Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Speaking of Talent vs. Anointing...

I'm just trying to get various perspectives on the subject of talent vs. anointing. So, my question is this: do we base one's talent or anointing on what we see, hear, or know about a person?

Talking about gospel music, when certain lyrics are penned or certain songs are sung, it takes little to no time for chills to come over me. Many times, we associate that with feeling the presence of God, or saying "that's the Holy Ghost coming over me/us/you." When it comes to preaching/teaching, I've felt the chills on a number of occasions when certain scriptures are read and/or certain points are being made and God begins to move.

So, how does one know, or how can one distinguish the difference between talent and anointing? Do we start asking questions that start off as "Do they do this or that, do they know this or that, or do they look like this or that?"

What if God, in fact, does bless someone with a talent to be used as anointing to bless others, regardless of the questions we start asking in skepticism? Maybe an even more important question is: who are we to say what talent is compared to anointing?

Last edited by Dagwood; 05-11-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM
All Because Jesus...

Re: Speaking of Talent vs. Anointing...

Don't you think for sake of everyone being on the same page, annointing and talent need to be defined respectively? If not, folks may not be talking about the same things..... I think you need to upack that a little more.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

I've always felt that 'anointing' was for the moment. "....and then the anointing came upon him!" sort of thing. Talent on the other hand is something you develop. Now there may be a certain amount that comes naturally but other than a savants I can think of no one was born being able to play the piano. It took many many hours of practice which takes place over years of time.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Renewed

I don't think your reaction to any particular media or preaching can be considered a sign of talent or annointing of the provider. I think the feeling of the Holy Spirit moving within you is produced by how that particular media affects your own personal walk. My sister feels the same move when she hears "Jesus take the wheel" because she has experience that scenerio.

The same can be said of preaching. I listened to a messege in a Baptist church that moved me tremendously because what was preached spoke to my life situation at hand.

How to judge ones talents or annointing can be difficult but I believe it is done more with spiritual decernment than what is produced or acted out.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
All Because Jesus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I don't think your reaction to any particular media or preaching can be considered a sign of talent or annointing of the provider. I think the feeling of the Holy Spirit moving within you is produced by how that particular media affects your own personal walk. My sister feels the same move when she hears "Jesus take the wheel" because she has experience that scenerio.

The same can be said of preaching. I listened to a messege in a Baptist church that moved me tremendously because what was preached spoke to my life situation at hand.

How to judge ones talents or annointing can be difficult but I believe it is done more with spiritual decernment than what is produced or acted out.
I'm very confused... are you using talent and annointing interchangeably?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
All Because Jesus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I've always felt that 'anointing' was for the moment. "....and then the anointing came upon him!" sort of thing. Talent on the other hand is something you develop. Now there may be a certain amount that comes naturally but other than a savants I can think of no one was born being able to play the piano. It took many many hours of practice which takes place over years of time.
Regarding talent... I think one discovers talent that already resides in them... but you develop skill.

I have a natural talent for music... that was already inside me... just part of my fiber... and there was a natural raw talent (in potential) to play the piano... After I developed some SKILL, the talent came forth organically. I don't think someone can develop talent.... to me that's what skills are.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Robbins View Post
Regarding talent... I think one discovers talent that already resides in them... but you develop skill.

I have a natural talent for music... that was already inside me... just part of my fiber... and there was a natural raw talent (in potential) to play the piano... After I developed some SKILL, the talent came forth organically. I don't think someone can develop talent.... to me that's what skills are.
I agree, I was blessed with perfect pitch and ear from a small child. I could pick out any off key or drop in pitch. I could sing harmony with anyone, but I am a natural alto.
Thankfully our Pastor encouraged that talent in me starting when I was a toddler.
My brother and sister are talented with instruments and singing. I can't play any instrument at all.
I cannot read any music, and the learning to breathe right to sing was a developed skill over time.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post

I agree Scotty, talent is right for the first paragraph. The last sentence speaks to anointing. IMO
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

I discovered I had a talent for ballroom dance.

It goes without saying that the UPC never encouraged its development. LOL
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I discovered I had a talent for ballroom dance.

It goes without saying that the UPC never encouraged its development. LOL
I better not comment.