Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Don't ask.

Re: Healing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeUncommon View Post
Love hearing opinions, but scriptural backing is what I'm most interested in, if anyone can provide it, as I have been unsuccessful reconciling this on my own.
James 5:15
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

John 14:13
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

1 John 5:15
And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylyates View Post
. . . He spoke to illness and it left. . . .
I don't recall Jesus speaking to illness. Got some examples?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Heard a preacher relate a story once about a man who asked the church to pray for his eyesight. the preacher looked at him and said 'Brother, you're 80 years old!'

Sometimes... well, you know...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

^^ This exactly. If healing is for all believers of faith,how would Christians ever die? Would we all have to go in horrible accidents?

It just doesn't mesh for me. But I really want to understand where they are getting this, IF it is scripturally based. If it is based on extra-Biblical resources...ugh. I don't hold stock in those.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
^^ This exactly. If healing is for all believers of faith,how would Christians ever die? Would we all have to go in horrible accidents?

It just doesn't mesh for me. But I really want to understand where they are getting this, IF it is scripturally based. If it is based on extra-Biblical resources...ugh. I don't hold stock in those.
I believe in healing, I have personally been healed and have known others as well.

That being said, it is a reality that not everyone gets healed every time. It was a reality back then in bible days, too.

Sometimes we seem to forget there is more to life than THIS life.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 05-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Healing was a big part of Christs ministry. He said we would do what he did if we believed. He said we would lay hands on the sick and they would recover.

This used to be a much bigger thing than it is now. One thing to consider in scripture is that an Apostles anointing is greater than ours.

The saints prayed for Dorcas and she died. Peter came and prayed and she came back alive.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Healing was a big part of Christs ministry. He said we would do what he did if we believed. He said we would lay hands on the sick and they would recover.

This used to be a much bigger thing than it is now. One thing to consider in scripture is that an Apostles anointing is greater than ours.

The saints prayed for Dorcas and she died. Peter came and prayed and she came back alive.
Paul's words on the connection between proper observance of the Lord's supper and sickness in the church might be relevant as well. When brethren do not fully realise we are ONE BODY and live accordingly sickness seems to be the result...

Old 05-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Love hearing opinions, but scriptural backing is what I'm most interested in, if anyone can provide it, as I have been unsuccessful reconciling this on my own.
Nothing "extra-biblical" required. Let me see if I can briefly outline the basics of the teaching as I understand (limited as it is!).

Exodus 15:26
26 And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.

Here the Lord introduces Himself to Israel as Jehovah-Rapha, Lit: The Lord our healer.

Exodus 23:25
25 And ye shall serve the Lord your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.

This was under the Old Covenant. We have a New Covenant, based on better promises. (Heb 8:6).

Psalm 103:1-3
Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

Note the connection made between forgiveness of sins and healing of ALL diseases. (This is important).

Isaiah 53:4-5
4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
(Again, note the connection between forgiveness of sins and healing).
This was a prophecy give under the Old Covenant and is sometimes referred to as a description of the "suffering servant." We encounter it again in the New Covenant.

1 Peter 2:24
24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
This is a direct reference to Isaiah 53. Note once more the distinction between forgiveness and healing and their link. Also, notice that Isaiah looking forward to the Cross said we "are healed." Peter looking back at the Cross says we "were healed." One a prophetic future tense, the other a fulfilled past tense.

(Those much better at Hebrew than I will demonstrate that the very language of the entire passage of Isaiah 53:4 is referencing bodily healing).
These two verses prove that healing is "in the atonement," on exactly the same basis as forgiveness of sins. Many contend that Peter is speaking of "spiritual healing." But look closely at another Scripture; this one from the life of Jesus. After the healing of Peter's mother-in-law, we find a most significant passage:

Matthew 8:16-17
16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

The physical (not spiritual) healing was a direct fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah 53.

This is a brief introduction to the Scriptural foundation for the teaching that healing is part of the finished work of Christ at Calvary. There is much, much more!

The scriptures clearly link forgiveness and healing. Why are we so willing to accept the one, yet so quick to reject the other? It is because we have been taught wrong for centuries. The legacy of the Pentecostal Movement as a whole is one of the restoration of healing as well as the many other contributions.

