Mission in Chinatown, Oakland where R.G. Hammond is filling in for Rev. Moore.

1/3/1911 Arrival in Hong Kong. They work and live with other missionaries. They admit to having problems learning the language. They stay for one year.

1/25/1912 Frank and Clara arrive in San Francisco.

1913 Frank Denny is at Arroyo Seco Worldwide Camp Meeting.

12/4/1914 Frank and Clara Denny are in Hong Kong.

10/13/1915 Clara Denny and Vida Denny become sick. Clara dies of undisclosed illness.

3/1/1916 Frank and Vida arrive in San Francisco.

1923 Frank Denny is remarried and living in New Jersey. He hits the road to return to China. They find him in Ontario, Canada, visiting his daughter.

1927 Frank Denny preaches at Open Door Mission in Phoenix.

That is where the trail goes cold.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

A new old book came in the post today.

20th Century Pentecostals by Fred Foster.

No mention of Harry Morse or the spread of Pentecostalism in California.

The book is a broad survey of the start of Pentecostalism in the United States and the events that led to the formation of the UPC.

I was hoping for more detail.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Wilner Levoy Stallones
DOB 3/9/1895 Arkansas
DOD 12/16/1939 Exeter, Ca.
8/1915 (Word and Witness) Texas. I came here a month ago and started meetings. One
received the Holy Ghost and one was reclaimed. Afterwards, Bro. A. H. Stanley dropped in and
God wonderfully blessed Bro. Stanley in giving out the word. The saints are encouraged very
much. Pray for this little band and for me.
1915 When Howard A. Goss preached in Wichita Falls in March, 1915 a young teen-ager,
Jet Wilson, was filled with the Holy Spirit. Later she married Evangelist W. L. Stallones.
6/1/1917 (WW1 draft card) evangelist, single, 22, and living in Arkansas.
1/1918 Marries Jet Witherspoon in Fort Worth, Texas
1918 draft card lists him as an evangelist
1/20/1919 Evelyn Eloise Stallones (1919-2001) born in Essex, Missouri.
1920 US census has him living in Scott County, Missouri.
8/3/1917 (Monett Times, Mo., p. 11) A big tent meeting conducted by. "Mother" Barnes of
St. Louis and W. L. Stallones of Hot Springs, Ark., assisted by other workers,, will- open
July 31st Tuesday night. Tent will be on Central avenue and West Broadway. Everyone
invited to attend these meetings and enjoy the blessing of God. Let us join our forces
together against the common enemy, the devil. Come one and all.
1/22/1921 (Little Rock Daily News, p. 3) Stallones is choir director (and a pastor) at a union
revival conducted by Jimmy Delk.
6/7/1921 (Arkansas Democrat, Little Rock, p.2) W. L. Stallones asked permission to use the
grove In West End park for the purpose of holding revival services. It was denied.
10/10/1923 birth of son, Ruel Arthur Stallones(1923-1986) in Arkansas.
6/16/1925 (Twin Falls Daily Times, p. 6) Baptism and Sermon on Rain at Church of Holy
Ghost. Here Last Sunday witnessed a goodly number gathered by the bank of the
stream running in the Perrine coulee, east of Twin Falls on Elizabeth boulevard. Rev.
Fitzgerald administered baptism, "in the name of Jesus" to six persons. Many departed
praising the Lord, "now is the day of Salvation," "Seek ye the Lord while he is nigh."
Speaks on Rain. The theme rain being inspired from heaven and delivered by
Evangelist Stallones at the Pentecostal mission Sunday evening, was wonderfully
revealed, being taken from "The Book of Books," the Bible. A complete unity reigned
throughout the entire hall and eager hearers outside the door. Showers from heaven fell
upon the audience as the message was interpreted. Twelve responded to the invitation
and many went home rejoicing saying, "It is good to be there," One of the most glorious
meetings ever conducted now in progress at the Bistree building. Come with others
each night. Contributed.
2/26/1926 (Idaho Evening Times, p. 2) GLAD TIDINGS MISSION 138 2nd Street Sunday
school, 10 a. in. Preaching service at 11 a. 111. In the afternoon at 2:30 Missionary
Grimes will again tell of his experiences as missionary to Africa. It is interesting.
