Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

Why is endorsing gay marriage/civil unions bad?

So anyone care to explain to me what is wrong with endorsing gay marriage/civil unions?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: Why is endorsing gay marriage/civil unions bad

It's like approving of homosexuality.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
So anyone care to explain to me what is wrong with endorsing gay marriage/civil unions?
Personally, I won't endorse it. Genesis 2:20-24 pretty much clears up that marriage was intended to be between a man and a woman. However, I'm sure many of us know where a conversation would go if we bring that very scripture up to someone who either supports SSM or is currently married to a SS partner. The whole "you're being judgemental!" statement would very likely be thrown in.

There's no judgemental anything being thrown in. It's Bible. It's the desgin God chose in order for His plan to be carried out. For me to endorse SSM would immediately contradict the foundation for a Christian marriage.

Now...

Here we are in modern society. SSM is heavily debated, discussed, and many times thrown in our face by the media and Hollywood. Such a heavy influence in those two alone. If someone were to consider SSM, a few questions would pop into my mind:

1) Obviously, "Why?"
2) What was the family structure like during childhood? Overbearing or passive father? Overbearing or passive mother? Gay siblings/relatives?
3) What was the spiritual foundation, if any, like? Consistent fellowship with other believers? Off and on fellowship? No fellowship at all? Influence is key.
4) What type of entertainment would I find? Frequent sexual content? Hate/disrespect toward people of faith, etc? Again, influence is key.
5) Did they just have a sudden change of heart, even though all of the above seemed like they were conducive to a Christian home?

Getting down to the heart of the matter, it would help to know where someone came from in terms of their raising to figure out why they'd consider SSM. To immediately respond with Leviticus and Deuteronomy accounts, etc won't help the other person, I can assure you. Yet, too many people do and wonder why no progress can be made in helping that person come out of their mindset and belief.

The best thing, IMO, for politicians to do is not endorse or deny marriage, period, and leave it to the churches and people to decide from there. I'm pretty sure folks on both sides of the aisle would disagree with what I just said. But, as I've said before, we let government decide what they'll allow/give, they'll also be the ones who can deny/take away. Kinda like what Thomas Jefferson said: "A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Why is endorsing X bad, where X is something prohibited in Scripture?

Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

jf - what do you think the Lord would say about "marriage" between a man and a woman?

What do you think about multiple partner marriages?

Because that is where we are headed next.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Renewed

There is nothing wrong with endorsing it.......... in the political arena.

The government and what they do is out of our control, no matter how we vote. They will always stand at odds with the church. I wouldn't expect any different. Their goals in this world are not the same as ours so it really is irrelevant to attempt to protest what they do.

"as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Banned

You might examine the Q the other way;
"Why is preventing _____ (hospital visits,
inheriting, etc, among gays) bad?

There are supposedly laws for this, and I'm
not quite sure why a power of attorney
wouldn't work? (but I'm the type of guy
who would not need one to go see my
SO in the hospital; this seems contrived-
-but I'm totally ignorant here)

for the record, I'm against gay marriage,
but prolly for civil union.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Beautiful are the feet......

I could accept gay marriage if I knew for sure that their agenda would stop there. The truth is that they will continue their pursuit until not only is the gay lifestyle accepted as normal, but wholly endorsed by society and government.

I think that the gay marriage agenda is a direct confrontation to those of religious persuasion. Many see the non-acceptance of gay marriage as the government siding with religion, and as an assault on their rights as a US citizen.

Once a "Christian' nation, our nation is slowly descending into a "non-Christian" nation. It is now open-season on Christians in the US.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
It goes against the Word of God.

Plain and simple.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
It goes against the Word of God.

Plain and simple.
Yep pretty much. Just because a politician is non Christian (Obama of course, says he is Christian) does not mean it is OK. Lying and hating is perhaps expected among unbelievers, but that does not make it OK.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves