Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-10-2022, 08:17 AM
Not riding the train

Godliness?

I read this quote and wondered if anyone had anything to confirm this definition? I haven’t seen it defined in this way anywhere else. Obviously, I don’t have Schaffs Commentary.

“The Greek word which is translated "godliness" is not the
same word which is usually used to convey the concept of
"godliness." Rather, it is a totally different word with a more far-
reaching definition. According to Philip Schaffs Popular
Commentary on the New Testament, "the word 'godliness'
is taken [to mean] the religion which men profess.?”
Old 01-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Godliness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I read this quote and wondered if anyone had anything to confirm this definition? I haven’t seen it defined in this way anywhere else. Obviously, I don’t have Schaffs Commentary.

STRONGS NT 2150: εὐσέβεια

εὐσέβεια, εὐσεβείας, ἡ (εὐσεβής), reverence, respect; in the Bible everywhere piety toward God, godliness: Acts 3:12; 1 Timothy 2:2; 1 Timothy 4:7, 8; 1 Timothy 6:5f, 11; 2 Timothy 3:5; 2 Peter 1:3, 6f; ἡ κατ' εὐσέβειαν διδασκαλία, the doctrine that promotes godliness, 1 Timothy 6:3 (see κατά, II. 3 d.); ἡ ἀλήθεια ἡ κατ' εὐσέβειαν, the truth that leads to godliness, Titus 1:1; τό μυστήριον τῆς εὐσεβείας, the mystery which is held by godliness and nourishes it, 1 Timothy 3:16; in plural, aims and acts of godliness, 2 Peter 3:11; cf. Pfieiderer, Paulinism., p. 477f (English translation, ii. 209f). (Aeschylus, Sophocles, Xenophon, Plato, and following; often in Josephus; the Sept. Proverbs 1:7; Proverbs 13:11; Isaiah 11:2; Wis. 10:12; often in 4 Macc.; πρός τόν Θεόν, Josephus, Antiquities 18, 5, 2; (περί τό θεῖον) contra Apion 1, 22, 2; εἰς Θεούς καί γονεας, Plato, rep. 10, p. 615 c.) (Cf. Schmidt, chapter 181.)

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-18-2022, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
STRONGS NT 2150: εὐσέβεια

εὐσέβεια, εὐσεβείας, ἡ (εὐσεβής), reverence, respect; in the Bible everywhere piety toward God, godliness: Acts 3:12; 1 Timothy 2:2; 1 Timothy 4:7, 8; 1 Timothy 6:5f, 11; 2 Timothy 3:5; 2 Peter 1:3, 6f; ἡ κατ' εὐσέβειαν διδασκαλία, the doctrine that promotes godliness, 1 Timothy 6:3 (see κατά, II. 3 d.); ἡ ἀλήθεια ἡ κατ' εὐσέβειαν, the truth that leads to godliness, Titus 1:1; τό μυστήριον τῆς εὐσεβείας, the mystery which is held by godliness and nourishes it, 1 Timothy 3:16; in plural, aims and acts of godliness, 2 Peter 3:11; cf. Pfieiderer, Paulinism., p. 477f (English translation, ii. 209f). (Aeschylus, Sophocles, Xenophon, Plato, and following; often in Josephus; the Sept. Proverbs 1:7; Proverbs 13:11; Isaiah 11:2; Wis. 10:12; often in 4 Macc.; πρός τόν Θεόν, Josephus, Antiquities 18, 5, 2; (περί τό θεῖον) contra Apion 1, 22, 2; εἰς Θεούς καί γονεας, Plato, rep. 10, p. 615 c.) (Cf. Schmidt, chapter 181.)
Hence the name Eusebius, the 4th century church historian.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 01-10-2022, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I don’t have anything to confirm it but it does seem to be the case. I will say that it is not a scriptural definition, in my opinion.

Just my knee jerk reaction would be it is the definition that the Pharisees would portray in the scripture below . . .

Matt.23

[27] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

In other words, godliness is a manifestation of Godly attributes, religion is mostly men’s exhibition of what is acceptable (by men) as godliness. For example, attending church is often misconstrued as godliness, when it would be more accurately defined as a religious exercise, which may not have anything to do with true godliness. That’s my general thoughts on the matter.

It’s a good question.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

GOD'LINESS, noun [from godly.] Piety; belief in God, and reverence for his character and laws.

1. A religious life; a careful observance of the laws of God and performance of religious duties, proceeding from love and reverence for the divine character and commands; christian obedience.

Godliness is profitable unto all things. 1 Timothy 4:7.

2. Revelation; the system of christianity.

Without controversy, great is the mystery of godliness;

God was manifest in the flesh. l Tim.3.

(Webster's Dictionary)

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-10-2022, 12:59 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
GOD'LINESS, noun [from godly.] Piety; belief in God, and reverence for his character and laws.