Evening service at 7:30. Subject., "The' Second Coming of .Christ." Sunday will be
Brother Grimes’s last day with us, and W. L. Stallones of Arkansas will carry on the
special meeting which will continue every night next week. Brother Stallones is a good
preacher.
3/11/1926 (Burley Herald, Idaho, p. 2) Stallones at Pent. Mission in Paul. pastor is Arthur Libby.
1/13/1927 IIdaho Evening Times, p. 3) The members of the Full Gospel Church of Twin
-Falls are hereby notified that a meeting of its members will be held at its meeting place
of worship, 220 Main street north, Twin Falls, Idaho; on the 24th day of January next, at
-7:30 p. m. for the purpose of incorporating Bald Church into a religious body corporate.
This notice is pursuant to a resolution passed by its members in a meeting held Jan.
3rd, 1927. -(Signed) -' W. L. STALLONES, - . ' Chairman. " WALTER L. ROBERTS, Sec
3/13/1927 (Stockton Independent, p. 7) LODI. March 12. Funeral services were held this
afternoon at 2 oclock at the Bethel Tabernacle for Autis Dale Stallones, infant daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Stallones. Rev. Harry R. R. Neat of the Bethel Tabernacle
conducted the services, while Hale and Bawden were in charge of arrangements.
Interment was made in the Lodi cemetery. The little girl succumbed to an attack of
pneumonia after a short illness. A sister, Elolee, and a brother, Reuel, with the parents
mourn the loss of the baby.
7/3/1927 (OkTr. .p.9) Stallones at Oakland for 2 week revival 7/3/7/17. Stallones is from Little
Rock, Arkansas.
7/9/1927 (Oakland Tribune, p. 6) The special revival campaign at the Big Downtown
Mission, corner Ninth. and Broadway will continue every night throughout this coming
week and on ounuay at a p. m. Evangelists W. L. Stallones and Jt Stallones formerly of
Little Rock, Arkansas, are the special attractions. Their messages are being received in
a special way by large audiences each night. This campaign will merge Into a workers
convention for ministers and mission workers throughout the state on the four closing
days, viz: Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this coming week. All services are
open to the public Harry Morse, pastor.
12/2/1927 (LA Times.p.6) VISALIA, Dec. 2. Day and evening sessions are being held at
the Pentecostal Church here lor a conclave of the Pentacostal assembly of the State.
Ministers and mission workers are In attendance from all sections of California.
Speakers Include Evangelist Glenn A. Cook, Pastor Harry Morse of Oakland, and
Pastor W. L. Stallones of Baldwin Park. Pastor J. A. Johnson of the local church Is in
charge.
6/10/1928 son, Newell Arien Stallones ( 1928-2913) born in Baldwin Park, Ca.
9/1/1928 (Bend Bulletin.p.3) Stallones(of Baldwin Park) at Pent. Mission. Marling. “A
wholesome Gospel for the whole man. Messages that thrill with hope and ardor. Music that
charms. Meetings every night. If you come you will not regret the effort.”
2/9/1929 (Daily Capital Journal.p.4) evangelist Stallones from Arkansas is here for a 2 week
revival. JM Smith, pastor. 680 South 12th street. Emmanuel Full Gospel Mission.
5/31/1929 (Statesman Journal.p.7) Stallones pastoring in Salem Oregon. Emmanuel Full
Gospel Mission. 420 State street. Hurt evangelistic party.
1930 US census. Stallones lives in Benton City, Arkansas
1931 (city dir.) Stallones live in Little Rock, Arkansas
8/8/1931 (Bangor Daily News, Maine, p. 5) Pentecostal Gospel Mission— Special Gospel
Services are being conducted at the Pentecoactal Gospel Mission 40 Central street
Bangor with Bro W L Stallones pastor of a Pentecostal Assembly of Montreal as the
Evangelist. Brother Stallones has had a wide experience in his seventeen years as a
Pentecostal minister, having preached the Gospel ln the four corner of the United
States and part of Canada as an Evangelist and pastor and comes to us with the
Gospel message of God's Word preached under the anointing and power of the Holy
Ghost. Don't miss hearing him. Nightly meeting at 730 and on Sunday Aug 9th and
16th there will be all-day meetings at 1030 a m 230 and 7 3O p m. Come spend the