Most people, including me, are guilty of a tragic error concerning Scripture. When our experience doesn't match the Word of God, instead of bringing our experience in line with the Word, we explain away the Scriptures to accomodate our experience.

Our contention is that there are really only two things we need to resolve in our minds concerning healing:
1. Is healing the will of God?
2. Did God command believers to heal the sick?

If we could remove past experiences and teaching that negates the Scriptures, there would be no more hesitation or "doubt" about healing and deliverance than there is about "salvation."

(More information can be found at: http://www.jglm.org/index.php?option...=60&Itemid=161).

Last edited by larrylyates; 05-31-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Paul's words on the connection between proper observance of the Lord's supper and sickness in the church might be relevant as well. When brethren do not fully realise we are ONE BODY and live accordingly sickness seems to be the result...
You bring up an important point! Unity IS vital and we do not have it yet!
Acts 2:42-46
42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

They knew something we have forgotten. You are right to point this out.

However, let me throw something out there for your consideration.

Paul's words that you reference are found in: I Corinthians 11:23-30

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

There is much here that we could chew on all night and it would all be good. But allow me for a moment to consider this. There are two elements in the "Lord's Supper." The wine/blood and the bread/body. Now, I am in no way negating what you said above. I think it to be both valid and important.

But why two elements? Why Body AND Blood? It is His Blood that cleanses us from all sin. We all accept that without question. But what about the Body? What does that represent? The "Body of Christ?" Perhaps. That's certainly what is taught; what I have always believed. But the Church didn't even exist on the night of His betrayal and wouldn't come into existence until the day of Pentecost. Moreover, the Body of Christ, while certainly fragmented, it was never "broken FOR them." The "Body" which was "broken" for their benefit and ours, is the physical body of Jesus which was broken for us at the whipping post. Hence, Peter could say "by His stripes ye were healed."

Sin/sickness; Blood/Body; two problems/two solutions! Some of the old timers referred to it as "the two-fold cure." By not "discerning the Lord's Body" i.e., not properly understanding the healing provided by the Lord's
"broken body," many are weak and sick and a number have died.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
Maybe 'wrangling' was not the word I wanted. While I sincerely hope that there is something to your ideas I still believe and teach others that death is a part of life, perhaps the greatest part, as it is the end of this race. As such it can be seen as a victory of it's own, without dread, as it moves us one step closer to being with God. There is a way to die a good death, as much as possible, but it takes some preperation for most people... Something they are not getting help with, if we never admit, until they are unconcious and gasping, that they are indeed going to die.
I do quite a bit of Hospice work. You rightly point out that death is indeed a part of life. but how tragic that it so often comes through such awful means.
23 years I spent in the ICU and the Trauma Center. Death is a familiar part of my life as yours it would seem. I praise your work with those you help. I am sure you make a tremendous difference. That is awesome!

Consider something with me for a moment. (Bear with me, I'm not so good at this).
Death was never God's plan. It came as a result of sin! Paul writes:

1 Corinthians 15:54-56
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Earlier in the same Chapter he writes:

1 Corinthians 15:24-27
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

The Scriptures describe death as an enemy which will eventually be destroyed. We accept it as a natural and inevitable part of life. But it was never meant to be that way.

I believe in what you are saying. But to me (and maybe it's just me), it is simply an accommodation to our ignorance of how to walk in the authority and dominion that is ours as Children of God, In Christ. wish I had more answers. I wish everyone I prayed for on a vent or in a coma would wake up and breathe on their own. But that's not my reality.

I do know this however, since we have started ministering healing in this manner, as opposed to the way we were taught, our successes have increased dramatically.

In my own life in the past six months I have personally witnessed three absolute miracles. One woman was completely healed of thyroid cancer. A man in our Church was healed of Lymphoma. And Wednesday I received a call from a woman we had prayed with. Her sister has chronic COPD and was bedridden on oxygen and unable to walk with out a walker and then only for a few feet at a time. Two days after prayer she was standing at her sink washing dishes with neither oxygen or her walker. Her doctor's were "amazed."

I want this to be routine not "extraordinary." Unfortunately, I still have much to learn and there is still too much of ME in the way.

John 3:30--Now hangs over my desk:
He must increase, but I must decrease.