Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Welcome Fellow Christians - Steve Pixler 8/17/14

Someone PM'd me and suggested I watch / listen to Steve Pixler's sermon last Sunday at the church he pastors, Cornerstone Apostolic Church in Ft. Worth, Texas.

Because of a thread a few weeks ago about another SP sermon I had already listened to a couple of his sermons online and have been very impressed.

Last Sunday's sermon "Welcome Fellow Christians" (8/17/14) is apparently part of a series of sermons that I will now try and go back and listen to the previoius ones.

In any case I thought this sermon was one of the best I have ever heard about the subject matter in or out of old time Pentecost.

If I could pick one sermon to be preached at a UPC General Conference or WPF meeting it would be this one.

I don't think the fortitude it takes to preach messages like this in the context of an old time Pentecostal enviroment and history can be over emphasized. Men have been misunderstood, mischaracterized, and alienated for much less frankness than this.

So far the three sermons I have heard in the last month or two are amazing examples of the right way to prepare a church to carry out the Great Commission in a better way. What he preaches about goes to the core of parts of Pentecostal culture that are not just extra biblical but unbiblical.

My hope will be that conservatives who would never be open to a word from a liberal will be open to considering this word from one of their own.

Here is a link to the Cornerstone Apostolic media page where you can find the link to the 8/17/14 Sunday sermon;

http://cornerstonefortworth.org/media/webcast/
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Re: Welcome Fellow Christians - Steve Pixler 8/17/

I enjoyed the message also. I believe there is a balance though when it comes to our Christian liberty. Paul's message about meat was to let us know that there was things in the OT law that had been fulfilled and we had been set at liberty, but that we should not judge one another concerning OT ceremonial laws. I don't think that he was excusing division among his body in morality, modesty, sexuality, etc.

I know sometimes we split hairs over things that may not be important with God, but we are seeing a generation that has taken Christian liberty to whole new level. We have seen a thread about homosexual churches and that is gross sin. Paul's teaching among the Jews may have been characterized as a liberal in his day. I believe if we heard him today there probably wouldn't be a conservative like him.

I believe we are one of the most material, immodest, self centered cultures in all of history. Although, being critical of one another is not the answer. I believe we need to place a strong focus on being pleasing to Jesus Christ and that he wants us to freed from the bondage of sin in our lives. We still need to strive to live a holy life unto God and there shouldn't be divisions with that truth.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I no longer listen to anything from Pixler
Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Pastor View Post
Yea. Don't rock that old boat it might sink!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

http://www.cornerstonefortworth.org/...one_081714.mp3
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 08-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I come from a fairly conservative background. This post makes me very very sad. I don't know Steve Pixler and I have never heard him speak or listened to any of his messages on media; however, the idea that you would automatically cut him off bothers me.

I have tears in my eyes now just thinking about it. I don't know you AR - but your spirit comes across very harsh and critical. (Not just this particular post, but previous ones I have read as well.)

May God have mercy on us all.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
any particular reason?
has he said something that was not biblical?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
AR, is your statement based on a sermon or sermons you have heard him preach or my comments and others about these recent sermons? If the latter then I would urge you to listen for yourself before making a judgement.

Can you elaborate on why you no longer listen to anything from him?
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
I come from a fairly conservative background. This post makes me very very sad. I don't know Steve Pixler and I have never heard him speak or listened to any of his messages on media; however, the idea that you would automatically cut him off bothers me.

I have tears in my eyes now just thinking about it. I don't know you AR - but your spirit comes across very harsh and critical. (Not just this particular post, but previous ones I have read as well.)

May God have mercy on us all.
I am not being harsh. But he is going a different way than I am so he can do as he sees fit and I will do the same.

I do not agree with the direction he is going.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
AR, is your statement based on a sermon or sermons you have heard him preach or my comments and others about these recent sermons? If the latter then I would urge you to listen for yourself before making a judgement.

Can you elaborate on why you no longer listen to anything from him?
Really not the sermons but the direction that I know he is going. Things that I know for a fact that have changed.