day. Bring your lunch. Good music and special singing. John H Dearlng pastor
12/10/1931 Comanche Reflex, Comanche, Ok., p. 1) Stallones is from New Brunswick, Canada.
9/15/1932 (Bangor Daily News, Maine, p. 5) W.L. Stallones and family have arrived from Easton
to take charge of the Gospel Mission, 40 Central street, during Mr. Deerings absence.
1933-1934 (city dir.) Stallones in Bangor, Maine. Pent. Gospel Mission.
1/6/1933 (Bangor Daily News, Maine, p. 5) The Pentecostal People in Howland will start
special meetings Sunday Evangelist W L Stallones from the west will be here Meetings
every night at 730 Harvey M Howe pastor.
11/1/1933 (Bangor Daily News, Bangor, Maine, p. 8) MARS HILL— The Pentecostal
Convention of the Full Gospel Assemblies of New England and New Brunswick-which
was held at the Full Gospel Assembly here closed Sunday with packed audiences at
both the Pentecostal and the Methodist churches The attendance at the evening
services at both churches was estimated at 1000 persons ' Evangelist Kathleen Fischer
of Washington D C preached in the Methodist church while Rev C A Gibson principal of
“The School of the Prophets" Of East Providence R I preached to the Pentecostal
church Evangelist W L Stallones of Bangor preached Sunday morning Meals were
served throughout ths convention on the Free-Will offering plan and the entire expense
of the convention was met to this manner Missionary offerings -were taken to send one
missionary to labor-to South America and another from Africa' to return to U 8 on
furlough after Spending seven years of active successful serried there A big feature of
the convention was the donation by' Aroostook farmers of a carload of potatoes
vegetables and other produce 'to the Faith Home And Bible School of East Providence
R I Aroostook county Is sending seven young people to the Bible school to addition to
the students who are returning for their second year.
2/13/1934 (Bangor Daily News, Maine, p. 23) Stallones does a funeral in Bangor.
9/7/1935 (Visalia Times Delta, p. 3) A series of tent meetings are being presented nightly
at Northwest Fourth and Houston avenues. Services are held each evening at 7:30
o'clock with the exception of Saturday nights 'with Evangelist W. L. Stallones of Baldwin
Park as the speaker. Musical numbers are Included on each of the programs, which are
directed by Rev. T. L. Guy. Evangelist Stallones has conducted meetings throughout
the United States and Canada.
9/21/1935 (Visalia Times Delta, p. 5) Stallones at First Pent. pastor is T.L. Guy.
5/8/1936 (San Bern. County Sun.p.21) Stallones is pastor at Baldwin Park.
10/2/1936 (Jackson Sun, Jackson Tenn., p. 10) Pent. Ch. of God, George R. Farrow is pastor.
Stallones is speaker. Revival runs from 9/18-10/16. Stallones is from Dallas, TX.
6/14/1937 (Visalia Times Delta, p. 1) Stallones does funeral in Exeter.
9/18/1937 (Visalia Times Delta, p. 5) Stallones does funeral at Exeter.
6/18/1938 (Twin Falls News, ID, p. 8) Stallones of Exeter at E. Rohn.
4/3/1941 (Visalia Times-Delta, p. 2) Jet Stallones performs wedding.
9/18/1945 (Times-News, Twin Falls, ID, p. 10) Marriage Vows Solemnized for Mrs. J.
Stallones Marriage vows were exchanged by Mrs. Jet Stallones, former pastor of the
Pentecostal church of Twin Falls, and the Rev. W. T. Witherspoon, Columbus, O., at 8
p. m. Wednesday, Sept. 26, in the Kiel auditorium, St. Louis, Mo. The Rev. Howard A.
Goss, St. Louis, officiated at the service which was witnessed by friends who had
gathered for the last night of the annual conference of the United Pentecostal church.
The Rev. Charlie Yadon, Twin Falls, sang "Because" accompanied by Mrs. C. D. Soper,
Tupelo, Miss., and the Rev. and Mrs. C. D. Soper played numbers on the marimba and
vlbra-harp. For her wedding the bride chose a powder blue suit and hat accented by
black accessories. White orchids composed her corsage. Elolse Stallones, St. Louis,
Mo., daughter of the bride, was maid of honor. She wore a fuchsia suit with black
accessories. Her corsage was of asters and roses. Mrs. Arthur Witherspoon,
