Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: To tithe or not to tithe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
So when you gave 15% you were in effect giving the bare minimum required, which meant it wasn't really giving.
Me too. 15% was the minimum... of the gross amount on your check (regardless of what Uncle Sam and everyone else got to keep) and then you still were expected to participate in all the sundry and various fundraisers which would include one of the dumbest things... make a dinner for your family, bring it to church, and then pay 5 dollars a person just to get to eat it!

And never, ever was it taught that you were to help out the widows, fatherless poor people in the church, community or your neighborhood... no, just give to the Missions and that takes care of that. We found out that maybe 20% of what you actually give to to the UPCI Missions program, actually goes to the country to help out with the gospel.... If that much...
Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Me too. 15% was the minimum... of the gross amount on your check (regardless of what Uncle Sam and everyone else got to keep) and then you still were expected to participate in all the sundry and various fundraisers which would include one of the dumbest things... make a dinner for your family, bring it to church, and then pay 5 dollars a person just to get to eat it!

And never, ever was it taught that you were to help out the widows, fatherless poor people in the church, community or your neighborhood... no, just give to the Missions and that takes care of that. We found out that maybe 20% of what you actually give to to the UPCI Missions program, actually goes to the country to help out with the gospel.... If that much...
Kingdom builders was my favorite! I am giving 15 percent and still expected to kick in another 5 percent for the building.......what was the the tithe for????

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Kingdom builders was my favorite! I am giving 15 percent and still expected to kick in another 5 percent for the building.......what was the the tithe for????
Tithe is the pastor's. Offering is supposed to cover the church bills.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Is it anyone else's experience that the Lord seems to provide more, bless more, etc when you practice tithing?

Does anyone personally know a person who tithed and gave offering regularly to become flat broke, without income or adequate income for the rest of their lives?

Is there anyone willing to say that they honestly believe that there is NO BENEFIT to tithing to the Lord?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
Is it anyone else's experience that the Lord seems to provide more, bless more, etc when you practice tithing?

Does anyone personally know a person who tithed and gave offering regularly to become flat broke, without income or adequate income for the rest of their lives?

Is there anyone willing to say that they honestly believe that there is NO BENEFIT to tithing to the Lord?
Can anyone say that they are blessed because they have tithed specifically? Or could be because they are giving in general? God loves a cheerful giver right?

Put another way. If I make $100.000 and give $10,000 and you make $100,000 and tithe $10,000 will you be more blessed than me because you called yours tithing and mine was just giving?

Let's expand the thought a little just for fun and say you paid your tithe to a church where 90% of all tithing and giving goes to pay expenses and I gave my giving directly to people who are in need. Which is following Jesus teaching when He said "when I was hungry you gave me food to eat and when I was......" Just food for thought.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Who ALL exactly is the "us" you are referring to in accordance with scripture?
That would be all believers
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Administrator

I still believe there is a principal many are missing. God wanted you to give cheerfully to the priesthood to provide for the ministry. If they had not done that we would not have the Word of God today.

I do not believe the principal of giving has changed nor the reason. I do however, believe it has not been fulfilled as intended.

I do not believe it is the will of God that ministers be poor, nor rich. I do believe the tithes and offering should cover all the expenses of the church including building. (I wonder how many would be looking to build new and bigger buildings and/or remodel if it meant less money in their pockets)

God's principals don't change. JMO
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

No one teaches biblical tithing, only them that think they do.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post

When I tithed (every paycheck, on the gross, not the net), we did OK. Since I stopped, we do OK. Very shortly after I stopped, I got the biggest pay increase, as a percentage, I had ever had.

And I don't think I know anyone what went flat broke and no or inadequate income for the rest of their lives, tithing or not.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Since coming to truth about error of tithing my income has grown quite substantially.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.