Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Getting to know Jesus

A testimony/some thoughts...

Statistics tell me that I should have married an abusive man and/or been an abusive mother. They tell me that as a teen I should have been a run-away, living on the streets, an alcoholic, and drug addict. The places I've been - the places I've allowed myself to be should have caused great harm to come to me. The people I chose to align myself with as a young person should have ended me up in jail or worse, dead. The world called me a victim and says I probably will continue to be victimized throughout my life. But JESUS is in the business of breaking the bonds of statistics and cycles!

I drive my children to school each morning and I watch them walk into the building with such joy in my heart. I can't believe that they are mine to care for! My heart swells with so many positive emotions, it's hard to contain. Those three beautiful human beings have been placed in my care - what a blessing they are!

I have a husband who has proven time and time again that he loves me (see I Corinthians chapter 13). He stands by me, supports me, stays by my side, and protects me. He cares deeply for, and provides for, me and our children. He's a hard worker and a great friend.

Sometimes I think that Jesus allowed us to be parents so that we could have a glimpse and a taste of what he feels for, and thinks of, us. There are times when my kids disobey my rules. They sometimes annoy me. They occasionally say things in anger that hurt me. But despite their shortcomings and the fact that they fail or fall, my love for them never changes. And so it is with God.

I have failed Jesus more times than I can count - literally. I have broken the "rules" (HIS rules). I have fallen, and on occasion, and hesitated to get back up. I've whined and cried and complained. Yet through it all, He remains... never leaving - never turning His back on me. He loves me unconditionally - forever.

Jesus is the perfection I've sought for my whole life! He is that friend I've longed to have - the one who doesn't fail, who loves me despite myself, who can't be pushed away. That is Jesus... a TRUE friend.

Today, I just want to take some time to convey my heart. My life is not/has not been perfect. Chances are, it never will be. This world is full of sorrow and pain. And I've been hurt by many (who hasn't?). I, too (as some have posted), find it difficult to trust others. I've even struggled to trust God. But even Jesus Christ, himself, was abused, ridiculed, neglected, beaten, even killed. JESUS, our LORD! Do I have a right to complain about MY life?

I realize, though, that when one experiences pain or injury, there is a healing process that generally must take place; whether it's physical, emotional or spiritual. Just as the physical body needs care, attention, and time to heal; I believe we need the same for emotional and spiritual wounds to heal as well. And we'll have scars sometimes - even Jesus had scars. But I also realize that it is Jesus who facilitates our healing! And He delights in doing so.

I thank God, today, for all His blessings in my life. He's blessed me beyond measure. I am amazed by His goodness. And I'm especially awed by His mercy!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Not riding the train

Excellent thread and thoughts, Subdued.

I remember one time my sister called and wanted us to get together for a day of shopping and fun. She called at the last minute, which is her way, and canceled because another friend showed up.

I cried before the Lord and said, "She always just uses me this way!"

He spoke to me and said, "Now you know how I feel."

Wow! How hurt he must be by so many things and He just keeps on loving!

What a wonderful God that we serve!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdued View Post
Statistics tell me that I should have married an abusive man and/or been an abusive mother. They tell me that as a teen I should have been a run-away, living on the streets, an alcoholic, and drug addict. The places I've been - the places I've allowed myself to be should have caused great harm to come to me. The people I chose to align myself with as a young person should have ended me up in jail or worse, dead. The world called me a victim and says I probably will continue to be victimized throughout my life. But JESUS is in the business of breaking the bonds of statistics and cycles!

I drive my children to school each morning and I watch them walk into the building with such joy in my heart. I can't believe that they are mine to care for! My heart swells with so many positive emotions, it's hard to contain. Those three beautiful human beings have been placed in my care - what a blessing they are!

I have a husband who has proven time and time again that he loves me (see I Corinthians chapter 13). He stands by me, supports me, stays by my side, and protects me. He cares deeply for, and provides for, me and our children. He's a hard worker and a great friend.

Sometimes I think that Jesus allowed us to be parents so that we could have a glimpse and a taste of what he feels for, and thinks of, us. There are times when my kids disobey my rules. They sometimes annoy me. They occasionally say things in anger that hurt me. But despite their shortcomings and the fact that they fail or fall, my love for them never changes. And so it is with God.