daughter-in-law of the bridegroom, was matron of honor, She resides in Madison, Wise.
Her suit was an aqua shade and she wore black accessories. Roses and white asters
composed her corsage. The Rev. Arthur Witherspoon, son of the bridegroom, was best
man. The Rev. Paul Box, Columbus, O., was an usher. During the ceremony the Rev.
Stanley Hanby led the prayer. On their return from a wedding trip to Madison, Wis., a
reception was held at Columbus, O.
Early Interracial Oneness Pent.p.206, Talmadge French) Stallones pastored in Arkansas,
Old 01-31-2021, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Vernon Theodore Nepstad
DOB 8/29/1914 Kalispeel, Montana.
DOD 7/19/1995 Oakland
4/15/1939 (Oakland Tribune, p. 27) engaged to wed are Vernon Nepstad, 24, of Exeter and
Ethel Gertrude Hogan, 17, of Hayward. They marry on 5/20/1939 but not by Harry Morse.
Looks like W. L. Bonn
10/16/1940 (WW2 draft card) Nepstad lives in Alameda. Works at Safeway foods.
1940 (US census) Nepstad lives in Oakland on 34th ave. Married. He works at a grocery store.
1941(city directory) Nepstad lives in Oakland. He is a clerk.
7/2/1942 (Sacramento Bee, p.13) Vernon Nepstad at wedding shower in Sacramento.
10/8/1942 (Oakdale Leader, p.3) Mr. and Mrs. T. V. Nepstad and daughter Verna Lynn of
Hayward were weekend guests of Mrs. Nepstad's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hogan
have returned from a vacation at New Westminster, British Columbia. They reported
many interesting changes since the war. However, unlike the United States coastal
states many Japanese are seen in the streets entirely at liberty.
12/3/1942 (Oakdale Leader, p.3) Mr. and Mrs. T. V. Nepstad and daughter Verna of
Haywards were holiday guests in the home of Mrs. Nepstad's parents, Mr. and Mrs.
Walter Hogan on Pleasant Valley avenue.
5/20/1943 (Oakdale Leader, p. 6) Mr. and Mrs. T. V. Nepstad and family of Hayward are
moving to the James Mcvay place on Pleasant valley avenue. Mrs. Nepstad is a
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hogan.
8/21/1947 (Capital Journal, Salem, Or, p. 20) Friday evening at 7:30, a youth rally will be
held at the Jesus Name Pentecostal church, 1175 Lewis street. Rev. David Gray, San
Diego, National Youth President of the United Pentecostal Organization of which the
local church is an affiliate, will be present to speak for the local Pentecostal Conqueror's
Youth Service. Accompanying Rev. Gray will be Rev. Vernon Nepstad of Yakima.
Everyone is cordially invited to attend this rally. Rev. R. V. Sittser is pastor of the
church.
10/2/1947 (Sacramento Bee, p. 4) EMMA S NEPSTAD Funeral services will be held at 11
A M tomorrow in the North Sacramento Funeral Home for Mrs Emma S Nepstad 76 a
resident of North Sacramento 25 years who died yesterday in the Arcade Hospital - The
Nepstad family home is at 516 Cantalier Avenue North Sacramento Mrs Nepstad leaves
her husband Nels and seven children The children are Aubrey Nepstad Mrs Blanche
Shirley and Mrs Norma Montgomery all of Sacramento Vernon and Adele Nepstad and
Mrs Lillis Dillard of North Sacramento and Mrs Grace Stoddard of Redding Shasta
County
5/1948 (Pentecostal Northwestern News, p. 2) Nepstead is district young persons leader, living
in Yakima, Washington.
9/28/1950 (Visalia Times Delta, p. 5) New pastor of the First Pentecostal Church in Visalia is the
Rev. Vernon Nepstad.
He follows the Rev. and Mrs. Otis M. Petty to the pulpit of the Visalia church. The Pettys
are making preparations to enter the foreign field as church missionaries to Africa. The
Rev. Mr. Nepstad was formerly pastor of the First Pentacostai Church in Yakima,
Wash., where he served for three years. Prior to his entering the ministry, his ambition
was to crash the opera as a Norwegian tenor. He now holds the position of
secretary-treasurer for the United Pentacostai Church of the western district, which
includes Oregon, California and Nevada. Mrs. Nepstad is also a fine musician and both
extend an invitation to the public to attend the church on NW Fourth st.
4/21/1951 (Visalia Times Delta, p. 10) There is a simple but important purpose to the First
