Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2016, 03:25 PM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Repentance after a Prophetic Word

I would like help to compile a list of those (in scripture) who heard a prophetic or word from God preached to them, and repented, and what the outcome was.

And I would also like a list of those who heard the word of God, and who refused to repent, and what the outcome was.

I've thought of two. There are many more. Please add any you think of.

In 1 Sam. 13 Samuel asked King Saul what he had done. Saul, knowing what he had done wrong, made excuses, and had no repentance. Because he did not repent, and admit his guilt, then judgment was poured out.
1 Sam. 13:11-14
11 And Samuel said, What hast thou done? And Saul said, Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that thou camest not within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered themselves together at Michmash;
12 Therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering.
13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.
No sign of repentance from Saul, and his kingdom was taken away from him.

To contrast this:

King Ahab was a wicked and evil man.

1 Kings 21:25 But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up.


These were Elijah's words to him:

1 Kings 21:19-21
19 And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, Hast thou killed, and also taken possession? And thou shalt speak unto him, saying, Thus saith the LORD, In the place where dogs licked the blood of Naboth shall dogs lick thy blood, even thine.
20 And Ahab said to Elijah, Hast thou found me, O mine enemy? And he answered, I have found thee: because thou hast sold thyself to work evil in the sight of the LORD.
21 Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,

Upon hearing these words, Ahab did something Saul did not do:

1 Kings 21:27-28
27 And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.
28 And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying,

And listen to how the Lord responded to wicked Ahab's penitent heart:

1 Kings 21:29 Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.



I know there are a lot more records that describe repentance, and whether the judgment of God came to pass, or not, depending on the repentant state of the heart.

Please share, and thoughts on this subject appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 PM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

I've continued to think along these lines. King Saul didn't commit the atrocious sins that King David did, yet, he lost his kingdom.

The difference was in what they did when the Word of God confronted them. King Saul excused his behavior. King David acknowledged his sin, and sought repentance.

God honors true repentance, even though judgment does come, sometimes it is softened or delayed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2016, 08:58 PM
mfblume's Avatar
mfblume mfblume is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portage la Prairie, MB CANADA
Posts: 37,884
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I've continued to think along these lines. King Saul didn't commit the atrocious sins that King David did, yet, he lost his kingdom.

The difference was in what they did when the Word of God confronted them. King Saul excused his behavior. King David acknowledged his sin, and sought repentance.

God honors true repentance, even though judgment does come, sometimes it is softened or delayed.
Now THAT is good word!!
__________________
...MY THOUGHTS, ANYWAY.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2016, 09:08 PM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Another example is Nebuchednezzar and then his son Belteshazzar. I read the story in Daniel this morning, and it is what got me to initially thinking about this.

Daniel 4

Daniel told Nebuchednezzar what was going to happen to him. Apparently N. didn't really believe Daniel, but after 12 months, it came to pass, and N was driven from men, his dwelling was with beasts and did eat grass, and his hair grew like eagles feathers and his nails like birds' claws. Daniel 4:33

But then! At the end of the days, N. lifted up his eyes unto heaven, and blessed the most High. Daniel 4:34 And the kingdom was not lost to N., not in his day.

Contrast that to his son, Belteshazzar to whom the prophetic word of the Lord came to, and he did not repent, even after being reminded of what his father had done, Daniel 5:21, and then seeing the handwriting on the wall, Daniel 5:24. Because Belteshazzar did not repent, Daniel 5:30 "in that night was Belteshazzar. the king of the Chaldeans slain". He died because he did not seek repentance, and the kingdom was lost.

A powerful reminder of what happens with true repentance.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2016, 09:10 PM
mfblume's Avatar
mfblume mfblume is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portage la Prairie, MB CANADA
Posts: 37,884
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Another example is Nebuchednezzar and then his son Belteshazzar. I read the story in Daniel this morning, and it is what got me to initially thinking about this.

Daniel 4

Daniel told Nebuchednezzar what was going to happen to him. Apparently N. didn't really believe Daniel, but after 12 months, it came to pass, and N was driven from men, his dwelling was with beasts and did eat grass, and his hair grew like eagles feathers and his nails like birds' claws. Daniel 4:33

But then! At the end of the days, N. lifted up his eyes unto heaven, and blessed the most High. Daniel 4:34 And the kingdom was not lost to N., not in his day.

