Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-06-2020, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Re: Tony Spell has church in spite of the ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ness View Post
To distract the public from his sexual escapades and impending impeachment, Clinton calls for airstrikes in Kosovo. Wag the Dog was a movie based on this theory.

Donald Rumsfield goes on T.V., and tells the American public that somehow the U.S. gov't has lost track of 2 Trillion dollars. Record number of short selling for Airlines that day. Next day planes crash into the Twin Towers. Everyone forgets about the 2 trillion. Marines begin to protect Afghan poppy fields.

Trump is exonerated from impeachment, Epstien is suicided. Trade war with China. China would rather have Biden. Leftists say a recession is the only way to beat Trump in 2020. Lady accuses Biden of Sexual assault.

Must hid Biden, they need a distraction...
So Coronavirus is a distraction? Sorry I don't believe it. Off the theories I've read, I believe the most plausible one is that China allowed the virus to spread knowing it would impact the US economy as payback for Trump's tough trade stance.

Also, the lady accused Biden of sexual assault long after the virus hit, so that doesn't really pan out.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Not riding the train

I heard a minister say that God has shut down the church because we have held the Gospel prisoner inside the confines of a church building. He said that the Apostles went house to house and publicly.

He also said he has no problem with going back to a church building, after this is over, as long as we continue reaching outside the confines of our buildings.

Another point he made - If “your“ God is not stronger than what you think was caused by the government or the devil, you don’t know Him.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud View Post
Help me out with this because I'm not following the significance. Churches that meet the requirements of section 501(c)(3) are automatically considered tax exempt. Are you saying there is some distinction to be made between a church that qualifies by default and one that applies for and obtains official recognition?
I know churches are automatically considered 501C but don’t actually get any certification for it unless they do the paperwork to get it. As a church you don’t need the paperwork however some church get it because some companies/people won’t donate unless you have it because they don’t understand that.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Is Spell part of the WPF group (or whatever) that branched off of the upci a little while back?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29
Old 04-06-2020, 11:15 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Is Spell part of the WPF group (or whatever) that branched off of the upci a little while back?
I thought I had remembered him being UPC at one time.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
I know churches are automatically considered 501C but don’t actually get any certification for it unless they do the paperwork to get it. As a church you don’t need the paperwork however some church get it because some companies/people won’t donate unless you have it because they don’t understand that.
Absolutely. And that is why I'm not understanding the significance of Rev. Spell stating his church is a 501(c)(3) organization. It would be much more surprising if it was not. I'm guessing I have overlooked a previous post that states why this matters.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I heard a minister say that God has shut down the church because we have held the Gospel prisoner inside the confines of a church building. He said that the Apostles went house to house and publicly.

He also said he has no problem with going back to a church building, after this is over, as long as we continue reaching outside the confines of our buildings.

Another point he made - If “your“ God is not stronger than what you think was caused by the government or the devil, you don’t know Him.
Hi PO, I can see that as well. If you go into any Church, you could ask the members, how many people have you wirnessed to, how many have you brought to Church, how many have you won and it will be surprising what you will find out.
I used to be over cell ministry in the last Church before this one. There are some pitfalls there as well. One time we had a person move in and started teaching stuff that wasn't our core doctrine. Another one became unaccountable, and yet another thought they were on par with Pastor, or as a Ministerial equal.
I am glad when we left to start this new work, the kids were sad that they and a set of twins that were slightly older were the only kids. I told them to pray about it and invite their friends.
They did and in one service, I think it was Resurrection Sunday, Alanna had 14 if her friends out.
We definitely need to think out of the box and while I have learnt some things, I am by no means arrogant enough to say that I can't learn from someone else.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I thought I had remembered him being UPC at one time.
I think, 50 years ago, his grandfather was part of the AMF group. I know some of them, if not all, left the UPCI. I don’t know if Brother Spell was part of the UPCI or not. I’m thinking not. I don’t know if the AMF is still viable, but I think it is.

I don’t think Brother Tony Spell is WPF, but he may be. I think he is independent. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Per the WWPF website, Spell or his church is part of the organization.

http://www.worldwidepf.com/directory...&address_type=
Old 04-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud View Post
Help me out with this because I'm not following the significance. Churches that meet the requirements of section 501(c)(3) are automatically considered tax exempt. Are you saying there is some distinction to be made between a church that qualifies by default and one that applies for and obtains official recognition?
Okay. Churches are automatically considered tax exempt. They have been (to my knowledge) since the UNITED STATES was born. Separation of church and state, and all that. There is a difference in being tax exempt and being a 501c3 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
No. Churches are not automatically considered 501c3. Many people believe they are, but they are not. They are automatically tax exempt. Which is the case whether they are 501c3, or not.

To my knowledge, churches have never been taxed by the government in the United States. Why? Because the government has no authority over them as a religious organization. Some here have pointed out, and correctly so, that the government has jurisdiction over the building that the church meets in. Sewer, fire codes, plumbing, electrical etc..

So, as I have said before on here, the government has limited authority over the building, and some codes that are tangled up in the construction of the building, but they have no authority over whether, when, how often, you meet, or what doctrine is taught by the church. It is really none of their business.

UNLESS . . . They are a 501c3. Because, no church is automatically a 501c3. They are mostly QUALIFIED for 501c3. They have to apply for that dubious distinction. So . . . Think about that for a moment.

They apply to whom, for that designation?

They apply to the Secretary of State of the state they are geographically located in, Louisiana for Brother Spell. They are applying for the right to abandon their status as a separate entity from the state. They are begging (begging is maybe a bit strong verbiage here, but I’m making a point) for recognition of the fact that they are voluntarily giving up their status of separation from the state. I have NEVER heard of any church being turned down. The church of Scientology was initially, but they appealed and were granted status.

So what happens when they are granted this status? They give up the status of separation, and agree to incorporate, under the laws of the State of Louisiana, in the case of Brother Spell. A corporation is a legal entity. Incorporated UNDER the laws of the state is a legal matter. The church that is incorporated under the laws of the state, are legally bound to obey the laws of that state that apply to such corporations.

That’s the condensed version, as I understand it. Some people are going to dispute this, no doubt, but I have studied it somewhat and I’m pretty sure this is accurate.

Why do churches give up their sovereignty? Because it is widely believed to be a good deal for them. And . . .

DONATIONS ARE OFFICIALLY TAX DEDUCTIBLE. So it comes back to money. The thing is that donations to churches are not disputed by the IRS anyway. But that’s all part of the illusion.

Some will believe, and they may say, otherwise. But law is not opinion. And 501c3 is a matter of law. I welcome other opinions, but I’d like to see documentation. If some would like to verify what I’m saying, or would like to dispute it, do a search on 501c3 status. It is a designation found in IRS tax code.

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 04-06-2020 at 01:27 PM.