Pentecostal Church at Fourth and Houston ave. It is to help build better men and
women, boys and girls in the city of Visalia to prepare them for the coming of our Lord.
These are the words of the Rev. Vernon Nepstad, the pastor of the church, who says:
By practicing Apostolic doctrine, we get Apostolic results. Here Since 1916 The church
has been in existence in Visalia since 1916 and has always followed this creed. Of more
recent times, the church has carried on a fight against the spread of the Communist
disease. Church work, says the Rev. Mr. Nepstad, is opposite to Communism. He says
the Apostolic message is much easier to talk about than to practice. Apostolic feeling
without Apostolic practice is like a powerful locomotive under a full head of steam, which
never turned a wheel or pulled a train of cars."
The Pentecostal Church believes the message to be preached today is death, burial
and resurrection which Paul spoke about. To implement this message and the work of
the church, Sunday school is held every Sunday from 10 to 11 a. m. and from 1 p. m. to
4 p. m. Born In Montana The Rev. Mr. Nepstad comes well-prepared for his life-work in
Visalia. Born in Montana in 1914, he spent part of his early youth in the Peace River
country of Alberta, Canada, where the now-famous Alcan highway had its beginnings.
During the freezing winter months, the Rev. Mr. Nepstad was an active youth
participating in the youthful sports common to boys of that area.
In the summer, he played baseball and in his spare time, he studied voice with the idea
of someday singing in the Metropolitan Opera House. It was in the spring of 1934, that
the Rev. Mr. Nepstads ideal changed from Richard Crooks, the noted tenor, to the Lord
Jesus Christ.
I have been trying to pattern my life after Christs ever since, he declared. He said that
without Christ and holiness, no man will see God. The Rev. Mr. Nepstad returned to the
United States in 1938 and during his theological school life met and married Miss Ethel
Hogan, whose musical abilities have been a great asset to the Visalia congregation.
2,500 Ministers He says the United Pentecostal Church, with headquarters in St. Louis,
Mo., has a membership of about 2,500 ministers and carries on a missionary program
to all parts of the globe. For three years, before coming to Visalia, Rev. Nepstad was
president of the young peoples activities in the Northwestern District of the church,
which included Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and British Columbia.
At present, the Rev. Mr. Nepstad is secretary-treasurer of the western district of the
church, consisting of the Arizona, Nevada and California areas.
At present, the Rev. Mr. Nepstad is secretary-treasurer of the western district of the
church, consisting of the Arizona, Nevada and California areas. But it is in Visalia that
the Rev. Mr. Nepstad devotes much of his activity. He sponsors Bible study classes
every Tuesday night in which the work and teachings of Christ are explained.
2/28/1965 (Oakland Tribune, p. 98) , The bride's father, the Rev. , Vernon Nepstad,
officiated at rites in the Oakland Victory Temple which united Avonne JaneU Nepstad
and G. Dale Fairchild. Daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. .Nepstad of San Leandro, Avonne
was attended by Dor-etta Herring, Nila ' Nepstad and Verna Nepstad. The bridegroom,
son of the Rev. and Mrs. J. M. Opperman of this city, had Delmer Fairchild as best man
and Ron Harris and Preston Herring as ushers. The bride studied at College of the
Sequoias in Visalia and Chabot College,, and Dale attended Canyonville Bible Academy
in Oregon.
7/14/1952 (Sacramento Bee, p. 17) Nels H Nepstad Services will be held at II AM
tomorrow in the North Sacramento Funeral Home for Nels Henry Nepstad 83 a retired
real estate man who lived in Carmichael the last 32 years- Burial will be in the East
Lawn Cemetery Nepstad died Saturday in the Arcade Hospital He was the father of
Vernon E Nepstad, Adcle Nepstad, Mrs Norma Montgomery, Mrs Blanche Shirley,
Mrs Lyllis Dillard all of Sacramento and Mrs Grace Stoddard of Redding Shasta County
