Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Apostolic Bible School in Tulsa

I recently came across some material stating that the late Bro. C.P. Williams from Tulsa established a bible school in 1939 that the UPCI endoresed in 1945but later withdrew its endorsement. Does anyone know why the endoresment was withdrawn and for how long did the school operate?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

Re: Apostolic Bible School in Tulsa

I 'm not sure of the dates, but they had a high school also. My uncle was a teacher at the high school in the early 50's.

He used my dad's CCC trunk (1930's) and it has decals from the Tulsa school.

My aunt often spoke of the Williams.

(I'm now the keeper of the trunk )

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

When I was 18 I went to ABI in St. Paul, MN for one year. It was close to Wisconsin where I lived at the time and my pastor, Bro. Lester Thompson, had gone there.

Another school that was recommended to me by someone other than my pastor, was IBC, International Bible College in San Antonio. This school had been established by Leonard Coote who was a UPC missionary but the school was no longer endorsed by the UPC.

There were also UPC Bible schools in Portland (Conquerors Bible College I think it was called), Oregon and WABC in California. Both of them were far away from a farm town in Wisconsin.

When I got to ABI I learned about two other UPC Bible Schools. One was PBI (Pentecostal Bible Institute) in Tupelo, Mississippi and one was AC (Apostolic College) in Tulsa. The general feeling in St. Paul that I picked up was that PBI was "weak on the doctrine" and AC was overly strict on standards --no wedding rings, no caffeinated drinks, only Dr. Pepper allowed.

We in ABI sorta looked down our noses at those "other" schools because we were considered the best taught and soundest in the doctrine.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
When I was 18 I went to ABI in St. Paul, MN for one year. It was close to Wisconsin where I lived at the time and my pastor, Bro. Lester Thompson, had gone there.

Another school that was recommended to me by someone other than my pastor, was IBC, International Bible College in San Antonio. This school had been established by Leonard Coote who was a UPC missionary but the school was no longer endorsed by the UPC.

There were also UPC Bible schools in Portland (Conquerors Bible College I think it was called), Oregon and WABC in California. Both of them were far away from a farm town in Wisconsin.

When I got to ABI I learned about two other UPC Bible Schools. One was PBI (Pentecostal Bible Institute) in Tupelo, Mississippi and one was AC (Apostolic College) in Tulsa. The general feeling in St. Paul that I picked up was that PBI was "weak on the doctrine" and AC was overly strict on standards --no wedding rings, no caffeinated drinks, only Dr. Pepper allowed.

We in ABI sorta looked down our noses at those "other" schools because we were considered the best taught and soundest in the doctrine.
And? Were you?
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
La vie est un voyage

Sam, I didn't remember about the Dr. Pepper thing. Bro.Williams told the women "if you want people to know you are married, get some kids to follow you around".

He was against any kind of jewelry and going to a Dr. for anything. The school was very, very, very strict but turned out some great preachers. I was there in 1950-1951 as a High School student and my brother graduated from the 8th. grade there. J B Lambeth was one of my high school class mates and we wrote to a couple of sisters from Texas, The Melton sisters.

I got into my share of trouble but had a lot of fun. The HS principal was Jack B. Still, a very nice and quiet man. I never thought he belonged there. Bro. Norman Dillon was the house master at the boy's dorm. There was two other Dillon brothers, Albert and ? who was students there at that time.

Peter Shebley was an instructor there the year before I went and his son, Dave Shebley, one of my best friends said that if one of the college students did something to displease CP he would make them stand through the service, which wasn't a short time.

I was the only HS student with a car and one time I was on restriction when the school was to go on an outing. I wasn't allowed to go until they decided they needed my car for transportation. That still amuses me.

The year after I left Tulsa I enrolled at ABI and worked in the office at the National Gould Battery company. Bro. Norris cut my year short because I had a fender bender with my car and hadn't turned my insurance policy into the school (didn't know I was supposed to).

I wanted to attend Coot's school in Texas but they dropped out of UPC during the Latter Rain outbreak.

I did graduate from Western Apostolic Bible College in Stockton, Ca. twice, once in 1964 and then again in1965..
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I'm just curious, why Dr. Pepper? And how did they get around the caffeinated drink rule and allow just one brand of pop?
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Sister Alvear

I loved the Williams very much. She took me to Brazil the first time I went...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNWORTHY View Post
Sam, I didn't remember about the Dr. Pepper thing....
The Dr. Pepper thing may have been a rumor. We heard that the people at the Tusla school were not allowed to drink Coke or Pepsi but could drink Dr. Pepper. At one time Coke had cocaine in it and "holiness" folks taught against drinking it. Dr. Pepper was non carbonated and made from natural roots, leaves, and berries or something unknown. It might not have been the caffeine thing although some holiness folks are against drinks with caffeine in them.

Well, one day some of us were looking through a yearbook from AC and we saw an ad for Dr. Pepper in the ad section in the back. We knowingly looked at each other because that "confirmed" the Dr. Pepper only doctrine in our eyes. We may have reached the wrong conclusion but it seemed to confirm what we had heard.

When I was at ABI, Lowell Mitchell was there. He had previously gone to AC.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
La vie est un voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I loved the Williams very much. She took me to Brazil the first time I went...
I'm sure she would have liked to take me somewhere and leave me.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
La vie est un voyage

I taught in Christian schools for 15 years and learned that students can best be controlled with love rather than overly strict rules.