Contrast that to his son, Belteshazzar to whom the prophetic word of the Lord came to, and he did not repent, even after being reminded of what his father had done, Daniel 5:21, and then seeing the handwriting on the wall, Daniel 5:24. Because Belteshazzar did not repent, Daniel 5:30 "in that night was Belteshazzar. the king of the Chaldeans slain". He died because he did not seek repentance, and the kingdom was lost.

A powerful reminder of what happens with true repentance.
Reminds me of how one man committing one sin who does not repent is like a heathen. But a man who sins 490 times in one day and COMES TO YOU seeking forgiveness is to be forgiven each and every time!

Compare 1 sin to 490 in one day! Who LOOKS worse? Who actually IS worse?
__________________
...MY THOUGHTS, ANYWAY.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2016, 10:20 PM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Reminds me of how one man committing one sin who does not repent is like a heathen. But a man who sins 490 times in one day and COMES TO YOU seeking forgiveness is to be forgiven each and every time!

Compare 1 sin to 490 in one day! Who LOOKS worse? Who actually IS worse?
That's a tough question, one all of us hope we never have to answer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 PM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Another tough repentance question:

Hebrews 12
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.


You can note here that Esau sought repentance carefully with tears, but was rejected.

I've never quite understood why, when so many others through scripture after humbling themselves, found forgiveness, and yet, Esau was not granted that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2016, 10:48 PM
mfblume's Avatar
mfblume mfblume is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portage la Prairie, MB CANADA
Posts: 37,884
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Another tough repentance question:

Hebrews 12
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.


You can note here that Esau sought repentance carefully with tears, but was rejected.

I've never quite understood why, when so many others through scripture after humbling themselves, found forgiveness, and yet, Esau was not granted that.
That same book in Heb 6:6 notes those who walk away from Christ having actually known his power and glory, cannot be recovered. The situations are the same in both cases.

Esau's transgression of the birthright issue must be the same as someone walking away from the cross after fully knowing its power.
__________________
...MY THOUGHTS, ANYWAY.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2016, 08:52 PM
votivesoul's Avatar
votivesoul votivesoul is offline
Administrator


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 5,070
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Another tough repentance question:

Hebrews 12
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.


You can note here that Esau sought repentance carefully with tears, but was rejected.

I've never quite understood why, when so many others through scripture after humbling themselves, found forgiveness, and yet, Esau was not granted that.
Here's a thought:

When Esau wept before his father Isaac, had he sinned?

Nope. Jacob was the deceiver who had lied and so, had sinned.

So, did Esau need to repent for what Jacob did to trick Isaac?

Nope. I think Esau sought repentance for Isaac. To repent in Greek is to reconsider, to think again, and change one's mind.

Esau pleaded with Isaac to change his mind.

That's what Esau sought carefully with tears. He wanted dear old dad to change his mind about who should have received the inheritance and blessing.

But he couldn't find it, because Pa Isaac refused to grant to him the blessing of the firstborn, having already given it, no matter how he was tricked into it by Jacob.
__________________
For anyone devoted to His fear:

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2016, 11:46 PM
KeptByTheWord's Avatar
KeptByTheWord KeptByTheWord is offline
On the road less traveled


 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On a mountain... somewhere
Posts: 8,368
Re: Repentance after a Prophetic Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
That same book in Heb 6:6 notes those who walk away from Christ having actually known his power and glory, cannot be recovered. The situations are the same in both cases.

Esau's transgression of the birthright issue must be the same as someone walking away from the cross after fully knowing its power.
Excellent point. To know what you have, and willfully give it away as if it means nothing to you is dangerous ground to be on. Sobering thought.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prophetic word by Bro Arcovio "no election" Truthseeker Fellowship Hall 439 09-17-2017 07:27 AM
Prophetic word from Paul Harvey 47 years ago forgivenson Fellowship Hall 0 05-05-2012 03:24 PM
Prophetic Word about the Election Pastor Keith Political Talk 291 11-05-2008 06:26 PM
A Prophetic Word Brother Strange Deep Waters 116 11-27-2007 10:42 AM
Letting The Word Speak vs Making The Word Talk Digging4Truth Deep Waters 4 07-25-2007 10:05 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by coksiw
- by shag

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.