6/2/1953 (Visalia Times Delta, p. 40) Building better men and women, boys and girls in
the city of Visalia to prepare them for the coming of the Lord, is the avowed purpose of
the First Pentecostal Church at Fourth and Houston Avenues. The Rev. Vernon
Nepstad, pastor of the Church in Visalia since 1950, stresses the practice as well as the
preaching of the Apostolic doctrine, declaring that By practicing Apostolic doctrine, we
get Apostolic results. He adds that Apostolic doctrine is much easier to talk about than
to practice. Apostolic feeling with-o u t Apostolic practice is like Rev. Nepstad a powerful
locomotive under a full head of steam, which has never turned a wheel or pulled a train
of cars.
Sunday School is held at the church ever Sunday at 9:45 a. m., followed by a worship
service at 11:00 a m. and an evangelistic service at 7:30 p. m. Bible study classes are
held every Tuesday night and young peoples services every Thursday night. The Rev.
Nepstad was born in Montana in 1914, and spent his early youth in the Peace River
country in Canada. He was active in sports and interested in studying voice with the
idea of some day singing in the Metropolitan Opera House. In the spring of 1934 his
ambition changed from a singing career to one in the ministry. He returned to the United
States in 1938 and during his theological school life met and married Miss Ethel Hogan,
whose musical ability has been a great asset to the Visalia congregation. For three
years before he came to Visalia, the Rev. Mr. Nepstad was president of the young
peoples activities in the Northwestern District of the church, which included Oregon,
Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and British Columbia. At present he is
secretary-treasurer of the western district of the church, consisting of Arizona,
California, and Nevada.
8/12/1953 (Bakersfield Californian, p. 19) FRAZIER PARK—The annual district camp
meeting of the United Pentecpstal Churches closed with some 800 members attending
the Sunday services on conference grounds near Frazier Park. The Rev. Odell Cagle of
Exeter, district superintendent, was in charge of the camp meeting. He was assisted by
the Rev. Vernon Nepstad of Visalia, district secretary. Speakers included the Rev. E. G.
Lowe of Dinuba, the Rev. C. P. Kilgore of Mantcca, the Rev. Sam Klein of Sacramento,
the Rev. Murry L,ayne of Fresno, the Rev. C. J. Haney of Stockton and Rev. Jimmie
Davis of Weed Patch. Although not completed, the new tabernacle recently erected on
the conference grounds was usable for this year's meetings. The building is expected to
be completed by early spring of 1954.
11/10/1962 (Oakland Tribune, p. 9) Singing Nepstads at Revival Center, Opperman is
pastor. Nepstads are still from Visalia.
11/22/1968 Nepstad preaches funeral for Maude Morse in Oakland.
1981 Vernon Nepstad pastors Victory Temple in Oakland. Flower archive has some of
his bulletins from that year.
11/28/2008 DOD Ethel Gertrude Nepstad. Daughter of Walter Franklin Hogan and Pearl
Clara Beasley.
NEPSTAD, Ethel G. She was born on January 30, 1922, in Alameda, Calif., and went home
to meet Jesus and her late husband, Vernon Nepstad, on November 24, 2008, with her
family beside her. Mom will be greatly missed by her four daughters, Verna Nepstad,
Doretta Nugent, Avonne Ruiz, and Nyla Barrett; and her son-in-law Keith Barrett; her
grandchildren Steve Herring, Loren Herring, Chad Fairchild, Casey Fairchild, Shanna
Adams, Brice Ingwaldson, and Zachary Ingwaldson, and her 15 great-grandchildren. She
lived many years in the Bay Area and pastored Victory Temple Church in Oakland with her
husband for 17 years; she later resided in Alameda before moving to Sacramento in 2002.
Viewing will be 4:00 - 8:00 p.m. on November 28, 2008, at REICHERT'S FUNERAL
CHAPEL, 7320 Auburn Blvd., Citrus Heights, Calif., (916) 729-2229. We will celebrate her
home going on Saturday, November 29, 2008, at 2:00 p.m. at the Pleasant Grove
Community Church, 1730 Pleasant Grove, Roseville, Calif., with interment to follow at
Oakland Chapel of the Chimes beside her husband, Vernon Nepstad.