1. A religious life; a careful observance of the laws of God and performance of religious duties, proceeding from love and reverence for the divine character and commands; christian obedience.

Godliness is profitable unto all things. 1 Timothy 4:7.

2. Revelation; the system of christianity.

Without controversy, great is the mystery of godliness;

God was manifest in the flesh. l Tim.3.

(Webster's Dictionary)
In I Timothy 6:11 and 2 Peter 1:6, wouldn’t this be more about attributes than a religious system?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:53 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
In I Timothy 6:11 and 2 Peter 1:6, wouldn’t this be more about attributes than a religious system?
But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
(1Ti 6:11-12)

From Gill's Commentary on the passage:
godliness; spiritual religion, holiness of heart, and conversation, which has the promise of this life, as well as of the other, and with contentment is great gain; wherefore to pursue this is much better than greedily to run after the riches of this world, or with the false teachers to suppose that godliness lies in worldly gain, or in securing to a man his worldly interest:
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
(2Pe 1:6)

Again, from Gill on the passage:
and to patience, godliness; either internal, which is distinguished from bodily exercise, or outward worship, and lies in the inward and powerful exercise of grace, as faith, hope, love, fear, &c. and the Syriac version here renders it, "the fear of God": or rather external, and intends the whole worship of God, as prayer, praise, hearing of the word, and attendance on all ordinances.
The English word "godliness" means "Piety; belief in God, and reverence for his character and laws.

2. Revelation; the system of christianity."

Piety, belief in God, reverence for His character and laws, the "system of Christianity" ie the Gospel, is not just good ethical behaviour (for then sinners could be godly, which is absurd), but it is the right response to and relationship with God, as reflected in the changed life that is brought into conformity with the will and character of God. This is "right religion".

I think too many of us have bought into the world's propaganda that creates a (false) separation between "religion and spirituality". Also, I think a lot of us church folk have been under the impression that "godliness" means dressing a certain way and following certain church-specified rules or "standards" without considering that real godliness is all about God-manifestation:

But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
(1Ti 3:15-16)

The mystery of true piety or the true religion is that God was manifest in the flesh. Therefore, a follower of true religion, one who has true piety, is one who, like Christ, is an example of God being manifested in their flesh. That is, they are "like Christ", their life is an example or demonstration of the nature and character of God operating in them.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:53 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
(1Ti 6:11-12)

From Gill's Commentary on the passage:
godliness; spiritual religion, holiness of heart, and conversation, which has the promise of this life, as well as of the other, and with contentment is great gain; wherefore to pursue this is much better than greedily to run after the riches of this world, or with the false teachers to suppose that godliness lies in worldly gain, or in securing to a man his worldly interest:
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
(2Pe 1:6)

Again, from Gill on the passage:
and to patience, godliness; either internal, which is distinguished from bodily exercise, or outward worship, and lies in the inward and powerful exercise of grace, as faith, hope, love, fear, &c. and the Syriac version here renders it, "the fear of God": or rather external, and intends the whole worship of God, as prayer, praise, hearing of the word, and attendance on all ordinances.
The English word "godliness" means "Piety; belief in God, and reverence for his character and laws.

2. Revelation; the system of christianity."

Piety, belief in God, reverence for His character and laws, the "system of Christianity" ie the Gospel, is not just good ethical behaviour (for then sinners could be godly, which is absurd), but it is the right response to and relationship with God, as reflected in the changed life that is brought into conformity with the will and character of God. This is "right religion".

I think too many of us have bought into the world's propaganda that creates a (false) separation between "religion and spirituality". Also, I think a lot of us church folk have been under the impression that "godliness" means dressing a certain way and following certain church-specified rules or "standards" without considering that real godliness is all about God-manifestation:

But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
(1Ti 3:15-16)

The mystery of true piety or the true religion is that God was manifest in the flesh. Therefore, a follower of true religion, one who has true piety, is one who, like Christ, is an example of God being manifested in their flesh. That is, they are "like Christ", their life is an example or demonstration of the nature and character of God operating in them.

That's how I see it, anyway.
I agree with you.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2022, 12:54 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I don’t have anything to confirm it but it does seem to be the case. I will say that it is not a scriptural definition, in my opinion.

Just my knee jerk reaction would be it is the definition that the Pharisees would portray in the scripture below . . .

Matt.23

[27] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

In other words, godliness is a manifestation of Godly attributes, religion is mostly men’s exhibition of what is acceptable (by men) as godliness. For example, attending church is often misconstrued as godliness, when it would be more accurately defined as a religious exercise, which may not have anything to do with true godliness. That’s my general thoughts on the matter.

It’s a good question.
That’s an interesting observation, which I am inclined to agree on the surface. Still considering some things.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:38 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Sorry, the last post (which I have deleted) was meant for the other thread (which see, separate topic, sort of).