Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
baptism, baptized, holy spirit, salvation

Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Don't ask.

Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyronePalmer View Post
I said this in response to CC1's thread 65+ People Baptized in Jesus Name this weekend

"That's good news! And how many were baptized with the Holy Spirit showing the initial evidence of speaking in other languages?

Jesus said one must be born of water AND Spirit in order to enter into the kingdom of God. John 3:5 :-)"

CC1 Said: "You are born of water in your natural birth and of the Spirit when you repent and accept Christ as your savior. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is subsequent to salvation and an empowerment to living for God. Now that should set off a firestorm! If it does please make it another thread since this one is strictly on water baptism at my church."

What must one do in order to be saved?
How many births are mentioned in John 5?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Is it possible(I think it is) that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, being filled with the Spirit, having the Spirit, receiving the Spirit, the Spirit coming upon someone, the Spirit coming, and many more actions of the Holy Spirit are not all the same thing? Surely there is a reason there are different descriptions for each occurrence. We have a command to "be filled with the Spirit" (literally be being filled with the Spirit, a continuous process). I just want to be filled today. That's more important than what happened 35 years ago.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Acts 19

1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

So, one scripture trumps another?
How does Acts 19:1-2 show the Holy Ghost as being "subsequent" to salvation? Obviously, he didn't deem them to be saved without it.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

The Samaritans believed and were baptized in Acts 8:12

they had received the Word of God according to verse 14

and yet had not received the HG according to verse 15-16

Act 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Act 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
Act 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
Act 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
Is it possible(I think it is) that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, being filled with the Spirit, having the Spirit, receiving the Spirit, the Spirit coming upon someone, the Spirit coming, and many more actions of the Holy Spirit are not all the same thing? Surely there is a reason there are different descriptions for each occurrence. We have a command to "be filled with the Spirit" (literally be being filled with the Spirit, a continuous process). I just want to be filled today. That's more important than what happened 35 years ago.
I Cor 12:4 - "diversities of gifts, same spirit"
I Cor 12:6 - "diversities of operations, same God that worketh all in all"
I Cor 12:8 - "word of wisdom and knowledge given by the same spirit"
I Cor 12:9 - "faith and healing given by the same spirit"
Old 03-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL thats the oldest question in pentecost

if you ask CC1 its true.
if you ask me its not.

CC1 is still a good guy
This.

My personal belief is that a person must repent of their sins, have their sins washed away in baptism and must be filled with the Holy Ghost in order to go to Heaven. Yep, I'm an Apostolic traditionalist on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
How does Acts 19:1-2 show the Holy Ghost as being "subsequent" to salvation? Obviously, he didn't deem them to be saved without it.
Agreed, nothing in that passage implies that the "certain disciples" were saved with--or without--the re-baptism and infilling of the Holy Ghost. Obviously it needed to be done; Paul seemed to think it was important enough to introduce them to baptism in Jesus' name and being filled with the Holy Ghost. Now, why would Paul think that people who were already BELIEVERS and DISCIPLES needed to be re-baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost? Wasn't repentance enough?

The most important conclusion that can be drawn from Acts 19:1-2 regarding our doctrine is that repentance and believing are not synonymous with being filled with the Holy Ghost. 1. They hadn't even heard that there was a Holy Ghost--even though they had repented and were believers, and 2. In spite of the fact that they had repented and believed, Paul prayed for them and the Holy Ghost they hadn't yet heard of or experienced "came on them" and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. It was definitely a separate experience from repentance and believing.

I have always appreciated the respect that Paul showed those disciples, though. It's an important attitude that the overly-exclusive Apostolic church world should emulate.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
How is that "obvious"? He called them disciples. Said they believed.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
How is that "obvious"? He called them disciples. Said they believed.
Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Last edited by RJR; 03-06-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Exactly. I have rarely seen a promise that didn't have an "if" to go with it. There are conditional promises in the Bible. Nothing is free in life.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
This.

My personal belief is that a person must repent of their sins, have their sins washed away in baptism and must be filled with the Holy Ghost in order to go to Heaven. Yep, I'm an Apostolic traditionalist on this issue.

Agreed, nothing in that passage implies that the "certain disciples" were saved with--or without--the re-baptism and infilling of the Holy Ghost. Obviously it needed to be done; Paul seemed to think it was important enough to introduce them to baptism in Jesus' name and being filled with the Holy Ghost. Now, why would Paul think that people who were already BELIEVERS and DISCIPLES needed to be re-baptized and filled with the Holy Ghost? Wasn't repentance enough?

The most important conclusion that can be drawn from Acts 19:1-2 regarding our doctrine is that repentance and believing are not synonymous with being filled with the Holy Ghost. 1. They hadn't even heard that there was a Holy Ghost--even though they had repented and were believers, and 2. In spite of the fact that they had repented and believed, Paul prayed for them and the Holy Ghost they hadn't yet heard of or experienced "came on them" and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. It was definitely a separate experience from repentance and believing.

I have always appreciated the respect that Paul showed those disciples, though. It's an important attitude that the overly-exclusive Apostolic church world should emulate.
Good post, but don't make the mistake that Paul would have "included" anyone that didn't receive the truth of the Gospel. Luke 10:11 The people Paul prayed for readily received what he had to say.