Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-18-2020, 08:24 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: Financial declaration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 God View Post
Everyone I know has been trying to rebuke the devourer(except unbelievers) all their saved days. It has become the daily nightmare of the saint, with the devourer standing there waiting to devour them. The RCC really pulled a fast one on Christendom.

Didnt God say that HE would rebuke the devourer? Is there any scripture for US doing it? It seems that if God wants the "devourer" gone thats His job to remove that particular impediment to our blessing.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
Didnt God say that HE would rebuke the devourer? Is there any scripture for US doing it? It seems that if God wants the "devourer" gone thats His job to remove that particular impediment to our blessing.
I didn't read that the devourer was the N.T. saints' adversary. I thought it was the devil. This means the devil is leading the saints not paying tithes?
Old 09-18-2020, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
This reminds me of the thread I started on the half shekel doctrine. One of the promises was that if you paid the half shekel you would not contract any communicable diseases. In light of the corona virus, I can testify that I know people personally who taught this doctrine that got covid. The truth will prevail.
I personally know two loyal tithe payers that just retired that died of covid. The devourer finally caught up to them after all these years? Man, that thing is ruthless.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

The devourer mentioned in Malachi is exactly what it says. When it is spoken of in the context of tithing it means that the devourer of the agricultural product that would be tithed is rebuked. In other words the produce would be spared from being consumed by the pest. If you were growing tomatoes, the devourer would be the hornworm. For cotton, the evil boll weevils. Squash bugs or stink bugs for squash. If you are growing potatoes, Colorado potato beetles are the devourer regardless of which state you live in. Purple hull peas? Deer love to devour them (usually right about the time you are just about to pick them).

So that’s the context of the devourer in Malachi. To say it is something else is just making it out to be something that it’s not.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
hogwash!

Someone really should compile a list. "Dumbest Things Ever said on AFF."

This would make the list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Is that some you’re comfortable debating?
Bump for Brother Hogwash!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:23 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

So, a little more context might be in order. When my pastor first started implementing this, he told me that someone sent this to him, and after praying it he began receiving financial blessings. It was after this that he decided to push it on the congregation.

As for me, I don't accept it. I literally stepped down from my position in the church, because it put me where I was directly responsible for posting it on the projector. I agree with my pastor on many subjects, but I do not agree on this one.

In the first place, I'm averse to simply reciting something in unison (unless we're reading Scripture, that is). If I'm praying, I'll use my own words to pray. It's the difference between sending a personalized letter vs plopping your name onto a form letter. One is personal, the other is not. God wants our relationship with Him to be personal.

Secondly, I disagree with the overall tone. Jesus may have spent much of His ministry teaching principles on money, but I can't recall a single time where Jesus (or anywhere else in the Bible) said we should pray for financial blessings. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. The only time Jesus ever blessed someone with money, was when he sent Peter out to fish and the fish had a coin in its mouth, which was specifically used to pay taxes (the whole "render unto Caesar" concept).
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
As I have often said, it is a baby step from “it is impossible to be saved unless you pay your tithes”, to “it is impossible to be lost if you ARE paying tithes“.
I mean seriously, just read this statement and ask yourself if this is true at all. I don’t need to enter into a debate or provide scripture to know that this statement is absolutely ludicrous, whether you believe tithing it not. If it was even remotely true then several pastors who once preached tithing is mandatory would now be replacing New Birth with the tithe. Or telling people without the Holy Ghost just to tithe to be saved. No one teaches tithing saves and no one teaches that tithing is the ONLY requirement to be obedient to God.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I mean seriously, just read this statement and ask yourself if this is true at all. I don’t need to enter into a debate or provide scripture to know that this statement is absolutely ludicrous, whether you believe tithing it not. If it was even remotely true then several pastors who once preached tithing is mandatory would now be replacing New Birth with the tithe. Or telling people without the Holy Ghost just to tithe to be saved. No one teaches tithing saves and no one teaches that tithing is the ONLY requirement to be obedient to God.
If we have two people who both have followed the plan of salvation. They are saved. They attend the same church and are pastored by the same pastor.

One tithes according to his pastors instruction. The other does not tithe according to the same pastors instruction.

Are they both saved?

Take your time.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If we have two people who both have followed the plan of salvation. They are saved. They attend the same church and are pastored by the same pastor.

One tithes according to his pastors instruction. The other does not tithe according to the same pastors instruction.

Are they both saved?

Take your time.
Sorry. I’m not playing. I simply called out the absurdity of your statement.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It is absolutely true. If you study the RCC doctrine of the indulgences you will see what is happening with the tithe doctrine. The RCC never said outright that you could buy salvation. They instead said that it would reduce your time in purgatory if you bought the indulgence.

We have pastors blatantly saying that it is impossible to be saved if you do not tithe. This means that tithing alone can tip the scales from saved to lost or vice versa. You seem to support this doctrine. It is no less than purchasing salvation. Which was purchased with Jesus’ blood. It is not a harmless doctrine. It is an extremely harmful doctrine to the man that teaches it as well as the sinner or saint who believes it. It is also an absolute lie.