I have failed Jesus more times than I can count - literally. I have broken the "rules" (HIS rules). I have fallen, and on occasion, and hesitated to get back up. I've whined and cried and complained. Yet through it all, He remains... never leaving - never turning His back on me. He loves me unconditionally - forever.

Jesus is the perfection I've sought for my whole life! He is that friend I've longed to have - the one who doesn't fail, who loves me despite myself, who can't be pushed away. That is Jesus... a TRUE friend.

Today, I just want to take some time to convey my heart. My life is not/has not been perfect. Chances are, it never will be. This world is full of sorrow and pain. And I've been hurt by many (who hasn't?). I, too (as some have posted), find it difficult to trust others. I've even struggled to trust God. But even Jesus Christ, himself, was abused, ridiculed, neglected, beaten, even killed. JESUS, our LORD! Do I have a right to complain about MY life?

I realize, though, that when one experiences pain or injury, there is a healing process that generally must take place; whether it's physical, emotional or spiritual. Just as the physical body needs care, attention, and time to heal; I believe we need the same for emotional and spiritual wounds to heal as well. And we'll have scars sometimes - even Jesus had scars. But I also realize that it is Jesus who facilitates our healing! And He delights in doing so.

I thank God, today, for all His blessings in my life. He's blessed me beyond measure. I am amazed by His goodness. And I'm especially awed by His mercy!

Good post! We all have blessings we don't deserve.
I probably walked in your shoes a bit as I came from a dysfunctional family
as well.

My best man at our wedding who was married and had kids before us said that I would really know the love of God when I became a parent and he is right.

Thank God for his wondorous blessings!
Old 04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Getting to know Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Excellent thread and thoughts, Subdued.

I remember one time my sister called and wanted us to get together for a day of shopping and fun. She called at the last minute, which is her way, and canceled because another friend showed up.

I cried before the Lord and said, "She always just uses me this way!"

He spoke to me and said, "Now you know how I feel."

Wow! How hurt he must be by so many things and He just keeps on loving!

What a wonderful God that we serve!
What a wonderful God, indeed; my friend! I'm so glad that He's a God that allows His creation to know him personally.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Getting to know Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Good post! We all have blessings we don't deserve.
I probably walked in your shoes a bit as I came from a dysfunctional family
as well.

My best man at our wedding who was married and had kids before us said that I would really know the love of God when I became a parent and he is right.

Thank God for his wondorous blessings!
I agree with your friend!

Parenting comes with many blessings... one of those is to know Him better.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
My Family!

What a beautiful gift you have given yourself today for your birthday!

I hope you save this and read it each birthday!!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for sharing beautiful thoughts - from your heart! May your day be blessed!
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Some of you may not remember when Subdued first came on the scene, but her and I became friends with one other poster who started a thread that was negative in origin. Our thoughts on that thread brought us together, and the three of us were a sad lot.

I have seen so much growth in both of my friends in the last year...more than I ever expected. I love reading their posts that show time and time again the change that has taken place in them, and my only hope is that one day I can see things as they do without feeling like I do.

I'm proud of you, Subdued. I'm glad to call you 'friend'. I love you very much. You are very special to me, and I'm glad the internet and God brought us together. You bless my life.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Some of you may not remember when Subdued first came on the scene, but her and I became friends with one other poster who started a thread that was negative in origin. Our thoughts on that thread brought us together, and the three of us were a sad lot.

I have seen so much growth in both of my friends in the last year...more than I ever expected. I love reading their posts that show time and time again the change that has taken place in them, and my only hope is that one day I can see things as they do without feeling like I do.

I'm proud of you, Subdued. I'm glad to call you 'friend'. I love you very much. You are very special to me, and I'm glad the internet and God brought us together. You bless my life.
Who was the other person ya'll were ragging on? You have to tell us now.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Who was the other person ya'll were ragging on? You have to tell us now.

Michlow. She started a thread that had to do with feeling like a nobody and didn't deserve anything or something along those lines, and Subdued and I also posted our feelings and found that we had a lot in common.

I never expected such a wonderful friend out of that 'meeting' of the minds.

Someday I hope to meet Michlow too. She is also a wonderful person, although we don't talk as often as we used to. I miss her when she isn't around.