Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

View Poll Results: Spanking , is it biblical
Yes 18 90.00%
No 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Spanking, is it biblical?

This is a shoot off from another thread, I just wanted to poll what others believe.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Re: Spanking, is it biblical?

of course it is, the non spankers cant just erase the plethora of scriptures from the ot, lol
Old 10-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Sister Alvear

spanking yes...beating no!

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Sister Alvear

I don´t have a lot of time today but I think we should be balanced. Jesus taught us about balance. He rebukes those He loves...but He doesn´t leave them for dead...or half dead...lol..

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

I will have to watch this thread a while before answering.

My answer would have been yes for most of my life and I have used spanking in the raising of my children.

But I was a little surprised to find that old faithful "spare the rod, spoil the child" was not in scripture.

I would like to see how others feel about the "biblicalness" of the concept.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I don´t have a lot of time today but I think we should be balanced. Jesus taught us about balance. He rebukes those He loves...but He doesn´t leave them for dead...or half dead...lol..
Indeed...

I haven't spanked my children in a while. Of course they are good kids and don't find themselves in a position where they need one and they are all getting older now.

But... we do talk to them a lot about stuff. I am sure I am opening up myself for the rebuke of some on this forum but...

The last few times we found ourselves in a situation that would call for a spanking we began as we always do... that is... we began by discussing what was done... why we do not do that... where in the Bible it speaks to this action... and how those scriptures should affect our actions if we are Christians.

During the course of the discussion/Bible Study that precedes any further punishment there was a true sense of repentance in the room. I (calmly and systematically... not with anger or loud communication) demonstrated with scripture why this is against the nature and spirit of our God and my child broke down in repentance.

To me... there is no spanking that will fix what a true spirit of repentance will fix.

Now... some of you may call me gullible but I am not. My kids ALWAYS cry when they are about to get a spanking... but I have found that these sessions where we discuss and point out the reason why we don't do these things and the scriptures that show us God's nature coupled with the fact that our goal as Christians is to emulate that nature will, often, bring about a spirit of repentance in their own spirit.

I have not seen a repeat offense of any of these issues which I have dealt with in this fashion
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
spanking yes...beating no!
Thank you!!! We agree. On the other thread, it sounded like leaving bruises and stripes was being heartily endorsed as appropriate discipline.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividedThigh View Post
of course it is, the non spankers cant just erase the plethora of scriptures from the ot, lol
Some don't even try.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Indeed...

I haven't spanked my children in a while. Of course they are good kids and don't find themselves in a position where they need one and they are all getting older now.

But... we do talk to them a lot about stuff. I am sure I am opening up myself for the rebuke of some on this forum but...

The last few times we found ourselves in a situation that would call for a spanking we began as we always do... that is... we began by discussing what was done... why we do not do that... where in the Bible it speaks to this action... and how those scriptures should affect our actions if we are Christians.

During the course of the discussion/Bible Study that precedes any further punishment there was a true sense of repentance in the room. I (calmly and systematically... not with anger or loud communication) demonstrated with scripture why this is against the nature and spirit of our God and my child broke down in repentance.

To me... there is no spanking that will fix what a true spirit of repentance will fix.

Now... some of you may call me gullible but I am not. My kids ALWAYS cry when they are about to get a spanking... but I have found that these sessions where we discuss and point out the reason why we don't do these things and the scriptures that show us God's nature coupled with the fact that our goal as Christians is to emulate that nature will, often, bring about a spirit of repentance in their own spirit.

I have not seen a repeat offense of any of these issues which I have dealt with in this fashion
Good post.

Our kids also get more leniency when they are truthful the first time they are asked about something. Especially if they are obviously sorry about it. Now, that doesn't mean there aren't any consequences at all--if they've hurt someone else, they have to make it right. But if discipline is about bringing about repentance and a change in behavior, then there are many ways to get there other than, and often better than, spanking.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Could someone list some of these scriptures?