Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Banned

Re: Students Plan - March for Our Lives: March 24t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
What if we secure school perimeters and have scans and guards like at airports and courthouses, along with making AK47s and AR15s harder to get?
I'd support that.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
That is what I had when I was in high school. Fencing, guards, dogs, photo ID, etc. Add in some random locker raids.

Worked like a charm.

That was back in 1982.
I had that too. Only we didn't have dogs.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

The dogs sniffed for drugs as you handed the guard your ID at the gate.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
The religious rhetoric is not stopping the violent mass murder of citizens. Pray all you want. Pray the murdered students back to life.

If you cannot pray them back to life, if your prayers cannot stop the senseless repeated mass murders, then let others step up and pen legislation that will prevent access to the weapons used by the murderers.
Wow. Just, wow. If you really think like that, why are you even on an Apostolic forum?
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
The dogs sniffed for drugs as you handed the guard your ID at the gate.
We had walk through metal detectors. Once you cleared them, you were wanded down. You were required to open your book bag, scoot it on a table with you, and they looked in it. Once cleared, you were permitted to zip up your book bag and head to breakfast or class. All doors were locked from the inside. All visitors had to enter through one front door and just inside was a walk through metal detector with a single security guard holding a wand. They'd do locker searches based on reports or suspicion. But I don't remember random searches. Any door could be opened form the inside. But it sounded an alarm. And these doors locked once closed again. So if a student opened a door down by the gym and went outside, an alarm would go off and the student couldn't get back in unless they went through screening at the main entrance.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
Wow. Just, wow. If you really think like that, why are you even on an Apostolic forum?
It's just frustration from us who believe the government should be doing more to protect us as citizens. Especially our children in the schools.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:45 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
It's just frustration from us who believe the government should be doing more to protect us as citizens. Especially our children in the schools.
You really expect the government to protect you? You've got a lot of disappointment coming, then. That's why it's important that the conceal carry ban on school grounds be lifted, so people can defend themselves in times of danger.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

I prefer armed guards in schools. Professional law enforcement are the only people I trust using firearms in an urban setting.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 02-20-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd support a ban on automatic weapons,
There's already a ban on automatic weapons.

Quote:
assault weapons (military style weapons),
Again, too broad. Pistols could be considered a military style weapon.

Quote:
bump stocks, and any device that turns a weapon into essentially an automatic weapon.
I would be okay with regulating bump stocks and trigger cranks.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
You really expect the government to protect you? You've got a lot of disappointment coming, then. That's why it's important that the conceal carry ban on school grounds be lifted, so people can defend themselves in times of danger.
I couldn't trust every thrice divorced, pill popping, burnout teacher, or hillbilly janitor, with concealed carry around my kids. I just don't.

BUT.... that doesn't mean that I'm against armed security. Schools should be able to contract for bonded, trained, and vetted security guards.

I'd also support strong security screening measures (metal detectors and wands), breach doors, and first floor classrooms having escape "fire doors" leading outside.

Also, a review of procedures. For example, if the fire alarm goes off, the classes are to immediately proceed to the hall and take their designated exit routes. Why? Why not require staff to verify smell of smoke, fire, etc.? Or at least ensure that the coast is clear? Just herding into the halls immediately after a fire alarm is pulled only creates a large crowd of potential targets. Review of these kinds of procedures is necessary.

Quote:
You really expect the government to protect you?
I expect the government to provide reasonable security for students in government schools. Schools have so many non-essential staff these days. Cut them and hire armed security. Or perhaps contract with a reputable security company. I'm not against partnering with the private sector.

Last edited by Aquila; 02-20-2018 at 11:31 AM.